This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How about an HD10?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowrosefarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How about an HD10?
    Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:45am

I've been talking to a fellow who is thinking about selling his HD10. He says everything is fine except the housing for the right track adjuster which is broken. I've never been on a crawler that old much less run one. It is still cable controlled, has a non-angle blade on it and has the 4-71 Detroit.  I'll probably go look at it this weekend, so I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions y'all might have beforehand.

Sponsored Links

kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:17pm
post some photos the folks of the page can help you.  Thair is alot to look at before you buy a old dozer.
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 12:07pm
if your referring to the track adjuster housing which holds oil and the big tension spring for the front idler then that would require disassembling the entire truck frame on that side unless it can be welded but it may not hold.  always inspect pins and bushings.  sprockets, if pointed are worn, truck wheels etc.  the left hand track is almost always worse than the right because of where the operator sits, usually the left side of blade is used most.  the truck frame is prone to breaking near the rear sprocket where the cable blade attaches outside the sprocket bearing.   HD10 is monolithic construction, meaning- clutch, tranny work requires pulling engine. 

if taken care of these machines do quite well, the one i posted pics of had 8000+ hours in 1971.  ramming and jerking into obsticles is always bad

whew... hope that helps
yellowrosefarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowrosefarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:00pm
That's great info. I'm going up tomorrow to run it. He says it takes a real man. I guess I'll find out.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowrosefarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 1:36pm
This machine is an interesting example of what can be done to keep an old crawler going on the cheap. The radiator had been replaced with one about the size of a gas Ford pickup, the grousers had rebar welded on, the sprockets had square stock added and filled with nickel rod, and a chain had been holding the track adjuster in place where the housing was broken off. It did run, move and steer but the engine sounded like it had a knock and seemed pretty underpowered. It was fun to run it and I can see where you would be pretty busy trying to work it in tight quarters! I think I'll have to pass.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowrosefarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 1:38pm
Full size shot
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 7:33am
the knock could be just a stuck injector which would account for the lack of power. those 2 cycle gm diesels were loud but pretty powerful. the adjuster looks easy but time consuming to fix. not a bad looking old machine. what was the price? i like hydraulic blades myself and it looks like this one was used for pushing scrapers with the plate welded on the blade. might be alot for a first dozer.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowrosefarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:20pm
I'm pretty sure 2000 would buy it, maybe a little less. My first crawler was an IH175B loader so I'm not totally in the dark about big iron. There is always more to learn though.
bryani289swmi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryani289swmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:28pm
     I don't think it to be that bad of a buy, lots of possible parts if you can locate another one.  If you have the room maybe flash him $1500 and park it for the time being and see what happens in the future.

Bryan

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollowpoints explode on impact.
Brad Kelley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 9:03am
The guy says he's going to scrap it on 9/25 if it doesn't sell.  $1600 is what he says the scrap value is.  I'd like to have it, but I think the necessary repairs put it out of my league.  If anybody is interested in saving it I might be able to help find/provide a place to store it until you can pick it up.  I'd hate to see it go to scrap, but I can't afford $1600 right now.

Edited by Brad Kelley - 21 Sep 2010 at 9:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic