This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 Hydraulics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrackerJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 Hydraulics
    Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:04pm
Hey guys. Just recently acquired a 57 WD45. Motor was stuck, apparently ran 4 years ago. Ran some stuff down the cylinders and after a few soaking got it loose and she purrs like a kitten now. My in laws are all JD guys so we don't really know much about how everything on this tractor works.

From my understanding and research these tractors only came with 1 aux hydo hook up. This one has 2. The lift system works, PTO, hand clutch and we can get the belt to work too. But I have NO IDEA how to use the aux hookups. Mainly going to use for a disc or small plow. 

Also, the fill cap on left side of the frame near the clutch I'm assuming is for the torque tube / rear end?? What kind of oil should I fill this with? It's barely on the dipstick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 
Thanks, Tyler
Sponsored Links

mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:42pm
http://www.grandpastractor.com/index.php/kunena/allis-chalmers-tractors.html Hey welcome. Try this link. Download the manuals for the WD-45 should help.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
CrackerJack View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrackerJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:36pm
I have checked over the service and operator manuals but all it says about the aux hydro is how to connect and disconnect the hoses... So if the hoses are connected you still use the Hydro control on the steering to say, raise and lower a disc??
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:44pm
Yes... to using the controls on the column but if you trace all the lines there may be a diverter valve somewhere. It's also possible that extra control valves were removed and lines/holes were plugged at some point.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrackerJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:00pm
Ahhh ok, I'll just have to wait until spring to clean all the gunk and muck off to see whats going on better. But basically you should be able to run the lift arms OR the aux? not both right?
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:54pm
If it has 2 hose hookups, someone has done some modifying.  You'll need to figure out what you have and what they did. 
AaronSEIA
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:02pm
I think what you have is 1 remote to hook a plow or disc to. You use the lever on the quadrant to lift up the attached piece. The rear lift arms will go up or down first then the plow or disc would follow. The hydraulics are only one way. They lift up and gravity will lower. You have no down pressure with the factory setup. Hope this helps.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:18pm
What city in central MN are you?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrackerJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:29pm
OK thanks guys I didn't really know how the system actually worked but I think I can figure it out now.

Also I'm in St Cloud but all the equipment is near Brooten at the in-laws
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:35pm
WELCOME to the forum!!
You've already gotten most of the info you'll need.
I suggest you go to Grandpastractor.com and download and then print out or go and buy the operator's manual somewhere.  It'll save you lots of time and head scratching.
Too bad you're so far away from Lon, he could help.  He's got a few of them....Wink
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:06am
Welcome,
These require a Allis type cylinder if your using the remote. The lift arms raise but do not have power down, as mentioned. We need pictures too!
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:39pm
The fill cap with dipstick is the hydraulic system.Doesn't hold a lot and a bad leak will run it down quickly. Must always have oil because rollers are running on a cam in there. Most run hy-tran type oil in hyd these days.Some use it in trans and rear(shared compartment) also with no problems.(the 2 pipe plugs on left)
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 3:44pm
Tyler,  As said above Welcome to the Unofficial Allis Chalmers Forum.  You are finding this to be a very informative bunch.  Some of the best mechanics I have never met.
Sounds you are very lucky on your purchase.  A tractor that has not run in four years that you get running without a lot of problems.  Congratulations!!!
In addition to the oil plug on the left side there are two more fill plugs toward the rear.  The first one fills the Hydraulic system.  If memory serves correctly this takes 4 - 5 qts.  In my day you used 20 non-detergent now there is hy-tran oil that works outstanding.  In the next two we used to use 80ep but again the Hy-Tran oil is the fluid of choice.  Fill to the bottom of the plugs.
Again, looks like you made a GREAT BUY!  Remember the basic A-C hydraulic system in a low volume high pressure - 3600 PSI - one way system - lifts only no down pressure.  If you have two active hoses someone has done some plumbing.  If you are using two way lift cylinders we used to put a filter on the down pressure side so the remaining oil in that side of the cylinder would not back up and hold back the lifting function.
Send us some pictures.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  Got a little windy there sorry
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:43pm
Tyler-  One note I'll add that I don't THINK anyone else mentioned...

The WD/WD45 hydraulic system can be configured to act many different ways.  The control valve on right side of torque tube has different settings and positions as described in the service manual.

The lift cylinders... there's two... there were some implements used where ONE of the lift cylinders would be disconnected from the rear lift arm... and swung forward to operate a belly or front implement.
IF that implement was a cultivator, it was not unusual to see the leverage ratios set so that the front end segment(s) of such an implement would raise FIRST, so that the rear implement section would finish the rows while the fronts were being lifted out for a turn.

When additional hookups were plumbed, it was typically because the farmer was using some other implement(s) of their own choice, that either needed different connectors, or allowed them to keep some other element operational WITH the implement still being available.  Suffice to say that it takes an understanding of that farmer's implements and circumstances, in order to know what their personal modifications are supposed to do.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:33pm
...for front mnt cultivator,there is a delayed lift setting.Lift quadrant part way and lift front gangs lift fully and raise the rear bar.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:27am
If you have a two way remote valve, that has been added by someone at some point. Usually when a two way valve is added then a diverter valve is also added, otherwise you would have to wait for the lift arms to raise before the remote does anything. No biggie if there isn't anything mounted on the lift arms so they don't float down on their own. The diverter works so when it is turned one way hydraulics go only to the lift arms and when turned another way the hydraulics go only to the remotes. Oh and I believe the lift lever on the steering quadrant would be left in the raise position when using the two way auxiliary valve because the should be dumping excess oil to reservoir anyhow. That's if I have remembered everything properly as it's been years since I operated Dad's WD with a two way valve. His did not have a diverter either.

Is this something like you have?...... I found this pic on the internet

-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:32am
I just realized I've had this window opened since last week so I didn't see that you already have some good advise.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
jbirnsch View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbirnsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:02pm
My dad added a log splitter valve to our WD and it had lift and down pressure. He plumbed another line to the back. Rigged the control on the column to the splitter valve control.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic