This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

\WC vs WD45 cam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: \WC vs WD45 cam
    Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 5:12am
Is there any difference between a WC and a WD45 cam shaft? If they are interchangeable is there any power advantage gained with the WD45? I'll be running a WC block with a WD45 crankshaft, standard pistons (315/16), a WD45 head, and a carb that has been opened up about .003. I'll have to pull in the antique class which is 2.5 MPH/1st gear.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 6:47am
Camshaft grinds are the same regardless of which style cam it is. Oldest cams the gear bolted on with three bolts. Newer cams the gear pressed on. Grinds are identical between the two.
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 9:24am
What Doc says...When I dropped a 45 crank into my WC I used the cam out of the 45 also because the gears had worn in together and I like the pressed on gear. I also swapped in the distributor off the WD45 so all three gears are a matched set. BTW even the D17 cam profile is the same as the WC. Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:02pm
I've been told by A old Allis mechanic, that there was A change in the rocker arm ratio on the WC's, back in the 1930's .  
David Terry View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 5:23pm
Thanks, My cam is not the mate to the crank, so I'll have to judge between the WC cam and the 45 and see which one is worn least. I do like the idea of a pressed on gear.

Thanks again, Dave
mike a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 11:33pm
have your cam ground to 175 specs
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 9:41pm
The rocker arm ratio and camshaft grind was always the same from the oldest WC engine thru the One-Seventy engines. The older WC engines did have a forged rocker arm with a brass bushing in it, but there was never a different ratio regardless of what some old A-C mechanic said. Look in the parts books AGCO Parts.com.
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:36am
I have some roller rockers off an old wc and they are the same ratio. I have cut the push rod side down on the pressed steel ones to make them higher lift gained .080 at the valve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic