This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help identifying Allis-Chalmers generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schadjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identifying Allis-Chalmers generator
    Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 3:50pm
Hi, I'm trying to identify an old Allis-Chalmers generator and find a manual for it. Ultimately I'd like to know its field inductance, but any docs are welcome. The nameplate is attached:

40 kW, 0.8 PF
1200 rpm
60 Hz
240-480 Vac
125 V, 8.6 A field
s/n: 24584K-820EW-5-2 (or possibly 24584K-820KW-5-2)

Sponsored Links

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 3:52pm
Do you have picture of the whole gen
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 4:10pm
Yeah, not much info to base a ID on from the tag. 40kW is about all I can note at 120/240/480v 3 phase
schadjo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schadjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 4:14pm
I'll get more pics. Stay tuned.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 5:06pm
I found  Allis Chalmers Motors and Generator Reference Book

Edited by chaskaduo - 16 Nov 2018 at 5:09pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
schadjo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schadjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:59am
Long shot of the generator

End bell DC generator nameplate
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:00am
Seeing as is a Motor Generator set I am suspecting this is an old Elevator or Personal Conveyance drive like escalator or such. Many times to get a smoother circuit supply voltage the companies that supplied those items would set up Motor Generators to provide a better supply.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:20am
I worked at a small sawmill one time that had a few setups like this. The answer i got was the mill wasent wired up for 3 phase and didnt want to spend the money so they put the motor drive generator to run on single phase and out put 3 phase. On the few pieces of equipment he had. Dont know the truth to it but thats what i was told.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 6:21am
Being as CIA documents on this I would suspect some sort of conveyance drive more than machinery supply.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:31pm
Its strange how the world works . I posted on the sawmill monday am and it wasent 15 min later my wife calls and tells me that the guy I worked with at the sawmill we did the work on was electrocuted and killed .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic