This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

172 Mower ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 172 Mower ??
    Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 12:27pm
Anyone know where the serial number is located on the mower?
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:18pm
I believe it was on a separate bracket, on the rear side of the mower.  Often missing, due to rust.  Post a pic, and we can tell if it is AC, or the earlier danuser made unit...Wink
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:21pm

Here is a link to a previous discussion in 2011

There is a picture of a Serial Plate.

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/pat-the-plumber-here-is-your-172_topic32364.html
JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:03pm
Thanks for the link to previous posts. The reason I asked for the S/N location is because there is a S/N break for quite a few of the parts in the Operating Instructions & Parts List Form TPL-527 B. The break is at 6-6001 for the Model 172, and 5-5001 for the Model 160. Mine is made by A-C. I think the photo of the S/N plate in the link may be of the earlier mower, as I don't recognize the bracket it is riveted to.  Anyone have the A-C manufactured 172 that you can positively ID your S/N and the location?
JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by JimWenigOH JimWenigOH wrote:

Thanks for the link to previous posts. The reason I asked for the S/N location is because there is a S/N break for quite a few of the parts in the Operating Instructions & Parts List Form TPL-527 B. The break is at 6-6001 for the Model 172, and 5-5001 for the Model 160. Mine is made by A-C. I think the photo of the S/N plate in the link may be of the earlier mower, as I don't recognize the bracket it is riveted to.  Anyone have the A-C manufactured 172 that you can positively ID your S/N and the location?

Well to anyone interested, I took a flashlight at night and started the search for the elusive 172 S/N location on my mower. It took me all of 2 minutes to find it. Shining the light across the surface makes things show up better. The Serial Number for the A-C made 172 Mower is located on the top of the Left Hand "rail" that runs from front to rear of the deck. My S/N was centered 10" back from the front. My S/N is 6-1740, an earlier one. I would be curious to know what other S/N's are out there if you care to post them.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 8:59pm
Hmmm.... I've got a 160. Wonder what my S/N is...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic