This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Washington DC visit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Washington DC visit
    Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:58pm
Just got back from a quick trip to DC.  A couple things that really made to trip special.  We stayed at an AirBnB.  Really nice people and they provided us a suite for half the price of the hotel room I had chosen.  And, it was perfectly located. 

We went to the Hillwood Manor.  It is a private collection and contains a huge collection of USSR antiquities.  We had a really good time.

We went to the zoo.  We saw giant pandas, a really awesome first and something we may never do again.  Being it was chilly out we got to see many creatures we usually don't on hot summer days.  What was a real surprise was the cheatah was out all day and still out after dark when we left.

The zoo also had a huge display of christmas lites.  They even had one display changing colors and blinking on and off to christmas carols.  It was a very nice display.

For only being there for two days we had a very fulfilling trip.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:11am
We went to DC 10 or 12 years ago and had a good time. We toured the Capitol, Mount Vernon, went to the zoo, saw a Nationals game, went to the museum of American history and the museum of natural history. The most awesome and touching thing we did was a nighttime monument tour. They were all lit up and very pretty. There was a Vietnam vet on the tour and when we went to the Vietnam memorial he saw his sergeants name and got a little emotional. It was pretty touching. We'll definitely go back when the kids get old enough to appreciate it. If you get a chance to go back you should. The best omelette I've ever had was at the TGI Fridays at Regan intl airport

Edited by thendrix - 08 Dec 2018 at 7:16am
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:19am
Been there pre 9/11, and post 9/11. How things changed. I was standing in the path of the little plane that tried to crash into the White House the day before it happened. (you can’t get there anymore). I was at Arlington when it happened.

One of the most beautiful buildings, inside at least, was library of Congress. Simply amazing. They had the Gutenberg’s Bible on display. And a tribute to Bob Hope’s troop shows.

Edited by Tbone95 - 08 Dec 2018 at 7:20am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:58pm
Wife and I went to DC on the Honor Bus a couple of years ago, very impressed and glad I didn't have to drive in all that traffic and on the way home we stopped at flight 93 crash sight. Very nice, educational trip.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 4:07pm
Too bad you were in such a hurry, I'm a little over an hours ride north of DC. Last time I went to the Smithsonion was on a bus trip. I'll go into the city with the tractor trailer only if I have to and would never consider going into town with a car and trying to find a place to park and then having to pay the extortion for the privilege.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 4:41pm
I lived in northern Baltimore in the very early '70's, Baltimore, DC and northern Va was my assigned service area. They was building the subway in DC at the time....what a horrendous mess! I don't miss any of it
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:24pm
Went there about 20 years ago. The Viet Nam Memorial was quite a moving experience, found the names of several friends there. Visited there, the Tomb of the Unknown, and the Smithsonian. Parking was not a hassle back then but I am sure they have managed to mess that up by now.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:40pm
Last time I was there was purt near 35 year ago, and I have had no desire to go back, and I only live a half hour away...Wink
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 6:08pm
We had no problem finding free parking on side streets.  The traffic was a little heavy during rush hours, but nothing that couldn't be navigated.  Other than driving  around down town around the mall and Smithonian, we spent most time driving on Conneticut and Wisconsin Ave.  I guess I would have to think that traffic was lighter on Wed. because all of the Fed workers got the day off in honor of G.H.W.B.  I wish we lived closer, we would go more often.  There is so much to see and do.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:08pm
We just got back from spending a week and a small fortune in DC also.  Been driving in KC traffic for 30 years so DC traffic wasn't much different, just more lanes.  Honestly I enjoyed the National Gallery of Art museum, directly North of the Air and Space museum, more than any of the others.  I was in awe of the size of the Lincoln Memorial.  I watch people and most were very respectful of the memorials, especially the foreigners, some, very few, but some just went about their regular way talking back and forth.
Maximum use of available resources!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 1:13am
I go almost every September with a group of Farmers Union Members to visit our reps and try to push our AG agenda, such as passing the farm bill.  We usually get part of each day off, or sometimes come in a day or two early.  Been to most of the museums, although that is really a lie as every time I 'm there I find another one or two and don't have time to see it that trip.  I always walk down to the Lincoln Memorial, passing the WWII memorial, Washington monument, Korea monument (the freakiest one to walk through on a dark, foggy night) and then to the Viet Nam wall.  Always keep hoping the names of people I knew aren't on it but they always are.  In 2012 I had a car and drove out to the Air and Space Museum at Dulles, probably my favorite, as it has just about every kind of aircraft you can think of and then some.  There is a new monument being built on the south side of the mall near the Department of Education building.  It is for Dwight Eisenhower, barely out of the ground this year but should be done in a year or so.  Another place to visit, but only a block from out hotel.  BTW while congress is in session, the going rate for that hotel, Holiday Inn Capital, is $440. a night, we get a much better deal but, if NFU isn't paying for it, I find a cheaper one a ways away.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:51pm
Ive been 5 times. Arlington Cemetery always sends chills up and down my spine. Everyone should see it.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic