This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

~year,model and rear rim problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ~year,model and rear rim problem
    Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 1:47pm
I read that the best way to figure out year/model information is from a plate on the left hand side by the clutch. If this is correct I do not see one. If it is truly missing can someone help me out with a guess? I am new to these and have no idea.

Also the left rear rim is sliding back and forth a few inches independent from the hub. It seems to be adjustable for axle width(?) and the locks are not holding properly. It was suggested to me that I should just weld these locks in place permanently. Is that O.K. to do, or should I try to purchase replacement parts?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 3:07pm
James first off let me say welcome to the group. The serial number is located on the bell housing where the motor mounts to the torque tube on the torque tube side. There is a section in here will explain how to read the serial number.   
That is a photo of mine. It is hard to see because it is behind your loader frame.
As you have the power adjust rims. They have an cam lock bolt on to lock the rim to the slides. I wouldn't weld then if the lock bolts need to be replaced i am sure they can be purchased from a salvage yard. I see you are in New England.   I am in New Hampshire myself and have a set of 14.9 24 non adjustable rims i would trade for you adjustable rims if you don't want the adjustable rims. You can pm me if you want to know more about the rims I have.
JamesG View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 5:13pm
Thanks Dan. Now I know where to look. Unfortunately the previous owner welded the cams to the slides on the other side. I knew there must be a better way to fix this. I will look for some replacement lock bolts.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 5:22pm
Wangers is a good supply of used parts here on the east coast. This might e the part you are looking for.
http://www.wengers.com/parts/Farm-Tractor-Parts-Appendix/Allis-Chalmers/D15/D15/REAR-WHEELS/component.htm

You could also look up parts on agco parts and order new from new boston truck and equipment in new boston new hampshire or there is a supplier page here which has some really good sources.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:29pm
I thinks it's an I-60, diesel with shuttle clutch.   Rim clamps can be removed, freed up, and reassembled one at a time.  Take the one off the top of wheel, it won't have the weight of the tractor on it.  When you get it moving, and dis-assembled(Snap ring at back side) , coat it with never seize compound.  Takes a bout an hour per clamp.

Do NOT weld on a rim, with the tire on it, see video below.  vvv

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/uScd7nFzfQE[/TUBE]
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 9:28pm
Actually you have D-15 Series I industrial tractor. I-60 came later and had a hard front and was the industrial version of the D-15 Series II.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 9:34pm
Looking at the one pic of your rim lock, your wheel is moving because the lock is UNLOCKED.  Tighten all 4 of them by turning them to the right.  It takes quite a bit of effort!
The "lip" needs to be touching the right side of the wheel clamp.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 8:23am
Serial number indicates a D-15 Industrial.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
JamesG View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:34am
Yes, two out of the 4 rim locks were in the unlock position. I locked them, however one must be worn out because it does not seem to tighten up properly.
Does anyone know if this is the correct part for the cam bolt  ACS281 (Eccentric Bolt) and part #RR83899 (Eccentric Pin block)? I will be able to tell better when I take it apart.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by JamesG JamesG wrote:

Yes, two out of the 4 rim locks were in the unlock position. I locked them, however one must be worn out because it does not seem to tighten up properly.
Does anyone know if this is the correct part for the cam bolt  ACS281 (Eccentric Bolt) and part #RR83899 (Eccentric Pin block)? I will be able to tell better when I take it apart.

Look carefully at the really loose one, is the rail slider actually there?  If it is there, you might be able to shim it to tighten, by using a broken off hacksaw blade or 2...
JamesG View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:54pm
Yes, the slider is there, it just seems a little sloppy like the cam bolt is worn or the slider is worn. I will try your shim idea, thanks.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 6:23pm
Weakest point is generally the rail.  Sometimes you can tighten up, by moving the wheel in or out, to get the clamp off the worn spot...
JamesG View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:24pm
Yes! I thought of changing position on the rail last night, but have not tried it yet to see if it will tighten up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic