This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.75 rockerarms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.75 rockerarms
    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 3:11pm
Will 1.75 rockerarms work in a 426 with stock camshaft? 
Sponsored Links

concretepumper View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concretepumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 7:33am
I have them in 2 3500's. Both stock cam. One has M&W pistons the other has Agco pistons and neither hit. Both running 3000 rpm.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 4:45pm

Better get the thicker pushrods, bent several in my engine.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:05am
Wouldn't that rocker help a stock field tractor? Are there any modifications needed to add them? If it would help one run better I wouldn't mind putting them in my 220 & 8070. Where do you buy such things. I am not a puller,just a farmer.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:16am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concretepumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 12:01pm
The two I put them in have all stock engine components with the fuel turned up and set to 3000 rpms. I noticed a more crisp and responsive acceleration. I had a cam cut for a different 426 by Vogal Cam in IL and Chuck Vogal told me that by not changing the duration of the cam that those 1.75 rocker arms would reverse flow the head. Maybe it does, I haven't be able to find out, but Chuck is a flat tapper guy
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Wouldn't that rocker help a stock field tractor? Are there any modifications needed to add them? If it would help one run better I wouldn't mind putting them in my 220 & 8070. Where do you buy such things. I am not a puller,just a farmer.

They would not last too long in field use since they are aluminum, and ride right on the steel rocker shaft. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 12:54pm
Ok. been this long....what's a few more years?
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 2:21pm
Please explain how changing only the rocker arm ratio will reverse flow a cylinder head - whatever that means.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 6:39pm
Opening the valves so far up to a point they no longer increase air flow. Keep increasing lift, the air goes in to reversion. Those poor old heads just don't flow a lot of intake air. Steve, a field tractor that gets a few hundred hours a year will last a long time I'm sure. I just wouldn't expect 5000 hours without premature wear, and needing re-adjusted. They are pressure lubricated, so....lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 7:55pm
Thanks Ed. I knew what that was, just didn't know that was what it was called.

So, a stock cam would have a lift of (I'm guessing here) .275 inches at the cam. Multiply that by 1.75 and you get .481 inches of valve opening.

A reground cam is between .350 and .370 inches at the cam typically (max). Using a stock rocker ratio of 1.5 to 1 you would get .525 inches lift at the valve.

My point here is the valve will open further with most reground cams and a stock rocker than it will with a stock cam and faster rockers. So if someone is trying to sell you a reground camshaft which will most likely open the valves farther, and then saying faster rockers are bad because they might open the valves too far, they might be talking out of both sides of their mouth.

The exception would be if he is going to grind a cam with a lower amount of lift.

It's always best to flow your head and see where it quits flowing at - no doubt about that. Boost pressure may also change that some, but I will admit I wouldn't begin to undertstand the science behind it.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 04 Jun 2019 at 8:26pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concretepumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:10pm
From what I understood after talking with Vogal was that the exhaust side of the cam is very inefficient on a 426 and by using greater ratio rocker arms that there is no gain in flow but would "reverse flow" the head. He said a reground cam changing the duration and advancing the cam degree with factory rockers would be the best. I'm no expert, just one that ask way too many questions
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concretepumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:22pm
Before going the route of a cam regrind on a different 426, I was looking for a easy way to add power and I had ran across the 1.75 roller rockers Murphys Motor sold. When I had talked to them years ago they had told me they had built a D21 pulling motor for a guy and had designed these rockers for him and decided to sell them to the public. They didn't have any spec on them at the time, just to check valve to piston clearance. I put them in all stock 426, spun the engine by hand than ran it. Both with these rockers are still running with more fuel and higher rpm since original install with no problem yet... (knock on wood)
Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 12:26am
The speed the valves open & close is very important.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic