This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cummins powered crawler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cummins powered crawler
    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 7:42pm
So I will start with a little back story...I work for cummins and just bought the book the diesel odyssey of clessie cummins. Flipping through it today when it arrived rather then working I found this picture. Any one heard of this machine?
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 8:14pm
Kind of hard to read upside down!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 8:17pm
Really...its right side up on my iPad?

How do I fix that?

Edited by im4racin - 26 Nov 2018 at 8:17pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 8:51pm
Turn the camera/phone over?  I don't know but I'll bet someone on here can fix it!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 9:16pm
 I have read about Monarch 75 being fitted with Atlas-Imperial diesel engines but they proved to heavy for the frames...  From a book called "Endless Tracks In The Woods", it says During the 1920's many individuals were vocal proponents of Diesel engines for tracklaying tractors. Two leading industrialists, Henry Kaiser of Kaiser Paving Company, and Fletcher Walker of Red River Lumber Company got tired of talking and demanded action. Both Allis-Chalmers Monarch 75 and Caterpillar 60 tractors were converted in 1928
But I never heard of Monarch 50 's being fitted with any diesel..., I have seen 3 Model L crawlers fitted with Cummins diesels.
 To bad the photo was so grainy...would have been neat to see a real clear photo of it.
  Was there more to this article?  Thanks!

Edited by JC(WI) - 26 Nov 2018 at 9:40pm
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 5:15am
I'm not sure about more info. The picture is about 2/3 of the way through the book and I am far from a fast reader!
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 6:29pm
I found a section in the book that talks about the crawler. It talks about ac being a potential customer for cummins engines or purchase the company in the spring of 1930. Ac shipped a crawler to Columbus for an engine to be installed. It was the 60hp model u(cummins engine model). The tractor was tested on a local farm on July 25 1930. It performed equal to the gas engine that was removed. No further negotiations happened. Caterpillar released a diesel tractor later that year.

So has anyone from central Indiana ever heard of this machine...is it still out there???
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 8:41pm
That could very likely be as valuable as the elusive D 21 with factory front wheel assist. Darrel
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 9:17pm
It would have been the 1st diesel powered crawler in the US.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 1:03am
im4racin, No, there were crawlers converted in 1928 to diesel powered... And it was the Atlas-Imperial engines in them. and the last one known of the repowered was still pushing gravel in 1934 in the Pleasanton aggregate plant of Kaiser Paving.  In 1928,  Kaiser had at least three Monarch 75's with the Atlas Imperial engines in them working on the Mississippi levee projects below Memphis Tennessee, 
  Also And Fletcher Walker had Cat model 60's converted to diesel and they were working in the woods in Westwood CA....
  Thanks, I did a little googling and found this...
"But Henry J. Kaiser was always pushing boundaries. When building roads during the late 1920s, young contractor Kaiser tried to convince the Caterpillar Tractor Company to put diesel engines in their crawler tractors because the fuel was so much cheaper. When they declined, Kaiser bought three Caterpillar Model 60 and three Monarch 75 tractors (Monarch operated between 1916-1928, when it was bought out by Allis-Chalmers; Caterpillar is still in business) and replaced their gasoline engines with 65 horsepower marine diesels made by the Atlas-Imperial Company of Oakland, Calif. They were heavier than gas engines, and came with problems of their own which Kaiser discovered while using them on a levee restoration project along the Mississippi River in the late 1920s. A 1942 Life magazine profile on Henry J. Kaiser noted that “At first, they stripped transmissions, twisted driveshafts and generally knocked apart the machines he put them in.” But Kaiser and fellow earth mover Bob LeTorneau worked out the kinks, and eventually diesels would become the standard for heavy equipm"

You will like this part...
"Fast forward to 1952. Really, really fast forward.

This was the year that Kaiser Aluminum paired up with the Cummins Engine Company to produce a diesel race car, #28, driven by “Flying” Freddie Agabashian (1913-1989). It wasn’t the first diesel to whip around the Indianapolis track – that happened in 1931, when a Cummins-powered car was the first to run the entire race nonstop – but it was the first to use a turbocharger.

Turbocharging is relatively common now, but back then it was innovative to use an engine’s exhaust gases to pressurize the intake charge and provide more power without increasing engine size. Number 28’s specially designed engine lay on its side 5 degrees from flat, to lower the car’s center of gravity and handle better on Indy’s left-only banked turns. It displaced 401 cubic inches (6.6 liters), the maximum allowed by Indy rules, and pumped out 350 horsepower." To read the full article... http://kaiserpermanentehistory.org/tag/caterpillar-atlas-imperial-diesel-sixty/

And there was a Monarch 75 with an Atlas Imperial on the Campbell Farming Corporation that Allis-Chalmers had sent there to test it... back in 1928...  The Corp sold a lot of the old iron in about 1978.  IIRC.

Inventory of the Floyd Hal Higgins Collection
D-056  
No online items No online items       Request items ↗
Box/folder 6:25 sure would be interesting but I am not signing up just to see it... They do have a long list of other things to view too, but... not happening.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 4:21am
Thank you for the wonderful history. Great reading and links
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 7:09am
Interesting read there, JC. Too bad AC and Cummins didn't marry up and mass produce that Diesel crawler that is pictured. Darrel
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 7:32am

Love hearing history!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 6:19pm
Several people active on Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club forum are involved with several of the Ag museums in the Sacramento Valley of Ca. So I asked if anyone has seen a Monarch with a diesel transplant in Ca. and no one has. A least one museum has some very nice examples of Monarch and Allis Chalmers letter series crawler tractors though.  
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 6:45pm
Folks,
 Currently skimming through Norm Swinford's Allis-Chalmers Construction Machinery & Industrial Equipment book. Very interesting. So many! I can see how little boys and big men get hooked on dirt pushers!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 8:48pm
Careful! That book is like cocaine. You will be hooked shortly!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 11:11pm
Ray54, Do you or anyone know about this Inventory of the Floyd Hal Higgins Collection D-056  that is at UC Davis collection?

Specially the Box/folder 6:25 ... This supposedly has literature about the Monarch 75 with gas and diesel engines in it.
---
Box/Folder: 6:25

Allis-Chalmers Mfg Co. 1930

Creator/Collector: Allis-Chalmers Leads With The Diesel Powered Monarch Track-Type Tractor Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Scope and Content Note

Machine type(s): Monarch 75

Material Type

Pamphlets

Subjects

Tractor, Crawler
Tractor, Diesel

Ran across this link... http://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt8t1nd615/dsc/

No online items No online items       Request items ↗
Box/folder 6:25 sure would be interesting but I am not signing up just to see it... They do have a long list of other things to view too, but... not happening.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:31pm
I did not know about the inventory, but someone in the area well connected in the collector community did state no diesel powered Monarchs have ever been talked about.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic