This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD3 major engine rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD3 major engine rebuild
    Posted: 04 May 2010 at 11:04pm
The old girl needs a rebuild. I tore it down and found the head was cracked in several places but it can be pinned. The engine also began knocking fairly loud and I suspected a spun bearing or something worse.

I have most all the parts I need for the rebuild except a gasket set. I bought a crank, cam, pistons, sleeves, bearings, etc. I also picked up a fresh rebuilt head for a fair price. I'll post pictures as I complete it.

Once I'm done with the engine, the only thing left will be the pins and bushings. It's been an enjoyable project. These machines are really easy to work on; heavy but easy.

The first couple photos are of the old rod bearings. The best looking bearing was from #1 cylinder. The spun bearing was on #4.

Edited by donw - 04 May 2010 at 11:06pm
Sponsored Links

Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 2:01pm

I got $200 in the head. $200 in the crank and $400 in parts for the motor. Another $600 into steering clutches, brake bands, gaskets, gauges, seals, bolts and paint. Waiting for the welder to show up for a few minor spots. Then I can finish putting it back together and see how I did. Gee, it's only been 3 years now.

1961 H3
donw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 6:11pm
I haven't been able to use mine for almost 2 months now and am way behind on my landscaping chores. I can imagine how excited you must be after waiting 3 years!
Don
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 7:46pm

That will be next years project for my HD3   Iam still looking for a good roller if you find someone parting one out. 

160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
steve aust View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve aust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 4:38am
Buda / Allis engines need to be warmed up at 1/4  - 1/2 throttle before working hard and also let them idle/cool down for a few minutes before shutting them down shouldnt have any problems with heads cracking and are pretty reliable engines . steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic