This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

645 B Fiat Allis payloader value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 645 B Fiat Allis payloader value
    Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 9:53am
Been without a payloader too long, so thought it better money to get a different one than to throw money at the old one. We have been pondering on one for sale (645 B) for a while now, and decided to pursue it. Our present payloader is also a 645, so we'll have parts. Anyway, it's a long story why we decided to knock the old one in the head, but we did. The one we are looking at is 11 grand. Has awesome BF Goodrich radial tires on it. Looks to be in excellent shape. Son is going to look at it today. One of the lower prices 645's I seen advertised for sale. But when my son stopped to visit the banker this morning, the banker went onto machinery Pete website, and decided it's way over priced. Said that on auction, 7,500 is about the high end on them. He still went along with the purchase of it, but thought we were over paying. I don't know what to think now. I am sure that the tires alone are worth 4 grand. The son will know a lot more after he looks at it today, but talking to the seller on the phone, it sounds like it doesn't need a thing. The one that I am turning into a parts machine was definitely cheaper, but had we gave it everything it needed, it damn sure wouldn't have been. It probably was a mistake buying the first one that I did, but it was a learning experience. Definitely know now that we like the 645, and want to stick with one. Can't hold the problems that we had with it against the machine, but the moron who worked on it previously, who did things to it that I would not have had a clue to look for. Like example, removing the transmission filter and connecting the hoses to it together. I am a little confused now, but if this payloader is as good as it seems, I think it's a lot of machine for 11 K. What y'all think. ? Thanks, Darrel
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 1:14pm
Heavy machines are a bit sporadic as to pricing. Those machines with a draw as Wheel Loader which are still quite attractive to own will command higher prices much as TLB Units. Buddy of mine bought a late Case 580K did what he needed it for and tried to sell, three years ago no demand what calls were made were lo-ball so sat, priced it where others are selling last month and already gone as NEEDED for work NOW and actually sold for more than advertised three years back.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 2:39pm
With your experience your in a better place to "guess" what condition it really is. But the market has to be thin for a machine of this age with the questionable parts supply.

But having used a commercial loader and going back to a farm loader I see the plus to this over a farm loader. But the hard part of it on a farm is it saves time and effort but cannot real say how it is making money. Hopefully you keep back a little and get the seller to give a little. Good luck.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 5:09pm
First off any AC machine is going to be low priced - they ain't making them any more ! 
Demand vs availability - if it said CAT on it and was same size - about 4 times what you mentioned . 
 So it's worth what you can work it for and pay for itself in a couple years or ?
Like my 715B - TLB - was 1/3 the cost of a JD or Ford hoe when I bought it - as far as I am concerned it's worth what I paid for it yet today and that's 20 years or more use . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 5:43pm
No doubt on that, a mid 70s 955 or 951 will be low $20's high teens to a AC in the single digit thousands. IHC, Dresser, Dressta now following that ill fated path as well with fewer used machines for parts and parts scarce-ing out.

Buddy of mine still works HE stated even as Deere is nothing more than a rebadge Liebherr they latter are getting tough to find service parts for as are Komatsu Cat clones.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 3:01pm
Darrel did you buy that loader and get it home yet?  Tom
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Darrel did you buy that loader and get it home yet?  Tom

Yes, it's bought. Actually my son is the new owner of it. Not too many 21 year olds would rather buy a payloader than something frivolous, but he did. It's supposed to be here by about noon tomorrow. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 9:14pm
Serial number of the machine is: 11Y03839.
Can anyone tell me what year it would be, and whether it's still Allis Chalmers, or if it's Fiat Allis? Serial number plate says Allis Chalmers. Sheet metal decals say Fiat Allis. Thanks, Darrel
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:50pm
If my book is right it would be made in '73 and should by rights really be a full breed A-C. I would say the price you paid is in the good ball park for what you're describingClap 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:38pm
Thank you Eric. My son used it quite a bit today to manure out some cattle pens. He said that he really liked it. Darrel
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:00pm
Darrel... I know you talked about the trouble you're having with your first 645 but I have forgotten the real issue... what was the problem exactly? 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:03pm
Have any pictures
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 6:40am
Originally posted by Eric B Eric B wrote:

Darrel... I know you talked about the trouble you're having with your first 645 but I have forgotten the real issue... what was the problem exactly? 

Not enough time to explain it all now. Maybe I'll get a chance tonight or tomorrow. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

Have any pictures

I'll see if I can get Wyatt on to posting some. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Eric B Eric B wrote:

Ok, here's the long version. Grab a bag of popcorn, sit down, relax, and read. In the beginning...……..Oooops, wrong story. fast forward a few years.

First 645, bought I suppose 3 or 4 years ago. Was missing entire hood, seller said transmission didn't pull as good as it should have. Did have a matched set of four really good tires, had a really good grapple fork, loader pins and such seems tight, engine ran good, priced what I thought was right at 8 grand. Kind of a funny side note; the day it was delivered, my brother in law had a semi come to the place to haul a load of cattle out for him. It spun out, and couldn't make the hill up my driveway. My oldest son jumped in the payloader and pulled the semi up and out of the yard, easily. That truck driver talked to me later, and said that he couldn't believe how that payloader pulled him without spinning a tire. He said his own payloader would have just spun out and it would have been all over with. Just had to chuckle to myself. Never did tell him that it didn't spin because it didn't put enough power to the ground to spin. Worked I guess. Can't argue with success.

We tried different oil in the transmission, In hopes of it helping. Was told it required the red stuff. Put in the best we could get, and pulled the screen out of the transmission, and cleaned it out. Old oil had some glitter. Didn't learn it yet then, but figured out later that the transmission was supposed to have an external filter also. Some rocket scientist had removed it and just screwed the hoses going to it together. Still didn't set any performance records (actually no improvement), but it got work done for us.....for a while.

A few months after that, when we were fueling it up one day, I noticed a bolt that looked like it had fresh fallen out of somwhere, but I couldn't find out where. Found out about five minutes later where it came from. My son had just gotten down to the hay yard with it and it died on him. Went down to it, started looking for the trouble. Found all three of the bolts that hold the injector pump in were gone, and the pump had gotten pushed out and the drive gear shot. Go figure.......how does like that happen? Hadn't been touched in XX years, and all of sudden injector pump bolts go loose and fall out? Can't remember what all got damaged, but the pump went to injpumped. Payloader was out of commission until spring. I think actually spring came and maybe turned into summer before we got the pump back on, and had it running again.

I don't exactly remember the time line of events after that, but somewhere along the way we changed transmission oil again, and put some plain ole hydraulic oil in it. Then it would pull like a locomotive, better than it ever did; like good enough to be a keeper! Looking back, maybe the injector pump rebuild had given the engine a little more oomph or had something to do with it. Still not sure on that. Enthusiasm was short lived. After running it for a while, we were back to a dead beat transmission. Got pissed and parked it. A couple days, or maybe a couple weeks later, I walked by it, and for the heck of it I pulled the transmission dipstick. Not a drop of oil on it. Where did did it go.....? Had no idea at the time, but I very quickly added some oil to it and tried it again. Had the "bring a grin to your face" attitude again. Pulled to beat hell. A day or so later, Shameless sent us about 10 inches of his purdy. My wife tried to get to work, but couldn't even get down the driveway. I went down with the pickup and got it stuck too. Called up the son. He came down with the payloader. Pushing snow with it like I couldn't beleive. Went around us, backed up, pulled us out, and plowed a trail clear to the mailbox. I thought we had er licked, until the son called and said he bareley made it back up the driveway.

When I got back home, I pulled the dipstick on the transmission again. Once again, no oil on the dipstick. Looked for leaks, puddles, anything. A real head scratcher. Decided to top it off again and this time we were going to watch it extra close for leaks. Was pushing up snow/manure with it, and it was really pushing good when the leak showed up......in a most non-suspecting place. Out of the fill cap on the hydraulic oil reservoir! Yup, the hydraulic reservoir was running over. Talked to an expert, and found out that one particular seal goes out in one of the pumps on the front of the transmission, it'll transfer oil from the transmission to the hydraulic system. That was definitly what was happening. But, by this time, whenever we pulled the engine oil dipstick, we were seeing the gray, milky substance on it that no one likes to see, and anti freeze was disappearing. Not at an alarming rate, but enough that we couldn't deny the inevitable.

So now what....? After much thought, studying, pondering, I had a plan. Not a good plan mind you, but a poor man's plan. I was going to drain all of the oil out of the transmission and the hydraulics, get an external transmission filter back on like it was supposed to have, and then fill everything up with the same kind of hy-tran oil. Now for the dumb part: I had a very simple easy plan to put an overflow tube on the hydraulic oil tank at the upper level and run it back down to the transmission. I know it would have worked, and it was only going to be temporarilly, until I could get the pumps off and the seal fixed, or until the engine decided to out from it's complications; oil anti-freeze cross contamination. The whole plan never got past the planning stage. I was using the payloader to just push a little manure up one day, and just got into it a little bit, and the most gut wrenching metal to metal sound came out of the bell housing area, and we quit moving. No forward. No reverse. No nothing. Just noise.

Talked to my expert once again. He figured that the flex plate between the engine flywheel and the torque converter on the transmission had shelled out. Made sense to me. Knew the engine had to come out. I knew that if the engine did come out, that same engine was NOT going back in with it's potential for failure. It may have went for hundreds of hours, or may not have made it for one hour. Not a chance I wanted to take. So it sat for about the last year and a half. Really didn't know what to do. I guess the fact that it sat for a year and a half is a testiment to the fact that I don't rush into anything or make rash decisions, except some times. LOL.

So recently, my wife started reminding me daily that I had better come up with something to get the corrals cleaned out for HER cattle ASAP or else! And the corrals are beyond cleaning with XT or the 185, and I refuse to abuse a farm loader tractor like that anyhow. So, back to needing a payloader. Took a very serious look at the situation with my son, and came up with this plan. We decided that the transmission (when the oil level was adequate) was working as it should. Figured a new flex plate shouldn't break the bank. New seal in the pump that was causing the oil transfer shouldn't be earth shattering. Already had an external filter lined up for the transmission. Weak link: The engine. So that was it. The old girl was going to get the minor repairs, plus a new engine. Now I talked to Steve Fischer out of Sleepy Eye MN, about an engine, and he was going to line me out with one, at a fantastic price. Just needed to get the old one out to take to him, and get the new one. We were pretty sure, when we went to pull the engine, that we wouldn't need to bother taking out the flex plate bolts. We thought it was tore apart anyhow. The engine wouldn't come out, so we had to take em out. Then the engine came out, and the flex plate was as good as gold. But the torque converter and beyond sure had issues. Don't know yet what exactly is tore up, but the torque converter is plum loose (won't come off though) and makes a rattle when we turn it. When we got to that point, I told the son that that was the straw that broke the camels back. This thing just became a parts machine!

I even forgot several other issues with it that seemed to drive me nuts that were complete flukes, but I think I've clacked away at this computer keyboard long enough already. Darrel
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 11:02pm
Your overflow tube idea made me chuckle. Never would have thought of it, but can't see why it wouldn't work.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 2:44pm
I have been down a similar road a time or 3.Darn pesky little things, like paying for conveniences of the right machine for a job that doesn't have a pay check when your done. May the new machine be the answer to your troubles.

PS
I am not a good English student so you may not have written it correctly,but thank you for breaking you post up so my poor bifocaled eyes could start over on a new paragraph.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 6:44pm
Thanks Darrel for your detailed report... I didn't mean for you to put that much time into it. I had to chuckle out loud as I read your intro as I had already sat down with a big bag of popcorn in my lap LOL. I feel bad for the bad rap you've had with your first loader. I agree with the other comment that the right move was buying a good running machine and at a fair price. Some day you may come across a cheap donor machine... then you could still consider fixing the #1. It is still very labor intensive however.
These Allis series loaders are really slick, no wonder they were the cat's meow when they hit the market long ago. They are fast, agile and productive. I like Cat loaders and have run many of their models but the design and performance of the 5, 6 & 745 loaders come out on top in my opinion. It's little wonder they still to this day build the same design (with some alterations) loaders in Sweden and they are popular and competitive in Europe.
I wish you all the best with your son's recent purchase! 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 1:28pm
Thanks, Eric. I really do hate to start pirating parts off of the first 645. I know that once the first part comes off of it, it's all over with for good for it. Which I guess was the whole idea anyhow. Probably the first thing to come off of it will be either one hydraulic valve stack section, or both of them, if they'll fit. We need a third one on the new payloader for sure to run the grapple fork. If we can get four of them to work, we'll do that right away, in hopes that some day we can put a split grapple onto it, which would require yet another hydraulic valve. Darrel
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 11:49pm
Eric B, what brand are the Swedish AC copies?

I have a slightly similar story for my 545.  I bought it from a guy a couple hundred miles away, looked and drove it first but didn't know of it's problem until I got it home.  Once it warms up the machine is very sluggish, it will keep moving but very slowly, especially if I'm trying to road it a few miles.  Changed the trans oil, kind of like Darrel, also filters.  Remembered the previous owner telling me it worked better with extra oil in the trans, so put an extra gallon or so in.  Same thing, fine at first, but as it got warmed up, got sluggish.  Had a machinic friend spend some time on it.  He drained and saved the oil in the trans and removed a cover on the back side to look in. Using a little mirror on a stick, he discovered the intake tube to the trans pump has a crack just above a bracket holding it to the case.  There is no way to repair it in place, have to remove the trans and disassemble it and then put in a new or repaired tube.  Problem is, the cab has to come off, along with the hood, radiator and cover and, of course, the engine.  I figure is is a several day job at the shop but it's 6 miles away and I really don't have time to deal with it any way.  Also the brakes are nearly worthless.  Bought a Ford A62 a few years ago and it does the job but has a steering problem.  Maybe if I would just bite the bullet some day and buy a newer machine, I wouldn't have as many problems but even at 30 grand, you really don't know how good a machine is until you run it a while. 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 9:51am
Do you still have that 545, John. ..? Darrel
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:10am
My 545 is transferring trans to hyd also. I found brg cage in sump at beginning.Old mechanic said top shaft brg is usual culprit.Pretty sure it the one that has the charge pump and hyd pump stacked.That lets shaft wobble and pull/push oil through seal. Need to fix it before it does the "Darrell". Both compartments run Dexron. I have siphon hose in cab to drain hyd back to trans about 30min run time. 545 & 645 use same trans but diff converters.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 05 Nov 2018 at 10:11am
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 1:14pm
Darrell, I saw 1 listed for sale in last weeks shopper. It had 2000 more hours on it than your new one. They were asking $6500.00. Can't think you guys got hurt.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 4:12pm
[QUOTE=JohnCO]
Eric B, what brand are the Swedish AC copies?

John, the brand name for these loaders in Sweden is "Ljungby" simply the name of the city where they are built. They started in 1984 and I guess as Fiat-Allis was starting to fade out of the picture they weren't concerned over patent laws... is what I suspect. You can see from pictures that the frames and loader set up is very identical to the Allis series. Once Volvo got the message that they had new competition they refused to sell them new engines. It does somewhat surprise me that Ljungby Maskin AB got off the ground because business ventures in Sweden can't be done cheap. So now it's already 34 years and they are going strong in light of the strong Asian export around the world. I don't remember the model year now but I came across one used such machine with about 22000 hrs and I think the price was still around $50000.00... gives the idea of market strength. I'll include a link if you wish to see pictures of some of their models, unfortunately you have to copy and paste the link into a new browser as I don't know how to put life to them here. You can also see a number of youtube videos of these machines working.

https://ljungbymaskin.se/en

The guy I bought my first A-C 816 from had a 545 loader with exactly the same problem of the trans. pick up tube being cracked. He didn't find out 'til it was all apart of course. In your case John if I were you and I don't know if you run your loader in the winter much but I would put in straight 40W engine oil in the transmission as it would be a little slower leak in that cracked pick up tube. I used to run 30W engine oil in my 745 both winter and summer. The important part is to stop running right away when it slows down as the pressure to the clutches is reduced enough to slip and you don't want them to get unnecessary wear.
It's a bit of a pickle owning and maintaining these machines when they don't make you big money to cover big repairs. Things like brakes aren't necessarily expensive things to fix but a bit of a wrestling match to do the labor (especially for us seniors LOL).

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 11:07pm
That's a good looking machine Eric.  I see they had a used one with 25,000 hr for nearly 50 grand. 

As long as the trans is overfilled so the oil level is above the cracked tube, it works ok for several hours if it's not working too hard.  It really slows down when I have it in high range.  I haven't used it for a couple years but put a battery in it every so often and run it a while.  It's on my long list of projects to work on.

Darrel, Of course I still have the 545, I never sell anything that says Allis Chalmers on it!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 11:46pm
50000 US dollars or 50000 Kronar?

HD3
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 1:06am
Originally posted by NomoreJohnDeere NomoreJohnDeere wrote:

50000 US dollars or 50000 Kronar?

$50000.00 US dollars
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic