This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

645 serial number

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1941jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 645 serial number
    Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 11:14pm
Can anyone tell me info on my 645 serial number 1311
year where built ? Starting serial numbers

Edited by 1941jim - 23 Mar 2015 at 11:26pm
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 5:41am
If it's a 645(not a645B), 3012 were made, between 1965-1971.  Middle of the run...
1941jim View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1941jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 7:04am
Thank you we have had this since 1976 always wondered what year it was. It's got 80,000 plus hrs. And still going
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 1:23am
According to my serial # book your 645 would be a 1965. Starting # for 1966 was 1318.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
1941jim View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1941jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 5:23am
What was the serial range for 65 if you have time thank you
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 7:54am
1965 was from 101-1317. 101 was the starting serial #.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 6:50pm
The 80000 hrs is outstanding!! In your ownership how often has the engine been overhauled...transmission & diffs etc. Considering investment cost per hour of use ... simply amazing!! 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
1941jim View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1941jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 9:17pm
Never had the differentials apart, rear finals have been broke 4 or 5 times from operator error due to getting front wheels off the ground with full power and blows the cage on the ground. Every 8 to 9 years the engine was majored, the tranny we put two sprague assemblies in it and 2 converters, the high gear drum would break the nose off on the cover 3 or 4 times. Put a new hydrolic pump on it in 1979 just had it apart for a new input seal and the hyd. Shop said it looked better than a new one. The drive shaft splines went out once on the power steering pump, replaced and never put the seal back in so tranny oil would oil it ,still going. She could use a new set of lift barrels and rods as they cracked by the trunnions mounts and have been welded lots. The cylinders have been rebuilt in 1980 and in 1991. Center bearings 2 times, the driveshaft in the middle with the ball drive system has been new 4 times. The bucket has had been rebuilt twice with new sides floor and frog as it would get thin between the teeth. That's where I learned to stick weld ,my dad set it up and put a can of 7018 in the bucket and weld the top two sticks then move down two feet and do it again then go under and get the bottom then let it cool while chipping sl*g then hit the next spot till you burned up 120 pds. Of rod. The last five years it's been a stand by and not doing much light sight work and loading trucks. We used to do road work and her record was 4000 ton in 15 hrs loading out of a stock pile. The state guys could not believe that old loader never missed a load. It was a load ever 3 min. For 15 or 16 hrs. It took 45 gal. Of fuel and the hyd. Valve under your arm was so hot it would sizzle if you spit on it. It ran years longed with less problems than 745 c the 11000 series had head issues and ran hotter with the oil cooler and more engine trying to get rid of the heat. Wish could buy both new again , they would still give the other companies a run for the money. At the time we would put them in pits with cat,Michigans, and the Green noise makers and move more tons. Lots of long days but it was when you and a crew were happy doing a job. Now crews just want 5 hr days and high wages and new equipment or they can't run it. Oh and don't forget about texting and whining. So back to what it owes us, not much for a 18,000$ purchase .

Edited by 1941jim - 29 Mar 2015 at 9:25pm
1941jim View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1941jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 9:21pm
They built 100 a month? Wow
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 1:05am
Thanks for taking the time to share the details of service history - very interesting! Thirty-nine years since you bought it!! The 745 loader I had was owned by the city works yard and I don't know the true hours on it but it was 18 years old when I bought it. I had it and used it for 6 years and aside from batteries, filters, oil and grease I don't think I spent as much as $50 on parts, I was very pleased.
In the mid sixties when A-C designed and built these machines I don't believe any competitor had as quick a loading cycle as these 545, 645 and 745's had. I was living in Sweden at the time when these machines were new. They became so well liked there that they kept rebuilding them over the decades. When Fiat-Allis stopped building them... a while later a company in Sweden started building loaders with the same design...I guess there was no chance of being caught stealing a patent at that point. These new loaders in Sweden go by the brand name "Ljungby" from the name of the city of origin over there. These machines were equipped with Volvo diesels. Once Volvo realized the competition these loaders were bringing to their own Volvo loaders they refused to sell them engines. For some time Ljungby had to buy used Volvo engines and rebuild them to keep the production going. I understand they put Mercedes diesels in some of them now. My cousin over there updates me a bit from time to time. These loaders run up high hours and retain high resale prices. I'll include one you tube link, if it's not live just copy and paste it. You'll see the close resemblance to the Allis loaders all these years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zdrRUbrRLE 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:17am
[TUBE]4zdrRUbrRLE[/TUBE]
1941jim View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1941jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 8:02am
It was a very thought out design. 45* bending was huge gain. They still run a 2 speed forward? And also the people you meet over a 50 year old loader commenting from all over. That loader I would take they have about the same sound also.

Edited by 1941jim - 30 Mar 2015 at 8:07am
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:35pm
Thanks Dave for putting life to that you tube clip...you're a genius in my books!! If you were here I would get you to teach me some more stuff LOL!
Tim, I don't know too many details on specifications  on these A-C copy machines...would be interesting to know though. If I find out more I could post the info. The way the original loaders keep being refurbished is a lot like the old American cars keep on running in Cuba :)
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:10pm
Youtubes are pretty easy (otherwise I couldn't do it, LOL)  Go to youtube, hit share, and the address pops up highlighted in blue.  Hit copy, and you copy it.  Now to post, hit reply, lower left of this forum. A black box pops up, with a bunch of symbols, in the top line, and Font, size, bold, italics, etc .  Above the slanted I for italics, is a icon for a film strip, hit that, and another box pops up.  It will have an address line at the top, separate. Click once there, and your cursor will be in the left hand side of the box. Go to the edit button, on your browser, and click, drop down to paste, and click there. the youtube address should be in the box now.  If it has https: www dot whatever, delete the s, before the colon. to see if it works, hit the preview box.  If all is ok, hit submit, at the bottom.  If I can do it on an apple Imac, running chrome, I'm sure you can figger it out, I have faith in youWink
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:23pm
I owned a 645 loader and it was very reliable and gave good service! A Friend of mine with an Aggregate business in Minnesota that He and His Brother inherited from their Father and Grandfather had a 545 that their Father had bought new back in the 1960's! I was with them when He went down to Minneapolis to the AC Dealer to buy it! They used it up until just a few years ago and it had been rebuilt a couple of times! The transmissions were almost all Allison or Twin Disc so parts were not an issue! The scrap/junk Dealers here in Southern California used them almost exclusively and the tight turn radius and quick cycle made them desirable right up to the point where parts availability made it impractical to continue! Great Machines... Interesting info on the Swedish connection!
1941jim View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1941jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:38pm
Hey now that we have the 645 out of the way I'm looking for a td24 if anyone happens to have one
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Youtubes are pretty easy (otherwise I couldn't do it, LOL)  Go to youtube, hit share, and the address pops up highlighted in blue.  Hit copy, and you copy it.  Now to post, hit reply, lower left of this forum. A black box pops up, with a bunch of symbols, in the top line, and Font, size, bold, italics, etc .  Above the slanted I for italics, is a icon for a film strip, hit that, and another box pops up.  It will have an address line at the top, separate. Click once there, and your cursor will be in the left hand side of the box. Go to the edit button, on your browser, and click, drop down to paste, and click there. the youtube address should be in the box now.  If it has https: www dot whatever, delete the s, before the colon. to see if it works, hit the preview box.  If all is ok, hit submit, at the bottom.  If I can do it on an apple Imac, running chrome, I'm sure you can figger it out, I have faith in youWink
Awesome!!! This will save me going back to school! What you've explained to me should really be somewhere easy to find on the forum (maybe it is and I haven't come across it).Thanks again Dave! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic