This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how many of you DIY'ers...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how many of you DIY'ers...
    Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:04am
use china drywall?
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:11pm
Never.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:23pm
Nope
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:45pm
heck I'm still 'upset' that Canucks ship gypsum 'down south' and then I have to buy Made in USA drywall.. which costs LESS than the stuff mined 19 miles from me.
I would suspect the Chinese DW would be high in 'other minerals'....
What I've never understood is HOW anyone can make 'something' and pay to burn millions of gallons of diesel to get 'it' here AND they make money, meanwhile locals ,with zero transport costs, go belly up...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 3:00pm
years ago I was think'in about re-siding the house with the log look. a local mill sold 6 inch and 8 inch covering...then contacted a company in Canada and spoke to them, they would deliver to my driveway what I wanted cheaper than the local mill would do it!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:29pm
It HAS to be something with our gubmint.   ALL kinds of things that are equal pretty much, and they can ship it to me and for half the cost I can get it for here.

Then there is the CHEAP chit that you don't want.....TONS of that stuff.

I don't do drywall, that's my neighbors business and I don't paint inside......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:42pm
There was alot of problems with Chinese drywall. But for some time the paper on our drywall was recycled so many times that is was inferior. Problem was China was paying more for the better paper. I asked someone that worked for a company why they sent raw materials to China to have products made and shipped back to the states. His answer was we could do it cheaper here through automation but corporations didn't want to wait 5 yrs for the payback. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:53pm
It's been a few years since I last dry walled.  Never looked at where it was made.  It always seemed to be the same as stuff I had always used.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 6:09pm
Humm? Must go do drywall stuff NOW! Wish me luck!
I never looked to see where it was made?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 6:27pm
Had a bad load of the Chinese stuff get into US market eight or ten years ago, people installed it and the problems started, allergies, corroded wiring, corroded pipes and metal on plumbing parts, all manner of illness. Homes became toxic nightmares and had to be totally gutted then washed down to stop whatever was in the sheetrock.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/chinese-drywall-problems-health-effects-32402.html
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:10pm
 Chit ,,,,,this is the first I've heard of this,,,I actually like to do drywall,,cause of bein able to see how you can make something look good out of some holes and corners,,,,,ClapClap 
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:13pm
I think I was watching This Old House when they were messing with moldy drywall.
 When researching to find where the black mold came from,
 they found it was in the drywall to begin with.
 The drywall was the source of the black mold.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:48am
 Is the china stuff labeled as being from china,,,?? Or,,how can you tell,,??
I might be havin to do some later,,,,,
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Humm? Must go do drywall stuff NOW! Wish me luck!
I never looked to see where it was made?
Regards,
 Chris
I think your home free Chris Wink, how every it turns out. If good, because of you. If bad China's fault,LOL bad product to start with.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:20pm
Nope- not at all... not if I can figure it out.  Problem is, there's lots of "US Companies" that second source through foriegn suppliers... and the end result is, that they can 'claim' it to be something that it actually is NOT.   Like buying a US-MADE car.... I could go buy a Buick today, and damned little of it is actually made in the US.

The issue is really a matter of problems, and support.

First problem, is that stuff coming from China is, in practical terms, unsupported in the short-term:

Sure, if you go to Horror Fright and buy a pipe threader, and it breaks before finishing the first pipe, you could take it back, and they'll trade you even-up for another pipe threader, or give you an 'in-store credit' for some other thing that doesn't thread pipes...

But let's say you bought that to do a Sunday morning job that needs seven pipe fittings... and now you've expounded resources to acquire not one, but three pipe threaders, and the job is still not done.  The money, and the tool is not the issue... it's the fact that the job did NOT get done... at all.  You can spend your time to make money... but all the money in the world won't buy back that Sunday morning.

Next problem, is that it's totally unsupported in the long-term.

You put drywall up in your house, only to find out six years later that it not only outgasses sulphur into the walls, destroying plumbing, and electricals, it was permeated with black mold spores, which have destroyed the structure of your home's main floor, and now your new house is totally ruined.

And the manufacturer no longer exists... they actually didn't 'exist' in the first place.  Now what do you do? 

Sure, you could sue contractors, supply companies, etc., to get your house replaced... deal with insurance companies, lawyers, court time, etc., to get settlements...

and in the long run, there's still some crap-hole factory churning out lower-priced crap doing business under some other name that isn't punished dearly for cutting corners.

So the answer is no.  By the way... I'm exceptional at making machines and electronics work, a pretty effective artisan with ferrous and non-ferrous metals... darned good at building a strong wooden structure, insulating walls, filling in gaps in a floor, and getting plumbing and electricals well placed, secure, and sealed... and not half bad at making a watertight roof... I can pour concrete, and it'll usually be square and fairly flat after it sets up... and I can make drywall fairly flat...

..but don't expect me to mud and tape it worth angus excrement... and certainly DON'T think I'll get a coat of paint to look good, either.  As a result, I'm more than willing to hire a guy that can do it well, and I make sure they bid the good materials, and I tell them I don't choose lowest-bid, I choose the BEST bid.  Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic