This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

garden tractor lift?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19856020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: garden tractor lift?
    Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 11:11am
anyone use a hoist or lift of some kind for working on tractors or mower decks .working on 716,917,1920's thought about motorcycle lift but that doesn't seem quite right. would even consider building something. thanks for any advice
716 917 918 1920 d17 6080
Sponsored Links

Rod in MN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod in MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 11:42am
Hi 19856020, I made one for my snowmobiles I used a 2000lb wrench to pull it up but will not work or lift mowers
I'm thinking about trying a jet ski lift have not found a cheep used one yet I would think it would work??
Rod in MN
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 1:33pm
I think harbor freight sell a lift that lifts the front end of GT's by the tires.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 3:53pm
I put a 24' long, 6 by8 " steel beam in my garage, cross ways( left-right NOT front/rear ways. yeah , it was fun to install but the price was right....out of the dumpster and delivered for free.
Seriously it was one of the best things I've done. Yes, overkill to chain hoist a rider up to clean the decks ,get to blades, change tires... also EASY to split a D-14 !

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Toscani NE SD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toscani NE SD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 8:38pm
I use the harbor freight lift for mine for,it works great.
Rod in MN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod in MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 10:27pm
The lifts that lift the front wheels would be ok if you are shaping the blades. Still you have to get down on one knee and that is not ease with bad knees or a bad  back. You want the mower as high as your waist or higher so you do not have to bend the back much if to high stand on a block.

My lift for my snowmobiles is just right to work on carbs some times I stand on a block or I can sit and work on the track. To many years working on skid steers bent over all day and on cement. 25 years as JD service tech. was to much for one back.

Rod in MN
19856020 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19856020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 3:32pm
Rod u know exactly what I am thinking bending over working on engine or anything is making me older faster . I like the chain hoist idea,could use for other stuff too. I am thinking a mid rise car hoist, I only have 9 foot ceiling but could also use that for my trucks & car. anyone ever put a garden tractor on one,iknow it would have to be modified and expensive but could be used for lots even a workbench    thanks to all for adivce
716 917 918 1920 d17 6080
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 6:42pm
A buddy of mine many years back bought a scissor lift to work on his streetrod. He only had about a 9 or 10 ft ceiling but only needed to lift his hotrod up about 4 ft. While he was ad it, he made a couple of adapters outta' thick steel where he could bolt the adapters he made for his ATV, motorcycle, and his GT, and work on them on the lift. He was a pretty crafty dude...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 6:56pm
Harbor Freight cycle lift table works great on cycles but for mowers you might need side extensions to fit wheels - another lift for raising tractor while on lift table may need to be added,like a small floor jack they sell .  With the removable plate on these lifts changing cycle tires is easy . Watch when they are on sale as you can save quite a bit on them . 
 I use one for bike repair and son bought another for his own side of shop . 
I do use a chain hoist on overhead beam to work on the Z turn mower deck - easier lifting full tractor to almost 90 degrees and accessing mower.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 6:56pm
I bought a mower lift from HF, I love it, works great for my UTV's and my ZT mower. TSC also sells the same ones but are $30. higher priced
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic