This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ridiculous price story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ridiculous price story
    Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 8:11pm
Been repairing my steering clutches (actually replacing them) on my Allis HD6G with the good help and advice of John at General Gear and Machine (who I highly recommend). His prices are fair and reasonable. After about a zillion hours of work installing the new ones (those of you who have experienced this know what I mean) I realize I need 2 washers for the brake band adjusting bolt on each side (part #079229). Called the dealer and the washers are available. The washer (yes, just a washer) was priced at $72.06 each. I almost fell off my chair. Needless to say, I'm making my own. I also know why there is still stock available.
Sponsored Links

Osage_Orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osage_Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 7:53pm
Yeah, I had a similar experience with a bolt.  Was going to drill it to make a grease fitting for the rollers on my HD5G. It was in mm, about 3 in long, and an odd size.  Found one at a local farm equipment dealer.  Went to pick it up and they said price was $17 (plus or minus).  I looked at the seller like "do I really look that stupid?" and left.  Later found one at a heavy equipment dealer for $3 (plus or minus).  FWIW............O_O
Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but always time to go back and fix it?
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 8:38pm
That's just like the WD45 hand clutch bushings that AGCO wanted $33 EACH for (takes 2).  Went to McMaster-Carr and got a single longer bushing, will cut it in half for like $2.48 or something each.  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:40am
Local Toro dealer(1mile away) wants $500(+13% taxes) for the water pump(10 day delivery) of my 217-D lawn mower(17HP Mitzy diesel). I've ordered one from down south(Georgia) for $110,shipping included.
Heck, I can buy my passport,drive to Buffalo,buy a return ticket to Georgia,fly there,buy part and come back, in one day for less than the $500 !!!
Some dayze I just shake my head.....
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 7:55am
Few yeas back i bought a gearbox for my Arens mower deck, lasted 4 hours of mowing and siezes up , broke gearbox, and ripped it out of deck housing.
 Went back to dealer i bought it from and he would not warranty it, asked for his suppliers name so i could take it up with him. Very reluctant to pass on info. Anyway got it and went to see them , when they seen the invoice for gearbox, it was double price of what it was suppose to be. Dealer had marked it up 100% plus added $40.00 shipping .
 Supplier ended up selling me full new mower deck with new gearbox for $150 more than i paid for gearbox alone. Warranty covered all but that $150 charge.
 Also when i bought bull gear and pinion gear for HD4, found one dealer that wanted list price + 30% more than dealer recommended book cost. Then wanted $30 shipping.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic