This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 VDC winches,,,??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 VDC winches,,,??
    Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:07am

The winch I was gonna buy to pull the well pump on our lot next door has not worked out. I been looking at those at Harbor freight as well as Ebay. I would like to buy one I could possibly use on my trailer after well project is done. I'm thinking bout a 4000# winch is what I want.
I noticed that the rectangular shaped "Boat Winches" have much higher pull ratings than the regular shaped ATV winches that are bout 14" wide. The Boat winches are bout 8" long X6"wide X 8"tall. Anybody got any experiences with either one,,??
Sponsored Links

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 6:16am
Read carefully Joe, many boat winches are rated for a rolling load and are made for short pulls
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:57am
years ago I bought one of those $99. jobs from Sam's club, it has served me well thru the years, but is starting to get weaker. a friend had one of them remote control (wireless) winches from HF, I wouldn't pull a corvair onto a trailer. I think it was a #5000 lbs winch. there are so many variables of sizes and powers, prolly hafta use process of elimination? how deep is your well? if it's stuck, might be better off hiring it pulled, be lots less grief, and you DON'T need any more grief right now!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:54am
Got a 6000# HF winch on my utility trailer that has loaded numerous tractors and a couple of Chebby Blazers and a 2500# ATV winch on my small trailer for lawn mowers. I fried one of the 2500#'s (my fault) but HF replaced it under the extended warranty w/o any hassle. I was going to buy a Warn winch but they are made in China also and cost a bunch more. A good battery and good connections are the key to a winch working well. The HF 9000# unit would probably be a good fit unless you want the larger 12000# unit.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:31am
OK, here's another 'gotcha'... most ATV style winches to NOT lock /hold the load when power is removed !! They 'free wheel' when power is off.. Found that out the hard way,DADT. Also some(all ?) use 2 self-resetting circuit breakers in parallel for power protection. Problem is when one fails, the other trip real fast..yeah another of life's lessons. If you want power them through a proper 'contactor' which is really 2 form C relays( NO-com-NC), about $40. That WILL provide hard braking when the power is off. My riding snowblower  is wired this way and blower stays up forever....
If you run teh cable through a snatch block ,you double the pulling power but it'll go 2x slower. Also connect directly to battery or heavy duty cables....

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:46am
Ya better buy a good’en ya got friends that drive chebbies.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:12am
I had a Ramsey 12,000 planetary winch on the bed of my 5 ton for loading on the hydraulic beaver tail, the winch worked well, but I couldnt keep brakes in it. After a few years of that frustration, I bought a top of the line 12,000 Ramsey worm gear winch, couldn't keep motors in that one, as the motor was bronze bushed with a pinion gear to drive the gearbox, the pinion was un-supported on the outboard end thus putting all the load on the motor bearing. Over $3,000 in American made winches thus far and not too happy, I bought a $300 12,000 lb winch at HF, used it for four years, no problems, sold it with the truck. I replaced the truck with a tilt deck trailer, installed another HF 12,000 winch on that, worked fine for three years until a few weeks ago when somebody decided that they needed the trailer worse than I did. New trailer is on order and will equip it the same. I have another 5,000 lb HF winch I bought for utility use, and it seems fine also. I think they may be a little optimistic about capacity, but for the price, just go one size larger than you think you will ever need.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:50am
The HF ATV winch I have has the load holding brake. Like ol' Thad says - better get a good one if you have friends that drive Chebbies.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:18pm
I gots a winch for ya...has about 100 ft of 3/4 inch cable on it, and a BIG hook! you can mount it on any heavy trailer or truck, it would bottom out your ferds!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:30pm
Actual increase by adding snatch block is 70.7% with each additional pulley, calculated after each pulley.
Sorry, used to be Wreckmaster certified back when I drove tow truck. Was on the test.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by truckerfarmer truckerfarmer wrote:

Actual increase by adding snatch block is 70.7% with each additional pulley, calculated after each pulley.
Sorry, used to be Wreckmaster certified back when I drove tow truck. Was on the test.

Ya, 2x theoretical, 70.7 must be rule of thumb actual for friction and direction change around the sheave 😎
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:42pm
Still have to pull twice as far! Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic