This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heat affecting Magneto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
10-E Chalmers View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-E Chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat affecting Magneto
    Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:06pm
I have a 1938 B that I have a fresh rebuild on and she runs great, pulls well and does what I ask of her, never gets above 180, (175 usually)but after she's been running for about an hour or so, (say when I'm plowing) she'll just quit and won't start again until she's totally cooled down. She's getting good gas (new bowl etc., but no carb rebuild)the only thing I can figure is that the magneto is getting worn and needs a rebuild. Any ideas are appreciated! I thank you in advance, 10-E Chalmers

"a closed mouth gathers no feet"
Sponsored Links

Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:26pm
Sounds like your mag has the old asphalt covered coil and needs to be replaced. Did you check for spark after it quit? LOL Bob
4 B's, 1 C's,3 CA's, 2 G's WD, D14, D15, B-1, B10, B12, 712S,
Matt (Jordan,MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (Jordan,MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 12:28am
I agree with Bob. sounds like a bad coil. I can rebuild your mag or supply parts. Matt
Owner of Matt Scott LLC
Specializing in NOS and used Allis Chalmers tractor & implement parts & liturature and Magneto Repair
http://www.mattscottllc.com/
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-E Chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 10:12pm
I guess I didn't even think to test for spark afterwards, good call fellas, after harvest I'll be plowing some new ground and will have to test that theory. I'll take you up on the parts or rebuild too if it comes to that!
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:30am
I had the same issue on my Farmall. It was a coil dying.
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
rtr View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 8:48am
Originally posted by 10-E Chalmers 10-E Chalmers wrote:

I guess I didn't even think to test for spark afterwards, good call fellas, after harvest I'll be plowing some new ground and will have to test that theory. I'll take you up on the parts or rebuild too if it comes to that!
I just had something like this happen to me. Not sure if it was becuase it flooded or the mag. It wasn't firing at all at first then when I let it sit for a while it would hit (pop) here and there but nothing strong enough to start it.......even with a little starting fluid. THis happened when I took my 1946 "C" for a 15 minute ride down the road and back. Got home and shut it down to open the gate, then tried to restart and nothing. Carburetor did drip a little bit after trying to start with and without choke. But I turned gas off and let it sit for 10 minutes and she still wouldn't start with ether. 

What do you think? Any way to test the coil? I should have checked for spark. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-E Chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:51pm
exactly what happens to me! She'll pop, but wont fire no matter how long I crank on her (and she's a hand crank only)if I pull her, she'll sputter until she fires, but once under load she'll die again, unless I let her cool down completely
rtr View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 7:59am
I got mine running again. Not sure what it was. Put the battery charger on it for about an hour so the 6 volt would turn over good. Turned off gas to prevent flooding and pulled #1 plug wire to check for spark. Not the greatest spark but got it to "pop" while holding wire 1/2" from plug. Put it back on and she fired right up!! Such a weird situation. 

Is there a way to check the coil or check the magneto impulse? 

Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:12am

Just pull it off and send it to a GOOD MAG guy ,will save you time messing around with it ,what's a few good bucks spent to make it run right .Guessing is of waste time .

Edited by Fred in Pa - 18 Oct 2016 at 8:13am
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 6:00pm
I had that problem with my 41 B. Hand crank also. The coil was fine. Reset the points and replaced condenser. All works fine now

Edited by ihscout - 18 Oct 2016 at 6:01pm
'40 AC B - My Pappy always told me "Use your head for something other than a tack hammer!" I did. It makes a great 16 pound sledge hammer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic