This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

b 10 fun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1mathom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: b 10 fun
    Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 9:09am
Picked up this little gem a couple of weeks ago. Runs like a top. Had a bent shaft in the mower deck.   Have that fixed now.   Only thing it needs is arm rests.

Sponsored Links

lrebeau View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lrebeau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 10:52am
wow good find!
1mathom1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1mathom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 11:55am
Thanks. Folks at the auction thought the "bent shaft" referred to a bent crank shaft. I didn't have to give much because of that.

If anyone knows where I could get a two-speed pulley set up, I appreciate a heads-up.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 2:19pm
Watch e-bay
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 2:33pm
thats clean looking  you will like that tractor
1mathom1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1mathom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 8:52am
Got the deck all put back together and back on the tractor but it throws the cross-drive belt before the deck even gets up to speed. Bearings in the PTO feel nice and smooth. Appears to be very little play in the PTO mount. Springs feel good.

Any ideas?
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 1:00pm
You are referring to the belt that actually runs from the tractor pto to the mower deck main pulley-right?  Are you lowering the mower deck BEFORE engaging the pto? They do not like to run with the deck raised. My B110 was the same exact way. Deck would run fine all day long when it is down. Forget to lower it first before engaging drive OR shut off pto before raising deck and the belt pops off. Also, does your deck have the belt guide that bolts to the belt covers. My B110 was missing this part for a long time and only recently did I find one. I still lower the deck before starting as I have always done so I'm still not sure if the belt guide is the answer. Just a habit now and not tempted to try otherwise-LOL. HTH
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
1mathom1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1mathom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 2:18pm
Yes, the belt running from the tractor to the mower. I will give lowering the deck first a try.   No, I do not have a belt guard/keeper on either the main deck pulley or the pulley on the tractor.   I do have guards on the belt from the bevel gear to the PTO.   Thanks.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 9:09pm
The belt guide should help but be prepared to spend some time looking before you actually find one. I only recently got one off ebay when it came up for sale. Only one I have seen on there for a while.
ALSO, you stated that you had to put the deck back on. Is the belt tensioner under the tractor engaged? That set of pulleys under the belly of the tractor is called a mule drive. There is a belt tensioner attached to that which pulls back on the mule drive assembly to provide the necessary tension on the mower drive belt when it is installed. There should be a spring attached to the frame of that mule drive. The other end of the spring is attached to a handle just under the left rear axle tube. The handle hangs down when there is no tension which helps to install the drive belt when you are putting the mower on. You have to lift it up to put tension on the mower drive belt and it will lock itself up against the rear axle. I have forgotten to lock the tensioner before after installing the mower deck. Guess what happens? Yup, the belt will fly off as soon as you try to engage the mower. LOL.
1mathom1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1mathom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:20am
I thinkI have found the main issue.   There is NO tension handle to be found. Spring is attached directly to bolted-on tab hanging from the frame.   Beginning the search for the handle parts now.
Thanks.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 10:18pm
You should be fine the way it is provided that the spring is under tension and not just hanging there. The only thing the handle version does is provide a way to relieve the tension against the belt when it comes time to installing or removing the mower deck. Are you certain that you have the correct length belt for your application? If so, then I would just try it again with the deck down first. As long as the spring is applying tension to the belt by pulling the mule drive back, then it doesn't really matter how it is attached. Should still work the same.
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 9:53pm
I don't believe the early B-10 tractors had the tensioner handle. It was just on the late B-10 and newer tractors.
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 9:08am
Originally posted by ACmowerguy ACmowerguy wrote:

I don't believe the early B-10 tractors had the tensioner handle. It was just on the late B-10 and newer tractors.
 I was wondering about that too. Dad has a B1 in NY and I couldn't recall if it had the lever on it or not. It has been a long time since that deck has been off.
1mathom1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1mathom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 9:41am
I've had to work on the fuel shut off valve so I have not had the opportunity to try running it with the deck lowered but in messing around with it last night I noticed the deck pulley does not line up directly with the PTO pulley. It appears the deck is off set to the right of center a couple of inches while the PTO pulley is dead-center of the bevel gear box.   Is that normal? I cannot tell from looking at the manuals.
1mathom1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1mathom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 12:23pm
Finally got a manual and figured out the PTO had been assembled incorrectly and the PTO pulley driving the belt going to the mower deck was replaced with an incorrect one. Put the drive assembly together correctly, put the correct pulley on it and guess what.   Works.   

In the process, I identified that the bevel gear box output seal on the PTO side is leaking.   Not horrible yet but time to replace it.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:31pm
Boy you did good there!  That's a cute little booger!  Enjoy it.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
1mathom1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1mathom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 9:24am
Been keeping an eye out for options and attachments. Saw a two-speed pulley come up for sale for twice what I paid for the tractor. Doubt I'd get my money back in value.   I guess that's the way it is with this old stuff.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic