This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD16DC lifting project.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD16DC lifting project.
    Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:01am
Hello guys.

I have bid in on a project with my HD16DC its a job to push metal scrap in a ship. But I need to lift it down in the ship but I can’t find some factory lifting points, can any body in here help me out ?

Sponsored Links

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:35am
Ive seen them on a sling which ran under the rails as well as the rear hitch and blade. Came together on a turn buckle over the tractor.

Your baby looks great by the way,,, that cab turned out sweet Morten.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:57am
That bid project must have some huge monster of a ship for your 16 to run around inside it? I would think that if your bid wins the project, the shipping yard would know, be experienced, & have whatever it takes (straps, clevis, spanners, etc..) for their crane to lift your 16 in/out of their ship. At the very least, I imagine that you should inquire with them about every detail - even how your 16 would be supported during their lifts?
Yes, I also concur that your 16's cab restoration looks beautiful. And, good luck with project! If it happens, please keep us posted with some pictures. 
Morten.have View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 11:12am
Yes it’s a werry big ship last time it’s was a 20 tons Hanomag Dozer they used, but now I have places my bid. They will need the Dozer for 45 hours constant driving. Here is som pic from last time
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 1:36pm
Just make damn sure you get that thing back out of that ship before it sets sail for China! Darrel
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 1:56pm
HD3
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 2:17pm
WOW what a ride that crane operator got  

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:09pm
he bailed out in time
HD3
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:34pm
Yikes! Could you imagine expaining that one to the boss?? :) 

On moving that scrap I hope you have good skid plates. That stuff could do some damage to your unit! And it could hurt the dozer too!:)

Good lick on your bid. I assume they load a area while you level a area. That means there is potential overhead issues too?

45 hours continious running, could be about the same as the yearly pay for a average persons?

Regards,
 Chris 
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by NomoreJohnDeere NomoreJohnDeere wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blrkvb7nfEU

stand back

The error in this lift, was improper calculation:
The lift and radius capacity is correct at inception, however, once you start lowering the load into the hole, you're outfeeding the drum, which is on the BACK side of the nearest support (so the hoisting cable is part of the counterweight)...

And as you outfeed, that cable goes up the boom, through the sheave, hence, transitions from being part of the counterweight side, to the LOAD side.

That wire rope is NOT light... You're seeing about 10,000lbs coming off the counterweight side, and going onto the load side, as a result of lowering that dozer just a few feet lower than where it was lifted at the ground.

Once the back end of the crane got light enough to lift the outriggers, the angle of the boom dropped, which caused the reach to increase, and boom-side load to rise rapidly.

The proper way to determine this lift, is to place the boom over the hole, and lower the headache ball all the way down, then determine what your load capacity is in that circumstance... then make sure you have enough counterweight, support, and machine capacity to make the lift.  This crane operator had no business being at the controls of that circumstance- he did not understand the physics of what he was attempting to do.

Shipyard loader cranes have plenty of capacity to do lifts like that, and the operators are picking an order-of-magnitude greater load than the dozer all the time, so having good lift points on the machine is really all he'll need to get the job going.

If it were me, I'd get an approximate of the machine's center of gravity, by laying an old telephone pole in the driveway, and climbing up on it.  Find the balance point, and MARK the machine for fore-aft CG.

Center of the CG will be basically ON the centerline of the machine.

Next, I'd find some really stout steel plate...  say... 2" thick, and cut it into a shape that allows it to reach around structural housings that support the machine's weight naturally... and make those shapes 'lock' onto the machine by installing bolts to sandwich it. give the shapes a hole big enough to accept a lifting shackle, and no bigger... so that lifting rigging is absolutely unable to be removed without very deliberate removal of pins, and so that it isn't supported by a hook that's open on one side. 

Make a lifting rig that ties all four lifting points together and places the crane's lift point substantially higher than the machine's center of gravity, so it'll want to lift evenly.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 7:24am
Thanks Dave ! That’s telephone idea is genius! I have been thinking a lot how to measure out the balance point of the machine, so you had helped me out a lot.

Can any of you guys tell me if it’s okay to lift in the blade ? Ore are the lifting s cylinders to weak? Even when they are fully retract?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 7:26am
Thanks jerry, the cab is okay but I don’t have a manifold or exhaust yet because of my illness, I’m planing to take a look at it these week :)
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 8:02am
It appears to me the operator may have lowered the boom some and increased the radius the load was at. Another possible cause we can't see would be if the surface under the rear outriggers failed. If the outriggers went down either from surface settling or structural failure the load radius would increase and cause an overload.

That crane is not that big. The wire rope on that size crane would be 1" or less, so less than 2 lb. per foot. Weight transfer for the distance the load was lowered would be less than 200 lbs. off the drum and 200 lbs. added to the load. Not enough to upset a crane set up within the load chart parameters, even if you factor the distances the 200 lbs. transfer is from the center pin. In general truck crane load charts are designed to 85% of crane actual capacity at the published radii. To me that crane was too small for the load placement at the radius required to begin with. This is a common mistake; a load is lifted close to the crane and everyone thinks things are fine; then the load is swung and has to be "boomed" out to set it and this happens. For example a Grove TMS700B truck crane (somewhat larger than the one in the video) with a 50 ton rating (at 9 feet radius) is rated for 54,700 lbs. at 15 ft. radius but the 25 ft. radius rating is only 35,050 lbs. on the same boom length. I worked with cranes and rigging for years, this case appears to be poor planning and likely some operator error, JMHO.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 10:00am
You're dead on about boom'radius error and poor planning!  They didn't sit down and do the math, and they certainly left no margin of error in anything.

My field assignments most often involve four precast concrete/steel scale bridge sections where the lightest is 19,500, two at 24,500, and last one is 26,500... and if I'm lucky, I have unobstructed access from alongside the 80' pit.  With the decks being 11' wide (5.5 to center) and a 4ft sidewalk, outrigger feet up against the edge still yields radius of 25ft at the shortest reach, so I can never call in anything lighter than 75t.  Typically, I'll be stuck reaching in from each end of the hole, so I'm reaching that 26.5k out about 55 feet from the center of rotation. 

Every so often, I have to decommission and old set of scale decks, and the 'old school' way of building these things was to assemble all the steel in the pit, then pour it in place (field pour)... which means I've got a single piece 40ft long, 6" thick reinforced concrete and (usually well corroded) 36" high I-beams.  Picking it up requires a muscular crane, but even moreso... plenty of care in punching holes through the concrete and basketing lifting cables underneath the deck's beamwork in such a way that the deck doesn't collapse to big ugly pieces under it's own weight.  They're usually in the 45-50k range.

The 'worst' I've ever had to do, was place a new scale that had a building alongside and a deep ravine on the other, and in order to have sufficient footprint, the crane couldn't get within 60 feet of the NEAR edge of the building... it came out to 24,500lb load at somewhere over 100 feet from center... on a muddy-gravel parking lot.  I think I had Barnhardt out there doing that job, they brought in a lattice-boom system on nine trucks, and another four with counterweights and cribbing.

At full reach of the farthest deck (24,500lbs), we were six inches shy of our target point, and I could hear the alarm going off in the crane's cab.  We ended up setting it down, and 'walking' it the last few with jacks, blocks, and levers.  The scary part, was in the middle of the third pick, a little twin engine executive jet buzzed over the top of the boom... that's when I realized there was an airfield somewhere downrange... took some frantic calling to advise the tower that we had a stick up off the end of their active approach...  Nuke

But I've never, ever, ever had crane or lifting mishaps.  I had one out in Laramie stall from a plugged-up fuel filter for two hours, and had to shut down for an hour to wait out a storm, but never had any mishaps... and each morning I get suited up to do an install, I pray for a safe lift, and when that day is done, I say thanks for safety and a good meal.

I'm surprised the crane-op was able to exit and clear the tumbling machine... but it makes me wonder wether he was 'well-experienced' with bailing out of a crane, and if so, why?  Captains' careers tend to end when the cockpit falls below the waterline, regardless of wether they're still at the helm, or not...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 11:42am
What we used to do in the field work I did if we had to lift a machine not set up with lifting eyes was build a lifting 'Pallet' of I-beam structure much as a bridge or trailer frame. Set that up with Pad Eyes for lifting clevis connections, and then set up a truss for overhead for the lifting cables to attach so they would not squeeze the mechanism. From there drive the machine onto the frame, Chain it Down TO that frame and crane as appropriate to set it where we wanted removing the lifting structure to await removal. Using an old derelict trailer frame would be ideal.

Edited by DMiller - 10 Nov 2018 at 11:43am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 4:58pm
Its a good idea for sure, but I think it’s too expensive in iron and welding, and it needs to get transported to the harbor as well. I think it ends up with some proper certificate lifting eyes, and a prof welder to stick them on the main frame.

It’s have to be realative easy to hook it up because the ship have 6 cargo rooms and therefore there are gonna be some transportation
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:28pm
Just make sure that it's insured well...Wink
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Morten.have Morten.have wrote:

Thanks jerry, the cab is okay but I don’t have a manifold or exhaust yet because of my illness, I’m planing to take a look at it these week :)

Good luck with the manifold Morten. I lucked out on mine and was able to get it re welded.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic