This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

“date which will live in infamy.”

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: “date which will live in infamy.”
    Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:41am
Once again I vent, as I have watched both the local and national news this morning and flipped through the Atlanta paper
I now know what star is in trouble, who is hosting awards shows and other needless waste of knowledge we are bombarded with.

One of the most horrific moments of history in our United States happened 77 years ago this morning,
I guess because my Dad was in WWII and Korea that I am somewhat fascinated with war history.

The Dec. 7, 1941 attack killed 2,335 Americans and wounded 1,143 more. The U.S. lost 18 ships, including five battleships. A day later, U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt described Dec. 7 as a “date which will live in infamy.”

God Bless our troops past, present, and future
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Sponsored Links

Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:46am
Amen, Joe!
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:39am
I'm with you, Joe!

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:47am
AMEN Joe!!  They don't even teach this in school anymore. 
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:50am
Never forget.  Never let anyone forget.

God bless our troops, past, present, and all to come.
brkfldj View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brkfldj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:34am
Thanks for the reminder. I had tv news on for a short time this AM and have had the radio on since then. What a shame that you are my first reminder of the attack on "us". I do mean us, even though 77 years later. We need to continue to teach the concept of us, we the people.

Jim
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:05am
You know, I lived through that day.  We were away from home and did not have a radio in the car.  We heard when we came home about 5 in the afternoon.  Frankly I was too young - 7 - to appreciate what happened and the lasting changes that were made in this country.  I can never forget the TOGETHERNESS this country experienced.  We went in "Mad as Hell".  We were totally unprepared but that did not last long.  We took some tough losses and paid dearly for our unpreparedness but did we come out swinging.  The country UNITED, made up for lost time and created an awesome military. industrial and farm machine that was and still is the envy of the world.  We knew we HAD TO WIN THAT WAR and did whatever it took to do it.  Pop had me putting cleats on steel wheeled tractors - he would tighten them later - running parts, assembling 60 All Crops, and whatever else I could.  After all we were doing our part 'fightin the war'.
I only wish you all could have lived through that time.  It was extraordinary!  One of my best memories.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:32am
They just had a short coverage on it here on the noon news.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:12pm
They had some nice coverage on my station this morning. Even had an interview with a local survivor.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:13pm
Amen, Joe! I have not heard any mention of it on the news either. And I couldn't care less about these Hollywierd cry babies, so called musicians, and overpaid ball players or what they think. And look at all the air time that is being wasted on a soccer game, you would think that is the only thing happening in Hotlanta this weekend.  Sadly history is not being taught in our schools anymore unless it fits their liberal agenda. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:56pm
Joe; Thanks for initiating this post .   I remember Dad listening to our big Philco radio; and being shocked about such an attack.   I was in 7th grade so I remember it quite well.  Dad followed this most every day (radio and daily newspaper).  Herb(GA)
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:07pm
Amen! God Bless those that saved us!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:10pm
I think i can remember it but i was only 3 1/2 .In late 60s i worked with a man that was on a ship that got sunk . He was on another that got sunk and was in the water 48 hrs.I have the book THE DAY OF INFAMY.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:40pm
My Mom was 14 at the time, she told me one time years ago that it was over a week later when they finally heard about it because they were so far up in the hills of North Georgia. Nobody knew where Hawaii was at the time. No one up there really began to understand the implications of it all until the menfolk began to get drafted.

Edited by JoeM(GA) - 07 Dec 2018 at 5:50pm
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Bill(MO) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:45pm
I was the only one in neighborhood that put a flag out this am.
REEDE View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REEDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:44pm
Got to go to the ARIZONA memorial at PEARL HARBOR a couple of years back . It was very humbling . 
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:28am
We knew a older gentleman who served on the USS Oklahoma. His service duty time was up about 30 days before pearl harbor. He had lots of friends on that ship Dec 7th that he would talk about. He reenlisted in the navy right away and served on destroyers for the duration of the war.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:51am
My Dad has passed but Uncle is still alive and Brother In Law's Father In Law as well where those two lived through those days in the Pacific Theatre. Had cousins on Wife's side and my own in Europe for those times too.

I wish Dewey my older Brother's FIL was still alive, he just missed to locating of his ship the USS Indianapolis. He survived those days in the ocean watching his comrades die. He also served on Three DE class in the Atlantic and was on two of those shot out from under him prior to the Indy.

Edited by DMiller - 08 Dec 2018 at 11:54am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:15pm
We Americans generally view the attack on Pearl Harbor as the beginning of WW2...

Many others would suggest that it was Nazi invasion of Poland September 1939.
Still Others would consider Mussolini's promise to 'fight alongside Hitler against any democracy' May 1938

I'd move it back to at LEAST... The Mukden Incident:  18th of September, 1931.

No, more like the appearance of a young Nguyen That Thanh, at the 1919 Paris Peace Conference, asking for his country to be granted independance from colonial rule.

All the things that happened between the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand June 28, 1914, and December 7, 1941... are all related.  What a historical mess.

For Americans... all the families of, and the men lost on December 7th, 1942, I raise and salute my flag in great respect.   The path that brought us to that moment was tumultuous, but surprisingly unknown to most, and unfortunately, remains so.

Admiral Yamamoto was probably incorrectly attributed to a quotation to the effet that he regretted 'awakening a sleeping giant'... but it's clear that he was humiliated to find that his attack was carried out BEFORE a declaration of war had been transmitted.  Even moreso, having to do so under orders from the military gang who took advantage of the power of an inexperienced, adolescent man viewed as divine emperor... and drove his country and people into self-destruction.

As history tends to bear... we all... all sides... lost tremendously from the mountain of conflicts... we lost good people... we expounded inconcievable resources, and destroyed man-made and natural treasures in these fights...

...and lots of innocent people suffered and died under tremendous cruelty and horrible conditions.

The best we can hope, is that NO ASPECT of it, is ever forgotten... because the failure to know and learn from history, condems us to repeat it.

May all days of infamy be remembered, and the lessons they taught, grant us the wisdom to better direct our future.

Edited by DaveKamp - 09 Dec 2018 at 10:18pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:52pm
DMiller, I bought a 1945 WC (last year of the war) just a little while ago. I have an arch frame wf to put in it and foot brakes as well. It won't happen as lazy as I am, but I have thought about painting it battle ship gray and in navy blue paint "Property of US Navy" on the side of the hood and "USS Indianapolis" on the frame with a likeness of the ship. 
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
oldways View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:07am
Friend of mine is AG teacher at the highschool he asked all of his students about Pearl harbor. Only 3 knew what he was talking about. He spent the next two days teaching history.
1 Corinthians 1:18 1969-190xt-III. 1966 190xt gas. 1966 190xt Cab. 1948-G. 1937-WC unstyled. 1950-B. 1951-CA. 1966-D17-IV
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:40am
He'll probably get fired.  Let's hope not.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic