This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvesting castanza grass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harvesting castanza grass
    Posted: 07 May 2019 at 3:11pm
Folks,
 Not sure where this should be. Anyway I got a call from my friend Gary and his fields were being harvested. A unusual crop for our area. This grass which get to be about 10 feet tall is dry and ready for the choppers

Claas chopper with duals, loading tracked trailers, hauled with Cat Challengers. Yea they mean business. 3 semi trucks were hauling it to mfg facility about 30 miles away.

Field exits were a little soupy and this guy was stopped by the local Sheffield soil!

The next field they were headed for. This was 2 year old grass. Very heavy and dense.

My understanding is it will be made into consumables like paper plates. Once planted it will keep coming back each year. Like a bulb type plant. Bulbs look kind of like a medium potato.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 07 May 2019 at 9:30pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 6:06pm
That's interesting, never heard of it before,w well does it yield, tons per acre?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:50pm
well, I hope it pays well, given what they have tied up in equipment
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:30pm
Folks,
 Not sure I know any of the answers. This friends farm is under contract to grow this grass. Not sure of those details. The company that makes the final product does the planting and harvesting. Yea some investment. But its not using trees and will grow back next year. Looks like great deer habitat too! This equipment just traveled 3 hours to get to this farm which is one of its furthest from the factory in Andover Ohio. I dont think there is much weight to the product?  Not sure how many tons are on a semi load?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 12:20am
thanks for posting this, it's interesting to learn where lots of different things are made with. lots of diversifications out there!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:48am
If the trailers are filled and any scales close, they are likely loading less than 48,000 lbs. To that we were hauling 900+ bushel on a 40x 8'6" round bottom dump trailer so could be closer to 1000-1100 bushel a trailer at the guesstimated weight.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:58am
So.....that's the typical way, that it's dry in the spring after wintering and that's when they chop it?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 1:22pm
It would make sense to wait until it's dried down as much as possible to save on drying costs, also if it is stored, they don't have to worry about it heating up.  Doesn't look like weeds would be a problem once it gets established.  I assume the land owner just gets paid so much per acre since the company does all the work.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

It would make sense to wait until it's dried down as much as possible to save on drying costs, also if it is stored, they don't have to worry about it heating up.  Doesn't look like weeds would be a problem once it gets established.  I assume the land owner just gets paid so much per acre since the company does all the work.
Yeah....just that the "stand strength" must be pretty awesome to ride out wind, rain, snow for all that time.  Obviously I suppose, if it has enough substance to make paper products, it has enough stem strength to ride it out.  Never heard of it before.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:11pm
Interesting crop! -- sounds like it might just have a place in the market. Hope it expands to other areas!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:52pm
Got any more information on that grass? I tried Google, but couldn't find anything.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:00am
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:40am
Thanks Dave.
I've been considering alternative crops, so anything new peaks my interest.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:17am
Folks,
The link looks to be correct Aloterra is the company he is hooked up with! I butchered the name of the grass! Sorry!
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 May 2019 at 8:52pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:12am
Miscanthus.....castanza ????  Wow, yeah, you butchered it!LOL  Never heard of that though either. 

4 - 16 tons per acre dry matter.  Quite a range, but the top end of that is pretty high.  Interesting.  Just need a market....
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:27am
Bet its hard on knives. Sounds like a great option for replacing trees in the process.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:47pm
Just watched a video on Youtube of the harvest.  It was in French so didn't understand much of what they were saying but it looks like they were burning it in a boiler for hot water.  It was a link to the Aloterra site.  They are expanding to 7000 acres this year to make 50 million plates and clamshell boxes.  Aloterra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic