This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11 B clutch ring unmovable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hd11b new owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11 B clutch ring unmovable
    Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:27am
Hi all I'm new to Dozers and have recently bought a Hd11b, I'm guessing around 1958 model I'm wanting to clear about 300 acres of light regrowth, and have come across an issue with the clutch adjustment ring, I believe its over adjusted and the ring is stuck unmovable, any ideas on how to loosen up the adjuster ring and any details about my machine would be great HD11B-7265
Regards Graeme
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:42am
are you using a bar to pry it or a punch and hammer?   obviously you only want to adjust when the clutch is disengaged.   try using a hammer and large drift to knock it loose,  if that doesnt work you may need to pull things apart and see whats going on.  i wouldnt be soaking it with any oils because you may compromise the clutch material.  

make sure the locking tab is disengaged if you didnt know there was one.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 28 May 2019 at 7:43am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Hd11b new owner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hd11b new owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:24pm
Hi Cal(KS) and thank you for your reply, I have disengaged the clutch loosened the locking Tab, and tried to move the ring both directions with a pinch bar and a Hammer and drift, it may have moved 1/4 an inch maybe less but its defiantly not moving more and I don't dare swing harder on the hammer, I can turn the entire assembly around but not just the adjusting ring. My Closest AC dealer is a 6 hour round trip away and after chatting with him on the phone he said it could be a dry clutch but to me visually its a wet clutch housing and the clutch has oil splashing around inside,
   The reason I need to adjust it is that the Machine creeps forward in gear with clutch lever forward, and its very hard to stop the shaft spinning with the clutch brake (clutch Brake New and adjusted) seems like the clutch is Over adjusted and I need to back it Off a Bit, the pull on the clutch lever is 30lbs operating manual says 10-20lbs, repair manual says 35lbs,

my guesses are

1. thread between ring adjuster and pressure plate is bound up bad( if there is a thread I don't know because I've never had it apart)

2. dry clutch plate installed in a wet clutch system, I don't know if the two are interchangeable just guessing,

3. mechanical failer in the throw out mechacnism of the clutch

any other possibilities or suggestions I'm all ears

I was hoping for a simple fix But looks like I need to pull the clutch assembly off, Any advice would be much appreciated on the removal of the assembly IE tricks to getting it out as Im a one man band, Thanks in advance
Graeme
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 7:44am
i have never been into a wet clutch machine.  I dont see how the ring could ever sieze up with oil on it, so it would undoubtedly have to be some kind of mechanical failure.  ie,   the clutch lining has pulled up and folded over/wedged,  a rivet has come loose in there,  or perhaps one of the cams has failed and gotten a piece behind the pressure plate.

sounds like youve investigated enough that pulling the assembly is required.   hopefully someone else will chime in here, maby we missed something

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 3:35pm
Is there a tab that is bent to hold it from turning

Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 6:40pm
Should be about a 1962 model, wet clutch started in 1961.  I wouldn't worry about adjusting it- as near as I can figure that creeping is just the nature of the beast.  We had two of them- HD11Es, a '62 and a '68, and they both were the same.  I talked to other guys who had the same problem.  In cold weather we would start them and let them warm up, then shut them off and fire them up in gear to get started, then shift fast!  No amount of adjusting of clutch or brake changed things- I went through the same things, backed off clutch, installed new clutch brakes, etc.  There just isn't enough clearance for the oil, and it creeps.  You can stop in initially with the brake, just for a second if the brake is tight, but then the oil will start to drive it.  It will even move the machine sometimes!  This problem may have been addressed with the redesigned Series B clutch, but I'm not sure..
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 6:41pm
Run the thinnest oil you can get 10W

Edited by Lazyts - 29 May 2019 at 6:42pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hd11b new owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:44am
Good News Guys,
I managed to loosen the adjuster ring and got the clutch lever pressure to 25lbs
It took one complete turn of the adjuster ring, sweats as, drove her out of the shed and the clutch brake is working  much better I,m cheering TongueTongueTongue just have to put the belly plate back on and im away, thank you very much for your help both of your replies helped considerably, Im going to research some thinner oil as well 5w or something like that, any how thanks again 
Cheers Graeme

oldyeller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldyeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 7:41pm
So how did you manage to get it loose? I am interested because I just purchased a HD6G that seems to have the same problem. any info would be great.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:15am
What cluch model ROCKFORD or AUBURN your machine use the adjustement is't the same and dry or wet cluch.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hd11b new owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:54am
Hi Guys, yes I loosened the locking tab then pryed the ring around it took super human force and two double jointed wrists 😁, it seemed that he dozer had been used with the locking tabs loose hence the clutch plate had over tightened to a redicious point, I used small crow bars and Tyre levers and Hammers and blocks of wood, I nearly fainted when I saw the ring just slightly move and the more I worked it the easier it moved,
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hd11b new owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:55am
Gem dozer it's a wet clutch model
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:16am
You could removed the tab lock and try adjusting clockwise and comback counturncluch wise  maybe the treads are like welding together .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic