This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC Flail Chopper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Flail Chopper
    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 2:02pm

Anyone have any information, regarding the Oppel Harvester Co. and it’s relationship with AC? Picked up this AC flail chopper this weekend, and would like some more insight; model 80 or 800, years produced, etc.? I looked through Swinford’s book as well as Wendel’s, and can’t seem to find any information on them. Serial # C50062. Thanks!

Edited by Bigrigger - 03 Mar 2019 at 2:05pm
Sponsored Links

acjwb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acjwb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:35pm
Where did you find that?
Bigrigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 7:14am
Machinery sale in Ohio
acjwb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acjwb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:24am
Kidron?   I knew I should have went.   If you want to sell, please let me know.
Bigrigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 1:32pm
Yeah, it was at Kidron. I plan on restoring it to use on our farm. Only thing that is missing is the left side PTO shield. I’ll probably just fab one up for it if I can’t find a replacement.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 9:19am
AC had a partnership with Oppel a few years where they marketed flail shredders, potato harvesters, beat defoliators and beet harvesters. 

I have seen a number of these shredders around and know of two that are still in good condition. 

I think when the partnership on the potato harvesters ended so did everything else with Oppel.  I do not believe they are in business anymore either. 

Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
Bryan L View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:15pm
Oppel Harvester was located in Boise, Idaho. They made equipment for
several different equipment companies such as AC, Farmhand, and Gehl.
Some of Heston's equipment may have came from there its been so long I
Can't remember. Oppel is long gone and site has been flatten and even
the railroad is gone and is part of Boise's green belt. The highway is
now a county road.

Bryan l.
Emmett, Idaho
Bigrigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 6:40pm
Thanks for all the great information so far! Any idea as to what years these would’ve been produced? I’m assuming these preceded the 56f flail harvesters?
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 11:35pm
Does anybody have one of these they use? I fixed one up last year, and used it a little in the fall but it vibrates so bad it kicks the PTO out on the 190, bearings are good, U joints are good, flails all looks good and don’t see any damage on the rotor itself, curious if the vibration was normal on these(which I highly doubt) and if anyone else uses one.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 1:27am
just a guess. But the 56f parts we have are sold as sets, and says there balanced. 
It be a lot of work but take all blades off then run it. And weigh each blade then put same weight opposite of each other.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 7:50pm
That would be a good idea to try. Maybe it doesn’t take much for it to be that out of balance either
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 12:20am
When dad started cutting silage in the 1950's the guy had an AC flail chopper. He pulled it with a WD 45. But it did not look like that. Dad bought one at a sale in the 1980's. It looked like the one I remember being used in the 1950's. It did not vibrate. Do you have the PTO shaft slid together out of sync? It has happened in the past and they can shake if they are out of sync.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:48am
it probably was a 56f
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:34am
  Howdy Carl,
   I had 2 working 56F's. One I restored and one for using. D15 wasn't big enough. Used my 185 and it worked great. As far as vibration goes, there were 36 knives that swivel on a shaft. These knives had to stay free swinging, if they did not you goy plenty of vibration! I had to first get all knives free by oiling and heat. Then keep them free with oil. The knives were steel on steel with no bearings or brass sleeves. So it was a job! Built around 1960 and in LaPorte.

Kurzy
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:40pm
PTO shaft has an alignment spot weld.

I did not think about checking to see if all of the flails swing free, I will have to check that. I’ve also heard of the rotors cracking and filling with dirt, hoping that’s not the case.
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 1:56pm
Carl...Did you take the drive belts off and just  run the drive line?  Also those large bore pulleys have  an adapter keyed bushing.  Any wobble in the rotor pulley.  I hope you don't get to that point...Those type choppers were brutes and could run close to the ground until.... you hit a stone...Just adding to other idea's....I know if you find it, you will know what to do...Dale  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 12:04am
I didn’t think about checking the pulleys for wobble, I will check that. Thanks Dale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic