This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

720 Forage chopper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 720 Forage chopper
    Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 8:07pm
I was looking online and came across some pictures of a John Deere 34 forage chopper and noticed that it resembles my 720 Allis. Just wondering if anyone else had ever noticed this and if there was any relationship between the two.
1960 D-12,1948 WC, 1973 160, 1977 175, 1984 6060
Sponsored Links

tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 8:58am
I to have thought about them being alike. If so then Allis copied Deere as the 34 was introduced in 1966. The 34 was only an ok machine and not really great. I would have thought Allis could have come up with something better. I recently looked at a nice 720 that only had a hay head for sale. I still might end up owning it. I was disappointed that there was no corn head. Tom
H Clark View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 7:59pm
The 720 seems to be scarace. I have two one that my cousin bought new and it has very little use. It has a two row head and the hay head. I bought another one for parts with a one row head. Other than pictures I have never saw another one. There is an allis chopper for sale near me that has been advertised for over a year now. They started out at $1500 but have dropped the price to $550. I think I’m going to go look just to see what it is.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 8:00pm
I thought that all John Deere's had blowers, whereas the Allis had a "cut and throw" cylinder, so I doubt that they would look very similar. I could be wrong though. darrel
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:48am
The Deere 34 was a cut and throw and side by side looks real close to the 720 Allis. Tom
H Clark View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:31pm
Darrell your exactly right. You are wrong about the John Deere 34. Lol.        The base machine looks almost identical to the 720. I wonder who actually made it and if Deere and allis May have outsourced them from somewhere else. I hope so because it would kill me to think allis copies it from Deere. I guess my main concern would be if parts were interchangeable. Not that I need anything but in the future who knows. I have never saw a 34 Deere up close to further inspect but if I ever see one I will be sure to look closer. I was hoping someone here had already found the answer.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 4:10pm
I have several chopper including an Allis 780, Deere 12,34,35 and a 3940. I looked at a nice 720 a few weeks ago but have not got it bought yet. They look close but I do not think any parts will interchange. I would have already bought the 720 if it had a corn head. It is real nice shape but only has a hay head. I like to use my choppers a few loads each year so a corn head is a requirement. Next on my list is an IH 55 or 550. I also have an Allis forage box. Tom
Noel Brown View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noel Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 7:03am
Just wondering if you have any parts for 720 allis Chalmers silage chopper you would sell or know of one I could buy for parts doesn't have to have a corn head on it my number is 606 383 3108 thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic