This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I remember back in the day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I remember back in the day
    Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:13am
I remember back in the day  we used to turn the front wheels around backwards to keep the mud from plugging the  front end and helped keep the front of the tractor up in mud or snow, I was thinking we might be the only  one's that did this.
Not the best shot of one but it's the only one I found.

3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Sponsored Links

farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:27am
I remember my dad telling me the same thing about turning the front wheels wider to keep from filling up with mud.
Roger (NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:28am
Did that on a WD that we used on the feed Wagon back in the 70's. Worked well!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:54am
I remember putting the canvas heat houser on Dad's WD. We thought that was great but when Dad hired the neighbor to blow out the driveway once with a 4430 and cab well, we never thought a Deere of any kind was great but the cab sure looked warm. Dad's WD had a narrow front with loader too but we never reversed the wheels. I remember one of my uncles did that though. Dad moved the loader to his D17 eventually where it still is today.

Edited by Lonn - 07 Dec 2018 at 6:55am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:12am
My WC has mud scrapers on the narrow front, did they not work, or was it an option?
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:07am
I turned them around on Dad's tractor one winter, when I came home freom school, they were back they was they were, and boy was he mad!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:18am
Originally posted by JoeM(GA) JoeM(GA) wrote:

My WC has mud scrapers on the narrow front, did they not work, or was it an option?
There were quite a few that had this option.  I remember we had them on the CA and also the WD45.  Where we farmed, we had some real rich black goo that ALWAYS got in between the wheels.  Sometimes it still plugged up on the WD45.  I'm not sure, but I think they might have come with the plow?  That's when we used em the most.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:06am
We always turned them around on the tractor we fed with till Dad bought the 17 with the wide front
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:15am
We always had a problem with narrow front tractors in deep snow.  We took one wheel off.  Not the best solution but helped. 
Good Luck!
Bill Long

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:10pm
Does the mud/snow just ball up in between the wheels and keep them from turning? 
Lots of wide front tractors in our area. 
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:13pm
Yes Creston they will ball up on the narrow front tractors. Turn the wheels around and it helps a lot but if you don’t have power steering it steers harder. Also you want to hang on to the steering wheel as it will spin if you hit a hole just right. My Dad broke his wrist when a WD done this, the steering knob got him
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:30pm
And heaven forbid if you let the mud freeze between the tires on a narrow front.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by caledonian caledonian wrote:

And heaven forbid if you let the mud freeze between the tires on a narrow front.
OUCH!!  That's gotta cause some problems!  Sounds like you did this at one time Tom?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by caledonian caledonian wrote:

We had that happen just one time, had to remove one wheel and break out the frozen mud, not a fun job with Dad watching us the next day cleaning the mess up after telling us boys to clean out the mud before it was parked the barn that night.  To this day I will clean the wheels out in cold temp's. lmao
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:41pm
We parked the NF tractors in the Winter for the most part and used the WF tractors.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 8:30am
As far as I know dad never turned it around and in fact I never knew it could be done. I learn something every day.🙂
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:01am
Don, Folks,
I never seen ours turned around on either of the narrow front end WD's in the family. Probably because a wide front was available most of the time when the ground was sticky or snowy.
I do remember getting warned about the narrow front wheels catching, spinning the steering wheel and hurting you!
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:14am
Yep
TOM (NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:53pm
Back in the day, Dad did that with our WD during the winter for moving snow with the loader. I also remember once Dad front wheel froze solid with mud with the mounted cornpicker. He was not happy!
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:28pm
It's been a long time but if I remember correctly you couldn't reverse them under a corn picker snout so if you packed that full of mud you had some real fun in taking the snout off to dig the mud out.  We did reverse them on a manure loader tractor and that helped keep the wheels turning.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:00pm
Just got to be careful driving a NF in the pasture like that. One frozen meadow muffin can rip the wheel out of your hands
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Roger (NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:18am
We first had scrapers on the WD we used on the mounted picker. That was also the tractor that had the number 3 mower on in the summer. And yes, if no power steering, you had to hang on if the front wheels were reversed. Fortunately the WD we used on the feed Wagon during the winter months was the one that was our cultivator tractor in the summer and we had installed Char-Lynn power steering on it.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:53pm
I was too small to do that on dads WD45, but I do remember grandpa's C that way. I don't ever remember those wheels set in. I do know it was a real pain in the but to drive down the road. In 1959 we got the D17 with a new corn picker and a wide front to put on after the corn was picked. We were picking tall corn with that set up.
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:02pm
Maybe a little off topic.....but we learned the hard way to clean the manure spreaders out completely in cold weather. On pto spreaders you could break the drag chain. If we were hauling slop, we would have to get in with a crowbar and place some sticks underneath each slat to keep them from freezing down and breaking the chain.We had 800 head of cattle for a time and hauled pretty often. Oh, the memories!!!

Edited by JayIN - 09 Dec 2018 at 7:14pm
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
D17Milo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17Milo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:10am
I remember Dad having a scraper on at least onr of his tractors. Shamless's comment about his Dad reminded me of the time I took the muffler off of Dad's 60 John Deere and put a straight pipe on it. VERY shortly afterwards I was told to take that blankety blank thing off and put the muffler back on. It didn't take long.LOL
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:20am
I've got scrapers on my narrow front WD-45.  I'll have to get some pictures the next time I'm out in the shed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic