This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD3 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD3 question
    Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:30pm
I figured out its not a roller thats making my HD3 only go 1ft forwards and backwards.  It sounds like somthing in the final.  I was using the other day and it wouldnt move more then a foot eather way.  Any one have a idea what happened ? 
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:36pm
 Hope it isn't the bull gear or ? Also bearings that hold rear axel in case are a weak spot.
On HD4 I had to have both cases machined to install new bearing cups as they ate out from force of tract to case movement.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:08am
My outer axle bearing fell apart and the rollers fell into the final drive pan. There is very little room between the pan and bull gear. It picked up a roller and jammed it on the pinion gear. Fortunately I'd say that it chopped up the bearing roller instead of the pinion or bull gear. Both were marked up but not beyond being usable. Loosen up the tracks and see if one of the sprockets rocks as in no bearing left. I did question your track roller need. I just chalked it up as misunderstanding your problem. Get the whole machine off the ground with jacks, you are gonna hafta anyway, pull a steering clutch lever and spin the track with a crow bar. Both sides. If one side moves and the other side doesn't, its in that final drive. If neither side moves, it's in the rear end. Either one, drop the pan or cover and you should see the problem. Keep us informed.
1961 H3
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:39am
I picked the dozer up in the air yesterday.  I found the right side track will only only turn a littel Iam going to pull the rear cover in a day or 2. The left side works fine. 
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 4:57pm
Probably blew that side bearing. I have the part numbers if you need them. Pull the right final pan. You'll probably see your problems in the pan.

Edited by Kipn - 12 May 2010 at 5:01pm
1961 H3
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 6:00pm
next question is how hard is it to fix if thats the problem. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:12pm
Bearin isn't that big , if the case is worn , you need a good machine shop to cut out old race area and weld in a new cup to hold the race into casting. Steel machinement that is welded in.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic