This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2900 or 649 Block?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2900 or 649 Block?
    Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:18am
I'm about to begin a build of a 190XT for a 7000lb Super Light Mod Farm class.  330 cubic inch limit, 2.3 charger, 3100 rpm.  I have a 649 block, but was wondering if the 2900 block in the XT will suffice?  I wouldn't mind saving the 649 block for a light pro stock motor in the future, should I ever get that far....lol.  I will get the rods hardened, etc.  Thanks for the input.  Cheers.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:38am
It would work, but you'll be stuck with the older camshaft driven oil pump if you do. Unless you get creative and get a newer wide front gear crankshaft and make a mounting plate for the crankshaft driven oil pump. If you get into the 1972 model year or newer, a 200 tractor is still a 2900 but has these newer features. XT's don't.

Edited by DrAllis - 07 Jan 2019 at 7:40am
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 11:53am
Thanks Dr.  I will likely go with the 7020 block that I have and look for another one for a Light pro motor down the road.  Cheers.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:12am
Use a external pump then use either block.     MACK
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 10:48am
Thanks, Mack.
Relayman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:55pm
We are using a 7020 crank-driven oil pump on our two charger LLSS with no issues. We found the 7020 uses gears that are 0.883" wide versus the standard 0.668".
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:03am
For what it's worth, the AGCO parts website shows 7020's with two oil pumps. The serial number break is 49-15229. I'm guessing after that s/n is the larger capacity oil pump and prior to that s/n was the narrow gears like a 200-7000-7010.  Personally, I've set up a couple of tractors with a small 4 GPM pump mounted where the hydraulic pump would normally go. This small pump sucks oil out of the side of the oil pan (internal outlet screen) and pumps engine oil to the steering orbitrol. From the orbitrol oil goes thru a remotely mounted 74027979 A-C engine oil filter and then into the left rear corner of the block into the main oil galley. This way, we are supplementing engine oil flow for the second turbo and piston oil cooling. Also, because this circuit is lower GPM's even at 4500 RPM, the filter never bypasses, so the engine oil is always being filtered, even while going down the track. I have a check valve at the entry to the block to prevent loss of oil pressure if this small second pump ever failed (which it has not). We have never had main or rod bearing problems, going several seasons without changing them. Good quality 15W-40 engine oil is all we have ever used.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:43pm
Just curious on this last post Dr Allis, the engine oil is used for power steering too ?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 3:03pm
Yup. That steering orbitrol doesn't know (or care) what kind of oil is pumped thru it. We have power steering and extra oil volume for engine components. The oil pan was deepened to hold another 6 quarts of engine oil.
bsallis180 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsallis180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:42pm
What 4gpm pump was used?
Acllss puller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acllss puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:08pm
Kevin I have gear and crank available think I have the pump too .
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:12am
The 4 GPM pump we used was from a Northern Hydraulics catalog (Concentric? brand) and cost less than $100. This has been 12 or more years ago, but I think it was rated at 4 GPM @ 3600 RPM's. The power steering doesn't work well until you throttle it up a bit, but with a Crower Glide clutch that is just fine.

Edited by DrAllis - 20 Feb 2019 at 7:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic