This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fwip phones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fwip phones
    Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:16am
watching the TODAY show just now, they say the kids are starting to go back to the fwip phones...they gave lots of reason why, biggest one was: cuz they are "cool"!
Sponsored Links

mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:51am
Man I'm cool. Real reason is that parents will by them because the kids can't access as much info.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:42am
 Chit,,and here I thought it was just cause ole obama was givin em away,,,,,,,WinkWink
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:44am
Wow wait till I tell the daughters I am back in style and cool again !  The grand kids already think I am cool, I'm sure they will grow out of that...Harvey
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:47am
That won't last long once they start trying to text on one of em!!LOL
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:09am
Well daa they are using them other things with a bigger screen......tablet maybe. You know,you know hard to admire yourself in the selfy if have to squint.

Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

watching the TODAY show just now, they say the kids are starting to go back to the fwip phones...they gave lots of reason why, biggest one was: cuz they are "cool"!

You been cool forever,who else has gal darn cold making machine.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Harvey/pa Harvey/pa wrote:

The grand kids already think I am cool, I'm sure they will grow out of that...Harvey
Yeah Harv, I think mine did it when they were about 6 or 7.  Kinda bursts your bubble,,,,,,and they don't want to give hugs anymore either.... Kisses went out when they were around 4.....

Shameless, IF the kids could see (and know) who it is sucking them cops into the corn fields and such, they'd KNOW you is cool!!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:44pm
I know I want to switch back. I hate these new phones. Touch screens NEVER work for me, but it seems to do a good job doing stuff on it's own without me touching it.

The only reason I didn't get a flip phone again was because all my work contacts always want to text instead of calling, and I hate trying to type on the flip phone.

I can't wait until I retire so I can have no phone at all.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:01pm
Never gave mine up.  My texts are terse, and to the point.  and my phone can't track me or spy on me...Wink
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Never gave mine up.  My texts are terse, and to the point.  and my phone can't track me or spy on me...Wink

I'm in the trucking industry, thus I have to deal with cry babies and people that gossip worse than women. LOL
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:06pm
Last flip phone I got was the heavy duty military spec phone from at&t it served me well. I need to get a new one now as the one a have is wore out, but at&t only has one cheap flip phone now. It may be the end of my at&t plan.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:08pm
Guess I am cool again too! Good news!:) Wait till I tell the wife she will be so happy!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:25pm
Have been forewarned when getting my iPhone battery replaced a while back as another man was getting his flip phone worked on. He was told was the last time they would OR Could work on it. He got the last battery and the last screen they had there are no others to fit it. The counter person then explained the signal system the old phones used will be discontinued in the next few years, there is only so many frequencies as well the equipment was obsolescing and they have to adjust to the level of smart phones where the "Old" technology will just be turned off. Saw the same man last week in COMO Walmart, was experimenting on his new to himself refurbished iPhone 6, he was quite happy as his flip phone croaked two weeks after the last repair, got wet.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:47am
Still flip phone here...hope it hangs on... only $40 plus a month. Got a call from some provider trying to "give me a better deal" so when I told them how much I was paying they gave up.   I do use an I-pod that does calendar and everything the phone does not but I need wi-fi for that. Have wifi in the office so i am good to go.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:07am
I’m on my second smart phone. They tend to last longer for me. I have to carry mine in my pocket. Tool belt doesn’t work with a carry case on my belt. I use the reminder feature for material lists and never lose them. I text in all my material orders and there is no more well he told me he wanted 375 studs when I ordered 50. That has been a blessing in our business. I have alarms I can use if I get busy and lose track of time. I never have to pull it out to check the time cause I usually have a young buck reminding me every 15 seconds how long til lunch or quitting time.
Cell phones flip or not sure have made it easy for people to change their mind.👎
If I make it to retirement I will have no freedom robbing cell phone of any sort.😊
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:32am
you can still buy used at&t compatible used flip phones from amazon
I run mine thru washing machine on a regular basis, take out sim card dry it off and put it in new phone, last ones I bought were 10 or 15 bucks. they don't text or take a picture, but they will fit in your tool pocket in the side of your britches.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:26am
I was COOL before it was cool thenSmile For once I set the trendWink
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 3:07pm
DanWi...that's the type fwip phone I gots now. it's thru Verizon, they have skads of them
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:51am
Thar ain't any phone that werks here. My place iz haunted by several ghoests aND THEY ARE ALWAYS RUNNING OFF WITH IT. pHONE BEFORE THIS ONE NEVER WAS FOUND. cAR KEYS AND WALLETS ARE FAIR GAME TOO, i GUESS. i KNOW IT'S A MALE GHOST CAUSE WHEN i FIND MY WALLET FINALLY, ALL THE MONEY IZ STILL THAR.

THE NURSE SAYS SHE AIM'T BUIYIN ME ANOTHER PHONE. i TELL HER TO TAKE IT UP WITH OLE CASPER HERE.  Chit. All Capital letters. I ain't goin back an fixing all that neither.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:35pm
 Hey Les,,,,are you sure you haven't been,,,,,haven't been doin some,,,,chit best leave that set for some more better time,,,You ain't been doin some walkin in the sleep,,,Are Ya,,,???WinkWink
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 1:03am
I just figure you're mad at.......so you're screaming at us with all them caps!
And yep,, I agree a male ghost...
"Allis-Express"
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 3:17am
soooooooo….Les....that mean you still ain't gonna answer yer phone when I calls you?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

soooooooo….Les....that mean you still ain't gonna answer yer phone when I calls you?

Just talk to the ghostWink.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 4:29pm
Have a Samsung Rugby (AT&T phone) that I bought about 2-1/2 years ago. Ran it about 8 months and switched to a Motorola "Smart Phone", shopped it hard and picked it up via Wally World for 125.00.
Did the smart phone as I was supposed to be doing invoicing and internet on it but things changed shortly after purchasing it, but I activated it anyway.
Would not save ANY contacts as they were gone within a week.
Visited local AT&T store, you know, the ones where ALL the kids working there are on commissioned sales . . . . .
Told them it would not save contacts and they quickly determined that I had NOT performed the full activation process. I had stopped it after reading the fine print of the user agreement and had decided by then that internet access would not be needed.
Kid at AT&T store did a workaround and reportedly disabled many of the garbage apps. and I was able to store contacts again.
My take on it is pretty simple.
Rugby flip was great on the tractors (none with cabs) as it fit in my pants or breast pocket. Best flip ever as they will take a beating.
PITA to text as 3-4 letters per button, so-so pics on a small screen but overall the best flip I have ever had and not a fan of texting anyway.
Smart phone is easier to text on for obvious reasons BUT, forget about holding it to your shoulderwhile on a call (no hands), much more sensitive with the bigger screen, bigger (funky case) but takes/sends great pics, pics I do not want to obtain an app. to transfer.
Stopped at the AT&T store recently as last year I contacted AT&T and they advised my flip could again be activated for $40/month total with fees.
Seems the "smart phone" fees had continued to climb since activated and now at $75/month, the "minimum monthly charge".
Guess what? The Rugby flip could not be activated per the commissioned kid at the AT&T store as "no plan available that is not full on internet access".
Called AT&T today, naturally it was an overseas call center and was advised I could in-fact switch over to the Rugby, for $65/month, plus fees . . . .
If you have a working flip in your area, with a decent monthly plan, best to hang onto it cuz if you leave it, they likely will not let you go back.
Looks like I'll be talking to Consumer Cellular by spring, anybody have that service and if so, is it any good?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 4:42pm
 Hey Tim,,,I been with Consumer Cellular for almost 2 years now and I got no qualms with their service down here where I am. You ought to get great service in the Ft Worth/ Dallas area. My wife has the Motorola Flip and has gotten good service with it but she does not text. I have the Motorola MOTO G5 smart phone which has the best camera of all the phones I've had,,,,Clap The only'ist thing I do not like is that I have to program it back and forth on the charging port to be able to upload pics to my desktop. It used to do it all the time till Android did their latest update on it bout a month ago,,,GRrrrrr 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 12:27am
I have the Moto Gen3 because the Motorola is the ONLY phone able to pick up air here by the farm.  It's not working so well anymore either.  After the last update it doesn't work at all inside the house or the barn.  Never had that problem before.
I told the tech guy that I wanted to go back to the old OS before the update and was told (rather vehemently) that it was not possible.  Gave me a bunch of jargon I couldn't understand.  They're ALL doing this now, so you 'upgrade' or buy a 'NEW' 'better' phone.
I call BS on it all.  They have us over a barrel and the govt won't help.  They're spending our 'access to all' $1 per month in other countries.....follow the money trail again.
"Allis-Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic