This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Working on some Gas Tanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working on some Gas Tanks
    Posted: 28 May 2016 at 2:27pm
Been cleaning and working some dents out.
Lined few tanks this last week still working on more.

Here few pictures on a D 10 tanks that had been bent right at the seem.
Had seen on line about using slide hammer as possible way to pull it back out.
Welded a nut on a pair of Vice grips and hook to the Slide hammer.
Support on set of saw horses it moved some but not enough.
So decided to mount in the press and used a 2x8 cut it round some to fit the top of the tank and press it back into shape.

This work better. will only need minor bondo in a couple spots.

The first picture I had pulled the dent out about 1" before took the picture.

Also working on A Wd45 Diesel tank.
When trying to cleaning it some there were holes showing up in the top area.
so I took another WD tank I had drilled a new hole for the return line and removed the fitting from the old tank and Brazed it back in.
Still had to clean this other tank and line it but it was in better shape.

Drug and old John Deere bush hog that had been under tree for we figure about 20 years since the last time we used it.

Figure since I use the Farmall H to help clean up my tanks I should go ahead and do some mowing at the same time.
Had to some repairs to the Bush hog
Fix a Flat on the left side and repair the rim were the valve stem goes thru.
Used a Step bit and drilled out the hole to the size of washer and brazed it back in and then drilled the hole to the need size for the valve stem.

Also had to replace one of the Wheel bearing and seal on one left side and just repack the bearing on the other side.

Gear Box was still full of oil.
Also replaced one U joint in the drive shaft.
Makes the H talk when mowing.

Think I got this from Don,
I heated up the end of the pressure tube and bent it so I can get the sides and top of the tanks.

Before I attempt to weld on my tanks.
I use Carb cleaner in the gallon type.
put what I think it needs to start the cleaning process some times just a quarter of gallon and mount it on the tractor and put nuts/pieces of chains and drive it around some.

Then I use the Marine clean till the water comes out clean.
Then I will do what ever is need to fix the tank then use the Metal Prep to get it ready for the liner.
I use POR 15 kits on my tanks.
Monday I Lined my D 15/17 Spray rig and WD 45 Diesel, Cletrac W tank.

This weekend I will be working on Farmall H, Allis D12 and a WD gas tanks.       

Here is my Farmall H set up with the bus hog and the WD tank on for cleaning.

Sponsored Links

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 2:58pm
very nice! thanks for explaining and showing us what and how things can be done! 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 5:00pm
Good thinking with the press set up. I used my vise grip for a slide hammer all the time without welding anything to it. I have a piece of 7/16-14 threaded rod about 18 inches long with a nut welded to it. Screw it in place of the original screw, with the slide over it and go to hammering.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 10:04pm
Also had to replace the neck out of a WD gas tank it was beyond repair.
Used the one out of the old 45 diesel tank.

Also know I get to Fix a rear tire flat,
Thought this may happen was trying to be careful when mowing in this area with all the small trees, sure enough I stob the tire, when this happen had about 3 more passes to go.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 10:14pm
Richard,
 Wow you are in the tank repair business. As usual there is not much that stops you!
Nice pictures and documentation. I think You and I would get along pretty good. I am always trying to make something out of nothing or something I have laying around.
Too bad about poking a hole in your Farmall tire!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 10:29pm
yep....never mow over little trees unless your mower is wider than your tractor stance and you don't hafta go back in that field for a few years!  
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 6:52am
Get some steel wheels for that H. I also saw a M once that had a pair of those big front loader tires bolted on the side of the wheel centers.

Al
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:04am
You have a good talent. Reminds me of a fellow I know that was a welder. He could not read or write. Signed his name with an X but could read a ruler. He could take that ruler with his torch, welding machine and make anything and when he was finished it looked better than a factory job. He loved doing it as I think you do to. My hat is off to you. Great job.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:18am
Wow, excellent skills!  You've been busy!  Thanks for sharing the pics.
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
45 turboa- View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45 turboa- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 5:52pm
I just soldered in a new filler neck in my Wd45 tank went well going to paint it and I didn't want gas slashing out on my new paint.
turbocharged
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 10:55pm
[QUOTE=Richardmo] Also had to replace the neck out of a WD gas tank it was beyond repair.
Used the one out of the old 45 diesel tank.

How did you clean out the tanks so well you could weld on them? I have heard this is dangerous. A guy near me when I grew up had a tank explode on him and he almost died.
Thanks
Pastor Mike

It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 10:47am
You are doing a fine job on them old tanks, keep up the good work.
For you guys that think cleaning a tank like he has shown will not work, take it from me it's works and works good.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:48am
Mike,
On this B tank it had dent in the back side and had old gas and some rust in it.
This one I used the marine clean that comes in the kit for POR 15.
Just mix it with 50% with hot water and also use bolts and nuts, chains and mount it up the wheel of the tractor and drive it around.
Then I power wash the tank with water till it comes clean.
This one took few times to get it were it had no gas smell.
There still might be some rust, but there will be no smell in the tank.
Then I welded a nut to the top and did the best to pull the dent out.
still will need some work but it better than being pushed in about 1 1/2" half.

Should have took picture of the second B what came out of it,
Had at least 1" or more of tar in the bottom.
I spent far amount of time just power washing the Tar out before I did anything else.

Then put 1/4 of gallon of the carb cleaner in it and just letting soak for a day turn it around each way.
With the carb cleaner still in it, mount to the Farmall H wheel and put a chain in it and some cut off rebar about 1 1/2" long and let it do some work.
Looking good still needs more work but most people wood have look at that tank just threw it away.

I have been able to use the WD Gas tank bracket for D 10 series just had to make a back bracket to hold the 2 bolts.

For the B I just change the WD to the B Tank strap and used ratchet strap to hold the back side of the tank down.

Tonight decided to work on one of my fenders off 190XT high crop.
kind get away from the Gas tanks work short time.

Think they cut the fender most likely to have top over there head.
cut the bad out and fab a piece of metal to go back in.
The other fender needs the same thing done to it.

Edited by Richardmo - 03 Jun 2016 at 12:49am
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 6:56am
Fantastic work Richard!
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 8:15am
Richard, you are amazing! I wish you lived close to me! Way to go!
Pastor Mike
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 8:45pm
Made up a support for when I am painting my Gas tanks.

used a piece of rebar and welded a washer on it for stop.
Then used a piece of pipe with the correct threads to be able screw it the sediment bowl would attach.
Then welded to bigger piece of pipe and slide the rebar in it and then welded it.
Had a couple barrels one had the top cut out drilled a hole and welded piece of pipe to it for one support.
Had another one that was used for Antifreeze for the other support.
that way I new the Barrels would be safe to weld to.
When put the 190 tank on their, I had to put angles on the tube for more support.

Allis D 12 tank this is the one that was bent on the side.
One thing I did learn today was this paint called for 8-1-1
for the mix ratio.
Had to do 5-2-3/4 to make it flow.
This is Omni MAE paint.
I use epoxy primer and high build primer were needed.     
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 9:18pm
Richard, SO many good ideas!   Someday I need to learn more about metalworking and welding.  I'm always amazed what people can do when they know how to weld!  Keep up the good work and keep us updated on your projects, thanks for sharing
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Jacob (WI,ND) Jacob (WI,ND) wrote:

Richard, SO many good ideas!   Someday I need to learn more about metalworking and welding.  I'm always amazed what people can do when they know how to weld!  Keep up the good work and keep us updated on your projects, thanks for sharing

I agree 100 percent!
Mike in IOwa
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 1:20am
sure glad you are a member on this forum! great jobs!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 5:15am
I really like to see fabrication.  Very well done sir!  Good ideas on the painting too!  Thank you.
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
blazeb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 1:01pm
This is what people mean when they say that this site has a WEALTH of information, awesome job!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic