This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

working on the L3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakwoodsfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: working on the L3
    Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 5:32pm
When I was cutting beans this fall, I noticed that a LOT of clean beans was being returned. I tried everything I could think of. I was told the pan under the sieve had a hole in it. Tore it apart today and no hole in the pan or screen the pan covers. Maybe I wasn't going fast enough? It was very short beans at about 15bpa. Someone mentioned something about the single v-belt slipping on the fan, can that cause it?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 5:40pm
A lot of clean beans in the return elevator and no losses out the back of the combine??? Lower sieve is closed too far.
bakwoodsfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakwoodsfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 5:51pm
No losses out the back, I tried to open the sieve, up the air, slow the air, and speed travel, but nothing helped. And I mean massive amount of beans being returned. But it did seem that when I hit a good spot it would not return as much.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 6:09pm
Set the top sieve (chaffer) to 1/2" opening using a 1/2" bolt as a gauge. You must use the 1 1/8" short finger chaffer for beans. The lower sieve to 3/8" is a good place to start. Fan on 4 to 5. Pull out lower cleaning shoe blanks to let fine and weed seed fall thru and to be sure they haven't slid forward blocking the augers. With 15 bushel beans you should have been driving 4 mph or more with a 15 foot head. if the beans were fit to harvest. Make sure cleaning fan belt is in good condition and TIGHT with the spring....move spring hole forward for more belt tension.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakwoodsfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 6:17pm
that is about what I started the season with no problems, but the last 60 acres the problem started. driving 2.5-3mph with 322 head. I have always just left the blank in place and it is screwed down. The spring is in the front most position for the fan belt and it don't look burnt or glazed. I just cant wrap my head around this
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 9:02pm
Open the fan up to where the trash is in the air not on sieve.   MACK
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:55pm
L3's had an adjustable tailing end on the top chaffer - it should be set no more open than the rest of the louvers. We usually tied the back to the main and made the FRONT 6 louvers adjustable. We had an L3 with the same issue, the customer had the rear too open and the fan was coated in the cups of the blades on one side causing no air to 1/2 the shoe side.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:55pm
The only way beans can get to the return is off the back of the sieve or chaffer. When you shut down,crack the sieve open a little more and listen for beans falling through.You should be able to throw a handful of beans in the back and have then emmedietly fall through both screens.My F2 fan is always on 7 for corn and beans but I also have the first 8 rows of chaffer open more than mid section.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 7:37am
tbran is right about the fan. If there has been a oil leak, the fan can pull a small amount of oil in then with dust, you have a problem. The chute below the fan can also collect dirt causing a air problem.   MACK
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakwoodsfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 8:07am
the fan is clean, checked that first. now that I have the chaffer out I will try to make the front rows adjustable. Thanks to all.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 8:37am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

.You should be able to throw a handful of beans in the back and have then emmedietly fall through both screens.

Should they all fall through? I'm thinking some would fall, but the shaking of the shoe would help.
wheatbreeder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheatbreeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 9:07am
is the engine running at high idle speed under full load I spent a season harvesting soybeans plugging the back end because  insufficient air i had been adjusting the idle that winter and and the engine was not running full out 100 rpm makes a big difference 
Farm stuff 8050,6690,175,F2,5050,WD
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

.You should be able to throw a handful of beans in the back and have then emmedietly fall through both screens.

Should they all fall through? I'm thinking some would fall, but the shaking of the shoe would help.

My experience,yours may vary....beans that don't all fall through will put more in the return.I would have less trash with it pinched more but the elevator doesn't complain or dock and it's never as bad as it looks anyway.Don't forget that you can have the top open too much and overload the bottom with MOG.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 5:04pm
MOG...that's Material Other than Grain, correct?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakwoodsfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 5:25pm
maybe that is my problem, chaffer open to much. As the problem emerged I think I was opening the chaffer up more trying to get more air through. I have always set my sieve by throwing some beans in and opening it till they fall through. But I have not threw them on top of the chaffer and opened both till they fall through.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 10:42pm
Yer gonna want the chaffer more open than just letting them through.Like Doc says 1/2in is good starting point.If top is correct you don't have to worry about beans catching up there when you toss em in.MOG is supposed to float while heavier seed drops through.Too wide lets Mog down below.In theory, unthreshed pods should drop through and ride off sieve to return for re-threshing.

I don't claim to be an expert and only farmed this 80 for 33 years with Gleaner conventionals but I have always had some beans in the return no matter what I did. I have concluded that 10 + - beans in a quick hand grab from the return window is normal.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 17 Jan 2016 at 10:54pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakwoodsfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 5:04am
that makes sense, when I said beans returning I mean it, very little mog ALL beans. It looked like the bin fill auger and return auger got switched.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic