This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

28 inch rears on a CA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 28 inch rears on a CA
    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 10:48am
I've been picking PaulB's brain for Ideas and options I have to accomplish this and maybe be more competitive.   After getting a second place to a C with 28s at the LA State Fair last fall in 3000. I want to be ready to stomp this nice guy this year.
     All things being equal between my CA and his C except  his 28s and my 24s has got to tell me something.
    Rules for "Farm Stock" are pretty loose. First gear only with a  3.5 speed limit. Drawbar height 20", length longer than 16" from center of rear axle. Tire Size- One size over stock.
    Hardley anybody shows up to pull in 2500. On Friday night pull for fun we can get 3 hooks. Saturday is usually just two hooks for  awards.
     I have choices of 2 pulls in any light class . 25,30 and 3500.  They have what is called "Farm stock" and Farm Stock "Competative" where suitcase weights are allowed and you can run in any gear. There are ways to pull twice  in any weight class you feel comfortable in competing in.

So far nobody seem to care how non-stock I am now. Painted Orange my parts look All Allis
     Paul's last idea was find MH Mustang 28" wheels and rims. Tire Size??  Supposed to be a bolt on swap to a CA.  Where do I look?   Anybody close to NE-TX have what I need to go from 24 11s with 13-6 field and road rubber on Farmall A steel wheels to 28s (any combination) REAL CHEAP ?.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 10 Mar 2019 at 11:03am
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 11:19am
And you've got enough engine to turn those bigger diameter tires ??
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 12:23pm
When you are only going to pull in “grampa” gear a CA is considerably slower than either a B or C so it can turn a lot more tire that most think it can, even with a bone stock motor. I personally would go for something like a 14.9X28 with good tread for bad tracks. The best option would be to bend the arms of the club rule makers to allow at least 4.5 MPH and run 2nd gear with 12.4X24 tires. Although when you have the club higharchy running tractors with only a half of a motor they are scared of anything faster than a crawl. A while back the club locally to me changed the rules to creepy-crawly because no one could beat me and I was taking the high points overall for the year away from one of the in crowd.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:11am
We run 14.9 x 28's on our CA with really good results, top cut only. 2nd and 3rd gear, 4 and 6 mph but the motor is not stock. Tires do well on hard or soft tracks with air adjustments.
JoeO(C-MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(C-MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:01pm
I have two 6-hole (CA, D10, D12) for 6 loop, 28 inch rims off of an Avery with large weights if needed.
D10 III, D15 II 3 pt, D15 II SC, 170 Gas w/shuttle, 175 Diesel UI ROPS, 185 w ROPS. AC 653 w/6 way blade, ROPS
AC 615 Ind. WD45 running/Parts.
Bodean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 1:45pm
Well it's been a while since we last talked,I'm glad you still have the CA and to tell you the truth I'm usually the one playing catch up lol. The reason I'm writing is to ask do you still have those front weights,if so I would like to buy them.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 5:55pm
Yes.    The B/C engine side weights are here waiting for a guy from Louisiana to buy them. When is the next pull in this part of the world where Orange Tractors are hard to beat? What size 28 tire are you running on your C ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 6:09pm
Paul B
     Bodean is the feller that broke his C on Friday Last Year at the Henderson Pull. He followed me home and we pulled a final off a parts C and he and a few other pullers made the final drive swap so he could pull his C against me again on Saturday.
     Next pull at Shreveport he got even with me for giving him a second chance in Henderson by outpulling my CA with that old rusty-crusty C

Edited by Ken in Texas - 22 Mar 2019 at 7:16pm
Bodean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:04pm
That is very hurtful Mr.Ken that you would call my beautiful C rusty and crusty Hahaha. Those tires are 12-4 28,they came off a wd45 I had a adapter plate made to mount them on the axle. I'm probably not coming to Henderson but Thomas Sitton is I'll let him pick them up for me. Again I sure am glad you didn't sell that CA.

Edited by Bodean - 19 Mar 2019 at 9:30pm
Bodean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:29pm
The next pull in your part of the world is in athens TX. April the 13th. Me,Kenneth and Richard are coming to that one,be good to see you.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 9:29am
April 13 is the weekend before Henderson.   The Canton TX Tractor Swap Meet is April 5&6. Since I scrapped Tons of AC parts I won't have much orange to sell at a Swap Meet.
I'm open to Pull At Athens too. Will you want the weights for Athens Bodean?   Hope the weather is perfect for Pulling.
    Are you, Kenneth and Richard planning to spend Friday night in Athens. If you are you can camp out here for FREE in my Guest Room upstairs in our barn Friday night.

If not I can meet you guys on 31 at Kilgore and convoy 31 to Athens early on Saturday the 13th

Edited by Ken in Texas - 21 Mar 2019 at 9:50am
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 1:11pm
Well I guess that will keep you two close to home that weekend. We are also having a pull near Annapolis Md. April 13th, then another May 11th.  I will pay the entry fee for anyone that shows up to pull in the 2500 pound class, I will also give a $50 Outback Steakhouse gift card to the class winner. I'll do just about anything to get more support for this class to keep it going. This class is in danger of being cut. I wish you two or anyone else with a 2500 pound tractor could make it to our pulls. 
Bodean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 9:34pm
Well it's been a long day I'm just now sitting down. Yes sir I'll need those wieghts there. If you will give me a call we can discuss where we are staying Friday night. My #318 547 7900. It might possibly be 5 or 6 of us coming.
Bodean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 9:47pm
I sure wish I was in Annapolis that weekend, free pull and a steak supper cuz that is almost enough to make me drive from Louisiana to Md. Don't really know why people want to pull those heavy tractors those little ones are so much fun(and easy to haul).
Bodean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 9:49pm
I sure wish I was in Annapolis that weekend, free pull and a steak supper cuz that is almost enough to make me drive from Louisiana to Md. Don't really know why people want to pull those heavy tractors those little ones are so much fun(and easy to haul).
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:29am
Out here in WA, started with 2 CA's and 3 yrs later we have about 9- or 10 good 2500 to 3000 lb "small" pullers. These classes are becoming   very popular, rivaling the 3500 and 4500 classes. We also have a KOH class @ 3250 for them. So far, the speed is 3mph but we are looking to add a 6mph too. (KOH classes)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 1:15pm
The pulls here in North East TEXAS and Across North LOUISIANA generally follow the EDGETA Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Assn Rules for pulling. Most Pullers carry a EDGETA Membership card and are covered by EDGETA Insurance even if the event  not a  EDGETA Sanctioned Event. 
 To be covered by EDGETA Insurance at ANY TRACTOR RELATED  EVENT  it must be listed and approved in the EDGETA BRANCH Home Clubs Minutes as a Approved Home Club Activity
      Insurance is the sticky subject  when it comes to first gear pulling and a 3 MPH Speed Limits.   Why the powers that  be got it in their heads that Pulling a Weighted Sled at more 3 MPH is UNSAFE blows my mind.    Pulling that slow is like taking a hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes

Edited by Ken in Texas - 22 Mar 2019 at 7:23pm
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 6:06pm
Our class is real pulling as it was meant to be: Weigh 2500 pounds, 2 wheel drive, have wheelie bars, engine of the same number of cylinders as original and bolt in without modifications. No speed limit, if engine RPM is over 10% side shields. A single turbo is allowed. 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 2:12pm
Ken: To stay under the 3.5 MPH your local rules require you can only use Gramppa gear. Even with the standard tire 11.2X24 you will travel 3.5 MPH in second gear. If you have been staying under 3.5 MPH in 2nd with your 13.6X24 tires, either the speedometer on the sled is not properly calibrated or you are getting a lot of slippage, as with 13.6 tires at 2000 RPM a CA travels 4.44 MPH in 2nd gear. 3.67MPH @ 1650 RPM.
  That is why you are getting beat by the tractors that are using taller tires, the increase in ground speed makes their motors work a little bit.
   Just for fun many years ago when I was running 12.4X24 tires I weighted up to 5000 pounds and pulled in a class of about 30 tractors.  this was with a relatively stock motor. Surprisingly I was in about the middle of the pack and was still turning nearly full RPM when I spun out. A CA is just geared tooo slow in 1st gear to pull well in the classes it should be pulling in. 
   If you could use tires that are fully cut, I have a pair of 13.6X28 Firestone tires I'd make you a good deal on. with these you would go 2.76 MPH in Grampa gear at 2000RPM, as opposed to the 2.5 MPH @2000 RPM with the tires you have. 
   You could probably really do well with a pair of 14.9X28 tires as I understand you have some crappy loose tracks to pull on. This would have you travelling 2.87 MPH @2000 RPM. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic