This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6 mutt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6 mutt
    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 1:40am
The HD6B / AG I am buying seems to be a mutt of sorts.  It has the HD6AG engine with turbo and all the associated correct appearing according to others who have seen the pictures, but it is a 1965 HD6B according to serial number.  Does have 5 roller track frames.  It needs some work before I can use it, runs fine but left steering clutch is slipping badly.  Not sure if it is worn or contaminated with something.  Planning on fixing that as soon as I get it home early next year.  I had a thread on correct Carco winch for it.  Alternatively interested in just a plain old AG style 540rpm PTO output.  Not sure what I need to achieve that.  Also possibly hydraulic remote.  Just some curiosities of things I could do with it provided I could add some other options to it. 

Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 5:53am
Definite aftermarket or custom made blade, nice cage.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 7:04am
Tracks look good and tight. Darrel
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 2:36pm
I would think the track is to tight, unless the last movement was in revers and all slack is on the bottom(old auction trick ,back it into place on the line). And by position of blade cannot see if there is adjustment left in track. But it looks like rail and sprocket may have life left. To many things keep from ever having photos tell to much about undercarriage in my experience.

Gear units to make 540 pto are rather rear, so that could be a big hunt unless your real lucky. Hopefully the current hydraulic valve is not in the tank, then just change it out to have another set of outlets for rear tools. Most of the old rear mounted hydraulic units are to low of pressure to be of use with modern equipment.

But all in all not a bad looking machine. If your lucky adjustment of clutch may fix the steering.
kblackav8or View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 10:18pm
External on the hydraulic valves. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 10:23pm
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 3:13pm
The HD6 is a good tractor. I have (4). The only wish is that we could still get parts for them easily.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 2:05pm
try washing the steering clutches with solvent by plugging bottom of caes and filling with solvent , enough to reach drum - if that doesn't work to stop slipping - HD11 metalic clutch plates work to stop problems and they dont expand and rust into hub 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

try washing the steering clutches with solvent by plugging bottom of caes and filling with solvent , enough to reach drum - if that doesn't work to stop slipping - HD11 metalic clutch plates work to stop problems and they dont expand and rust into hub 

I think i have asked this before but cannot any answer. When you say fill with Solvent and run it and then drain it,,, what do you suggest as the solvent.

Diesel, Kerosene, parts cleaner fluid?

What would be the solvent to use for this. Thank you Coke.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 4:15pm
Diesel is fine
then flush with a cheap oil of choice
then put your regular service fluid in with new filters

HD3
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by NomoreJohnDeere NomoreJohnDeere wrote:

Diesel is fine
then flush with a cheap oil of choice
then put your regular service fluid in with new filters

Thank you Nomore
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 6:10pm
I understand the washing part but I am under the impression I have dry clutches so refilling wouldn't be necessary.  I am thinking of buying a few gallons of brake clean and trying that.  It recently had the diesel trick by the last owner. 
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 6:39pm
I would suspect it will need new clutch disks and brake band. if you can do the work your self should cost around 350 or less.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 7:27pm
Certainly a possibility.  If one side comes off for rebuild, they are both getting it.  I am planning for that and have money set aside for it. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 8:36pm
Update, I do actually own it now.  Purchase completed a couple weeks ago.  Not home yet, will get it moved in the next 6 weeks  or so.  More pictures at my Smugmug page.  https://kblackav8or.smugmug.com/Machines/Allis-Chalmers-HD-6
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 11:44am
Congratulations on the tree pusher!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by kblackav8or kblackav8or wrote:

I am thinking of buying a few gallons of brake clean and trying that.   

great for cleaning

be aware of what sparks could do if you decide to operate the machine full of it

HD3
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 4:03pm
Nice looking machine. Looks pretty tight too. Love that fabricated blade. Pretty cool.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 6:47pm
The whole machine won't be full of it, just the clutch drums.  This machine supposedly has the dry drum system.  If you put the plugs in there isn't enough oxygen left if they are full or almost so to support combustion.  I figure if there is something made to get grease and oil off friction material it is brake cleaning solvent. 
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by kblackav8or kblackav8or wrote:

The whole machine won't be full of it, just the clutch drums.  This machine supposedly has the dry drum system.  If you put the plugs in there isn't enough oxygen left if they are full or almost so to support combustion.  I figure if there is something made to get grease and oil off friction material it is brake cleaning solvent. 

Would s couple of gallons of parts/carb cleaner like the gallon cans you can buy at auto parts stores.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 9:08pm
Some sort of dry solvent that isn't as oily as diesel.  Just to see if I can get the left side to quit slipping otherwise it is coming apart.  I will rebuild both sides.  My understanding is the canopy, seat and fuel tank have to come off and they are accessible from there.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic