This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Hand Crank Storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Hand Crank Storage
    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 7:42pm
Where the heck do i store the hand crank ?  The WD has some nifty hooks on the fender, though I dont see those on the CA.  It also doesn't seem to fit to well in the tool box. 

Also, My 6v system sure has a heck of a time getting it started.  I took the starter apart and cleaned it ... which helped a little, but its quicker to just use the hand crank ! 

Thanks - J
WD , CA
Sponsored Links

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:14pm
May need bigger battery cables. People have a tendency to put 4 gauge car cables on when they should be 1 gauge or 1/0 cables
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Boss Man Boss Man wrote:

May need bigger battery cables. People have a tendency to put 4 gauge car cables on when they should be 1 gauge or 1/0 cables

Boss man is correct. The 6 volt system needs more amps to the starter than a 12 volt system.
A good battery, starter & battery cables and that CA should spin right over.

Just click the link below

CA starting on 6 volt system
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
SGTJ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:20am
Yeah I saw that video .... which is NOTHING like how mine starts LOL  

So 1 Guage cables you say? 
WD , CA
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:34am
I would use 1/0 (AKA 0) or 2/0 (AKA 2/0), not 1 gauge. 6 volt battery terminals and connections must be kept clean, they are subject to problems with high resistance.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:41am
I use a braided ground strap and 00 for the neg.  Like said make sure all the connections are clean. With a good battery it should spin OK. Oh and hand cranks can fall off the hooks. I know.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 7:11am
The starter switch, which is mounted on the starter motor, can also be a problem. I guess that the originals from AC worked okay, but the contacts eventually wear and they don't make good enough contact to properly conduct electricity. I've tried a couple of reproduction switches - haven't found a good one yet. Fortunately the switch on my CA works pretty well. If you suspect that the switch isn't making good contact, disconnect the battery cable, remove the switch, and touch the cable end to the terminal on the starter. If it spins the engine nicely, the switch is failing you.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 7:28am
Dave(inMA) has posted a good way to check the starter by eliminating the switch from the circuit, but a word of caution: BE SURE the transmission is in neutral before you try it! The last one I replaced I got a Standard Motor Products one, cost more but has worked longer than the cheaper ones.
rustyorange45 View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyorange45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 7:51am
I too would like to know where the starter crank handle stores as well. I picked one up at yard sale of all places.
1953 WD45 WF/Model 90 Loader, Oxnard Rear Blade, 80R Mower, Model 209 Disc, WD Rear Mounted Scoop, Model 184 & 160 Rotary Mowers, 1952 CA NF/L306CA mower, 1953 CA WF/Model 8 Loader.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:03am
To securely store the hand crank, stand in front of the left rear wheel facing the steering gear. Hold the crank as in the following picture, with your right hand. Tip the left end of the crank down at approximately 45* angle and place it in behind the steering arm support.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 19 Apr 2019 at 9:17am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JaredC(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:32am
The crank for mine is stored screwed on the inside left fender with a cool screw thats weighted. Will see if I can get some pics.

A good 6volt system will start up great even in our winters here. Gotta make sure it's charged up and all the connections are clean.

Like said above, make sure you have some real big gauge wires from the battery.

Steve from NJ has all the electrical stuff you need if you can't find what you need locally.

Jared
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:09am
In my experience with 6 volt battery systems starting with my dad's first new car a 1954 Ford the battery posts and connectors need their contact surfaces cleaned twice a year. Back then I used a sturdy pocket knife to scrape off lead oxide down to a shiny surface on the outsides of the posts and the inside of the connectors. Since then there have been tools made specific for the job made, some use a couple wire brushes and some use mounted scraper knife blades. The scrapers do a more complete job than the brushes.

Gerald J.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

To securely store the hand crank, stand in front of the left rear wheel facing the steering gear. Hold the crank as in the following picture, with your right hand. Tip the left end of the crank down at approximately 45* angle and place it in behind the steering arm support.

This is where I carry my crank also. Never falls out.
Tom

SGTJ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:53pm
Got the hand crank storage figured out !!! Followed your directions and BOOM fits like a champ.

Also I’m pretty sure I have the appropriate sized cables on the battery ... they’re definitely larger then car cables
WD , CA
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:47pm
Don't know if that starter has a center bushing or not but if any of the bushings have much wear,they can let the armature drag on the fields. A quick look at the fields and armature can tell from scrape marks.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 6:49am
Hey would you take a pic of where you put the crank? 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by SGTJ SGTJ wrote:

Yeah I saw that video .... which is NOTHING like how mine starts LOL  

So 1 Guage cables you say? 

You may not find them at your run of the mill auto parts store. Go to some truck service center and see if they can help you. Take the existing cables so they'd know the length and which terminals to use. I'm not sure, but I think SteveNJ here fabricates them too.
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 9:13am
I use the 2/0 on my CA.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
JaredC(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 9:18am
Took awhile but here's the pic of how it's stored on mine:

Think its cool how the screw on deal has one side larger/heavier than the other...putting gravity to work even if it's just screwed on lightly it'll never loosen up completely!

Jared
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic