This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

720 Cold Start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 720 Cold Start
    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 9:27pm
My 720 is really difficult to start first thing in the day.  Hasn't been getting that cold at night, maybe down to freezing.  Warms up pretty nice to mid 40's during the day.  Have been needing to use ether most times to start it first time for the day.  After that, starts and runs well.  Is this characteristic of the 720's?  Do others have this issue?  Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 8:52am
Check the choke cable. Sometimes they get loose in the clamp and the whole conduit moves and not the cable. I've had customer's tell me that with their 620/720's...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 10:17am
It is moving on the carburetor.  I looked at that first thing, but I'll check it again. 
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 6:02pm
Ive found if I haven’t run mine for a month or so it does take a few turn overs to fire up. But I wouldn’t say its hard to start. One of my 720’s starts better than the other, but cant complain about either tractor. Good plugs, timing, battery, points are all very important for easy starts. One of my 720’s has over 1,100 hrs and still starts and runs very well. Key is not to flood it. Doesn’t take much throttle and choke to have her running.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Krazy Karl View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 7:54pm
Check that the choke butterfly is fully closing in the housing. Check fuel line that isn't cracked and bleding fuel back
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
Well, went out this morning to double check the choke cable.  I was able to move the choke a miniscule amount.  Started up after only a few cranks over.  Adjusted the cable a little bit.  We'll see if that remedies the situation.  Thanks for the input.  Dave
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 10:53am
Tried it again this morning, and it fired right up.  Guess that slight amount of choke adjustment made quite a difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic