This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roofs. What material do you use

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roofs. What material do you use
    Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 6:33pm
Wondering what everybody else is putting up on there old barn roof. They have shingles on now. Some guys tell us to put tin on and some say go back to shingles. Thanks
Sponsored Links

*DougW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *DougW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 7:34pm
I'm a painted tin guy. Good tin should last 25 years before needing paint. Shingles won't last a whole lot longer, then labor to replace again. Plus, wind can rip some off. Tin will be more expensive up front, but should be cheaper long term. It
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 7:54pm
Galvanized tin. Will last for many years.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 7:59pm
Mine was done in gavalinized steel back in the 70s sill looks good and no leaks. It was steeled over the 1x decking felt barrier attached with lead washer screws. We redid dads barn back in the early 80s galvanized it was the predecessor to prorib rubber washer screws. Still looks great no leaks. Also put on over decking with felt paper barrier. A steel roof does need to be properly vented to keep it from rusting on the backside. You also need to be carefull installing if you scratch it it will rust. If you tighten the screws to much. You'll Bulge the rubbers out and dimple the steel the rubbers will disenegrate the steel gets loose and it leaks.
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:39pm
Last roof I did, we went with metal.
When labor was included, metal was 25% cheaper than shingles.
And, a few years ago, we need to replace the west wall of a barn. Wood was $50 cheaper than metal. But when labor was added in, metal was $300 cheaper than wood.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 9:31pm
METAL,---- and never look back!!!!!! lol!!! thanks ac fleet
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 9:33pm
Wow that's all metal vote lol. Thanks everyone
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 5:29am
Metal and use screws rather than nails. Unless you like climbing up and driving nails back in that is
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 5:46am
I'd strap 2by4 and then steel. if the sheetings good, no need to strip.
You need GOOD air flow under 'tin' and a full length 'ridge vent'.
When Hy-Grade did my house they strapped 1by4 vertical, then 1by4 horizontal so LOTS of air flow. it looks same as it did 10 years ago.
It's one of those 'do it fight, once' projects. When grankids inherit the farm, they'll remember YOU done it right !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 7:10am
Home Depot has 31 gauge tin. 31 gauge, is that OK?
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 7:48am
My barn built in 1960 or there about has a corrugated metal roof on it and as long as you paint it every 10 years or so will last and last.  That said it is thicker metal than what you can buy today.  The new stuff you can cut easily with tin snips but it's a real pain cutting the old stuff.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 5:29pm
I thought the normal steel roofing was 29 gauge ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

Home Depot has 31 gauge tin. 31 gauge, is that OK?
That 31 gauge would be like tissue paper compared to what morton buildings uses.they use 26 gauge guaranteed fore 35 years.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 8:06pm
I had the metal roof on my house replaced this spring, both 26 gage, but the metal that was put on in 1980 is a lot heavier than the new 26 gage, I thinks more aluminum in the new stuff...the insurance man said to replace it,,, although I didn't see any damage....

I would go with metal roof...takes some big bad hail to damage it...
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

I had the metal roof on my house replaced this spring, both 26 gage, but the metal that was put on in 1980 is a lot heavier than the new 26 gage, I thinks more aluminum in the new stuff...the insurance man said to replace it,,, although I didn't see any damage....

I would go with metal roof...takes some big bad hail to damage it...

Most likely in 1980, the metal was 26ga + the coating/paint.
Now it is metal + coating/paint = 26ga.
That's not all bad, some of the coating/paint now, are light years ahead of what you could buy in 1980.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 8:22pm
Gauge   Steel thickness

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:17am
I have some lead head nails used for steel roofing from the '50's.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:34am
The 31 ga is dura panel, it's for putting on your inside walls and ceiling. It makes a beautiful ceiling. When you put the LED lights up against it the shop is nice and bright. Get the pro rib or prorib plus for exteriors. It should be 26 ga.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic