This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to me WD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:54pm
Most of the time, troubling things with these old gals are generally pretty simple...

...just surprisingly well-hidden.

My WD has a leaky sediment bowl/needle valve... and it's having an attitude dropping cylinders since I gave the carb a rebuild... it ran great... 'till the day one of the carb floats filled with gasoline...  I probably have a vacuum leak too.  Oh, and the seat needs fixed... and I gotta get a new quadrant on the steering column (for the lift)... and one lift cylinder's dripping... and 3rd gear is bad... (sigh)... but it's still goin.

My OTHER WD/45ish project is Schwartz... which I haven't made any progress on in two years... gotta get that hydraulic steering setup done, live hydraulic pump system installed, and make it driveable... that'll motivate me to get all the other stuff done, right?

Thumbs Up
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:37am
Second set of eyes often finds things. Been there, done that....
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:46am
Interesting fix! Good for Charlie!

I have a WD45 with a Marvel Schebler TSX 464 carb. It attaches to the manifold with two studs that are part of the carb. Same as shown in the parts catalog, though I've always thought it odd. The engine runs rough and I'm wondering if there may be an air leak there.........

Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 10 Dec 2018 at 4:05pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:08am
You can test for air leaks when it is running by spraying something like WD40 around the carb inlet or at the manifold to block connection (Not the exhaust ports). If it surges then you have an air leak. 
Suggest having a fire extinguisher nearby when doing this....

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 8:47pm
Got the WD running on my brothers WD45 carb this evening. The condenser failed so I had no spark until I replaced it this afternoon. She moves on her own, brakes work well, both clutches seam to be okay, all gears work. Ordered a complete carb rebuild kit for the Zenith carb yesterday. Hoping to resolve the carb issue in the next 2 weeks. Found a blown fuse so that’s why the lights are not working. At least until I make sure the wiring and other components are good. It looks like a fairly new wiring harness so I dont suspect that as a issue at the moment. Of course it has not been run since 2004, so maybe that’s when it may have been installed. A good friend repaired the damaged CC rear wheel. Damage wasn’t too bad. Will paint the wheels in the spring. Will give updates over the next few weeks. I’m happy with her so far. Need to get a padded seat, bare metal kinda hard on the rear end...mine, not the tractors. Lol
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 8:51pm
I like the marvel carbs for some reason! But I have a Z on the 17 and it has worked very well too.
I like t=hose softer seats also. Didn't seam to bother me as a kid??
Looks like you got a good one!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic