This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

d17 fluids?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: d17 fluids?
    Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:07am
with the recent 0 - 15 below weather the tractor wouldn't start and when it was turning over (very slowly with a very good battery) the power director lever was moving back and forth about 2 inches? pulled the dipstick and what ever was in there wouldn't run down the dipstick, wasn't froze but was very thick. now that the weather is warmer I'm gonna try to get it fired up and change all the fluids.

I've seen several differant posts and read what the manuals say, but was wondering what fluids ya use your d17? A few posts  said to use hydro trans in everything...(but the radiator and engine...LOL)  that sure would make it simple for fluids. thanks dt.
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Sponsored Links

Tim (Cent.WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim (Cent.WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:15am
That is correct, uses a Hy/Tran equivalent to AC Power Fluid 821 in the trans and rear end.
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 8:25am
how about the power director and psteering?
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:12am
EVERYWHERE EXCEPT ENGINE AND RADIATOR.
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:33am
From what you said it sounds like you didn’t have the foot clutch disengaged because you said power director lever was moving. Make it easier starting regardless of temperature
Tim (Cent.WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim (Cent.WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 3:09pm
Power director takes the hy tran 821, the power steering is supposed to take dexron ATF but the 821 would probably work there as well.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:59pm
In really cold weather ( below 20 ) I have a short board cut to length that fits between clutch pedal fully depressed and axel . I start tractor with board in place and let it run for a few minutes before slowly letting clutch out .Starts easier without moving all that cold "fluid"
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:24pm
Be safe, set on seat to hold clutch down, then let out to start warming the rest of oil. Also wares throw out bearing and fingers.    MACK
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 4:49am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

Be safe, set on seat to hold clutch down, then let out to start warming the rest of oil. Also wares throw out bearing and fingers.    MACK

I don't have a seat to sit onLOL.  there is no original seat, there is one for the back hoe, but can't see how it will work for running the tractor.  it's a work in progress...Tongue
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:52am
wow, that stuff was nasty!!! pulled the plub and about a teaspoon of water came out the nothing...next a big blob of ? came out, then the fluid, followed by more blobs.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:00am
Install 3 gallons of diesel fuel and let it run for a few minutes and drain it again.
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:30pm
there was a lot of nasty in were the hydraulic fluid goes....wow. rear/trans wasn't bad, but the hydro compartent was a mess!!!
Ijos27 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ijos27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 7:30pm
Hello everyone, I recently bought a allis chalmers d17 tractor series 2. And the 2 disticks after the engine dipstick are showing low on fluids. I want to refill them but I am sort of confused because I asked 2 different tractor owners about the fluids and what to get and where to put them so I need you alls help if you can help. So there is a dip stick at the right side of the tractor and I thought that was for transmission fluid the large black cap after the engine dipstick. I need to know what goes in there 80w gear oil or is that for sae20 hydraulic fluid. Then I have another dipstick to the right side of the shifter it's showing low and need to know what to pour into that one? I can email pictures of dipsticks and where they are located on tractor.

Link below shows the pictues of dipsticks.
Paste into your browser that link. Please private message me.your replies if you know what I need.thanks

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15Q9S76O8b_PuI7v52NokFD-CE6RZEQlo

Edited by Ijos27 - 30 Jun 2022 at 8:28pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 8:17pm
are you going to just fill up, or are you going to drain and refill... Some use trans / hydraulic fluid in BOTH compartments... Some might have 80-90 gear lube in the transmission.. I would drain that and check before i added anything.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ijos27 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ijos27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 8:30pm
Don't have enough fluids to drain and refill would be expensive so I'm just filling up to proper levels. Look at pictures please at the link.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 8:48pm
thats my point... you better suck out a sample and check or drain it ( you can reuse)... but you should not mix 80-90 gear lube with transmission/ hyd fluid....
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 9:27pm
Ijos27 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ijos27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 9:36pm
Thank you all for the help

Edited by Ijos27 - 01 Jul 2022 at 7:38am
Ijos27 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ijos27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 9:40pm
Thanks

Edited by Ijos27 - 01 Jul 2022 at 7:37am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 10:46pm
Hydraulic fluid goes in the breather/dipstick on the right side under the fuel tank. Transmission oil into the breather/dipstick to the right of the gearshift. Transmission oil or hydraulic oil to the left and forward of the gearshift hex head dipstick.
Ijos27 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ijos27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 11:56am
Dr. Allis. On the last sentence you said transmission or hydraulic fluid into left of gearshift forward hex head nut. What does that reservoir go to? I'd like to put proper fluids into it so if it goes to the transmission I'll put gear oil if it goes to hydraulic I'll put hydraulic fluid into it
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 12:00pm
Series 3 and 4 D-17 that fill/check point is the HYDRAULIC system.    If it is older than series 3 it is the power Director clutch and PTO gears, which will take abut any kind of oil. If changing it, use hyd/trans oil.
Ijos27 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ijos27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 4:26pm
I did everything recommended to me now tractor will not move in any forward gear or reverse. Guessing since mine is a series 2d17 needs gear pil80w in the dipstuck filler left front of gear shifter? Dammit spent allot of money and time doing this and have to start over in worst condition that condition that was.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 4:46pm
Tractor won't move at all?? and you have the hand clutch lever all the way FORWARD or pulled all the way to the REAR ??     You bought it as a tractor that wouldn't move ??????
Ijos27 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ijos27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 5:00pm
Nevermind I read up a few post and glad someone mention power director clutch! I had mine in neutral so once that got moved to low or high it moved. Thanks for everything. Atleast I know whats in the tractor now because I put it in it there. Yall be good now
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic