This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 434445
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 9:18pm
Yes! Correct tooling, and lots of gentle leverage! 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 7:22am
Folks,
 Just a brief update in the world of this old orange tractor!
So I have been taking this unit to tractor pulls and having a good time! The engine is fresh and runs real good. 
After I pulled Saturday and was moving the tractor around on Sunday morning, I noticed that it seemed to be stuck in reverse. Having rebuilt the shift tower I was a little surprised, but hey its still a old tractor and things happen. So I pried out the snap ring, pulled the shifter, and gently moved the center shifting fork back to neutral. Re assembled and she acts fine again. Don't know how or why, but crap does happen! Maybe she was just a little ticked I didnt give her a pat on the head for this:

Hope things are good in orange land!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 8:35am
Nice work Chris!! Winning pulls, that's awesome!

My one WD (the one I haven't gotten fixed up yet) got stuck in reverse for the first time circa 1999 or so. Has happened a few times since then, but we bored out the keyway and put in an oversized pin and it seemed to help the slop. But I am still paranoid when I'm out driving it. Never was quite sure how it happened, but I always figured it was something about the twist of the curved shifter that let it slip out at an odd angle from the rail... But never could confirm it. Hasn't happened in many years, knock on wood. I have a new curved shifter to install one of these days as the old one was hacked up on both ends.

I put a new 12V battery in that tractor this weekend and she wouldn't fire up... So I ordered a new ground strap and battery cable, as the battery itself seems good. Figure to at least make the starter spin, as long as the cable to the starter is good and the ground strap is good and the starter button works, it should at least spin the engine over. Starting there. Getting a jump start on fixing up the other tractor now I guess.
MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 12:38am
Hey Chris! Glad you still got this ol girl and looks like you eventually did put a new Booster gauge on it too?
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 5:50am
Mike,
 Good to hear from you! How are you? I think last time we talked you were having back issues? Tell your Dad and Mom hello from us in NWPA. 

Yes this is the second gauge. First one the needle broke off during plowing. Sandy Lake stood behind the failure and sent me a replacement. The new one, I added a coat of clear to the body as the first one had a little surface rust after a year or so.

Shifter seems to be working fine after a removal and  "adjustment"!

Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Mike,
 Good to hear from you! How are you? I think last time we talked you were having back issues? Tell your Dad and Mom hello from us in NWPA. 

Yes this is the second gauge. First one the needle broke off during plowing. Sandy Lake stood behind the failure and sent me a replacement. The new one, I added a coat of clear to the body as the first one had a little surface rust after a year or so.

Shifter seems to be working fine after a removal and  "adjustment"!

Regards,
 Chris

Doing good Chris…been a helluva year but good and busy. Well it’s still looking good for sure.I didn’t even know you had gotten a new gauge…think when we came by you still had the original.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 7:53am

GG,
 Yes they need to go over center till the tab on the eccentric bolt rest against the bracket. I had to use a cheater on each one I did. You might be able to use a impact, but you don't have the same control or feel, but the vibration might bring it over center. Your idea of moving may be good, and work, but I never moved mine till I had all the eccentrics in place and tight.
Others may have better ideas than I on getting them tight. Also I do this with no weight on the wheel.
Regards,
Chris

Well thanks to this I got inspired to go crank down the eccentrics on my tractor (you may have seen it in my other thread). Two foot breaker bar and lots of sweating. I had it on the ground when I did it and worked from the bottom up. The top one on each side was a total bear. I think it came out pretty good, as it is where the wheels naturally wanted to sit in the middle, though the one on the right doesn't seem perfectly straight.... But I don't remember it being straight back with the old rim either when I got it from grandpa (and it had ballast in it then). Feels good to have them locked and knowing they aren't going to "move" on me, though for sure.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 1:09pm
GG,
 Yea these are not for the faint of heart! Very tight but when cleaned and lubed they should go over center and lock with a nice steady pressure as you show.
Regards,
 Chris
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 3:29pm
Hi Chris,
Glad to see that your fixerupper is all fixed up now!

I was reading up a little bit about your traction boost gauge. My new one did the same thing. I took Charlie Tucker's advice from here and bought a 5000PSI liquid filled gauge. It's been working for about 7 years now!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 3:38pm

GG,
 Yea these are not for the faint of heart! Very tight but when cleaned and lubed they should go over center and lock with a nice steady pressure as you show.
Regards,
 Chris

I hear that! Interestingly getting them to about the 2/3rds mark was the hardest, after that, it was a constant pressure to lock them all the way down. I definitely put a lot of "muscle" into it, but I am so glad they are fully locked down now, as I was really concerned about having them slip on me.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 6:28pm
A little oil might help them turn a lot easier.
We had a '53 WD, and moved the wheels a couple times a year, and used the tools that came with it, don't remember needing a cheater.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 9:42pm
Dusty sure has the correct approach. If these wheel eccentrics got moved a couple times a year and lubed also, I am sure they would function a lot better.
 Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 3:21pm
Hey Mr Chris!! Been doing a lot with this ‘ol girl huh? Sure still looks good.BTW…copper based anti seize works wonders on stuff like eccentrics and other hateful stuff that likes to seize up over time.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 7:43am
MD,
 Good to hear from you! Tell Dad and Mom I said hi. Looking forwards to your next visit!
Planning to go to a tractor pull this Saturday in nearby NY state. Meaders has a good pull I am told. just for fun. Run what you brung, Bragging rights only no trophies or money.
 They have a doubeltree pull that I want to see. Should be interesting. Friend Jim may haul for me he has a nice trailer like you do. So we could take 2 Allis tractors. Will try to get some pictures.
The WD45 seems to do pretty well but the WZ doesnt seem to have the spunk I expected. Wondering if the gleaner engine is somehow set up different on the governor components. Like maybe the governor spring is different for a combine engine??
Regards,
 Chris 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 6:36pm
Hey Chris..yessir I sure will tell them and as humid as it’s been down here I’m ready to come up for a visit 😁.I’m not sure about the gov set between the two but I would suspect you’re likely right to speculate a difference.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 7:05pm
CONGRATS on the pull and the win Chris!  That trophy is worth all that work!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 434445
  Share Topic