This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tony's WD mufflers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tony's WD mufflers
    Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:05pm
Anyone running any of Tony's modified WD muffler's? How's the quality and sound versus a Nelson? The picture of it looks promising.

Thanks, Carl
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:59pm
I put them on tractors for customers all the time and they are happy with them, I like them more for the water protection band  that keeps the water from running in the manifold than what they sound like. I have one on my WD45 planting tractor and like it OK. 
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:45pm
I've seen the pics and was curious. I put in an order for a Nelson for my one WD that had a Nelson on it. The other one has a Stanley in it, and honestly, I think in a few years I'll want to switch it over to something else better (I had to practically pound the thing into the manifold).
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:41am
I've one on my WD and I like it it's been on there for 3or4 years, it doesn't sound exactly like the nelson but I think it sound good and is well build just my opinion. 
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 11:35am
I've been running one on my WD for a few years now and am happy with it.  Only Nelsons around here to compare are on my D17 LP and my WF.
Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:46pm
What are different about Tony’s mufflers?
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 4:40pm
Here's the link to Tony's mufflers, might help.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:01pm
I have one of the polished stainless mufflers for my CA from DJS. Looking inside it appears to be made the same as the original Nelson. It's pretty close to the Nelson sound wise. Being stainless it should be the last muffler I ever buy for it
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:12pm
The CA ones are restoration quality, so they are really close to the Nelson's from what I understand. Was talking with Norm Meinert at Pontiac and he said he's working with steiner I believe for reproducing the WD muffler's. Can't wait for that day! He told me Nelson destroyed the dyes so new ones have to be made.

Looked on Tony's site and seen he had Original looking ones, but not familiar with the sparex brand muffler's and the sound or quality of them. Figured being Tony is selling them they probably pretty good though.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Carl(NWWI) Carl(NWWI) wrote:

The CA ones are restoration quality, so they are really close to the Nelson's from what I understand. Was talking with Norm Meinert at Pontiac and he said he's working with steiner I believe for reproducing the WD muffler's. Can't wait for that day! He told me Nelson destroyed the dyes so new ones have to be made.

Looked on Tony's site and seen he had Original looking ones, but not familiar with the sparex brand muffler's and the sound or quality of them. Figured being Tony is selling them they probably pretty good though.

I just ordered a "Nelson" through SimplyFilter and will post pictures when it arrives. I am told it may be 4+ weeks before I see it though (but don't need it til Spring at least). Only cost me $125 though, sight unseen Shocked .

Would be great if Steiner & other people could get good quality WD restoration mufflers. I put a Stanley on my one WD and basically had to beat it into place with a 4x4. Not super happy with it. Angry

Edited by garden_guy - 02 Dec 2018 at 9:20pm
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 11:50pm
Absolutely, I was running Stanley too but made the switch. Have 5 Nelson's now. Paid anywhere from $100-180 for them. Was getting them of amazon for a while but no longer on there. Priced one at AGCO but they were 237 I think.

Been planning on ordering one from simply filter for a spare but haven't, just bought another WD so figured it time to get one again.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 6:00am
I'd had one ordered also from Simply for 2 months
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:53pm
Someone must have heard me, Simply Filter sent me a shipping notice today!
Charlie

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

Someone must have heard me, Simply Filter sent me a shipping notice today!

I just ordered mine a week ago -- hope I don't have to wait 2 more months!! :O
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:23am
I hope I open the box and it says Nelson... :)
Charlie

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:12pm
Hey, mine just showed up today!! Doesn't say Nelson on it that I can see, but sure is built heavy duty like one. Looks like the old one still on the tractor. Internal baffles are way different than the Stanleys.  Also has the proper two bolt mounting flange. Heavy.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:36pm
I guess I need to hear a Nelson.  All I've heard all sound the same to me.  All I've ever used is Stanley and they sound good to me.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 3:41pm
Took a picture of my new Nelson.

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I guess I need to hear a Nelson.  All I've heard all sound the same to me.  All I've ever used is Stanley and they sound good to me.
if you think Standley's sound good,you should hear a Nelson.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:44pm
I also bought a stainless muffler from DJs. They say they're for a B, C, or CA, but they will also fit a D10. I think they are heavier than a Stanley. It sounded a little different than a Stanley, but not that much to me. I did like the sound though. To bad it was only on the tractor one day. The next day after putting it on, I hung it on a low rail and bent the crap out of it. I tried to straighten it out but couldn't, so it went in the scrap metal pile. $116 dollars down the drain. I'll probably get another one. The Nelson looks similar, what's so great about their sound? Are they loud? It seems like most people's idea of "sounds good" is LOUD! I hate loud engines. I like nice smooth and quite.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic