This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New here with a 653 :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
scooter01922 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here with a 653 :-)
    Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 8:49pm
Hello all, new member here cause i just picked up a nice little 653 a few weeks back.
I have been reading all i can around here ( i think i have read damn near everything back to page 42 so far...) but, hey its cold and ridiculously snowy outside so what else can i do. Its a good thing i grabbed it when i did, we just passed the 100 inches of snow mark so looking at the UC would have been real tough if i waited. Anyway, it runs well and is generally quite nice. Needs new brake bands as they are worn to nothing and as a result the steering clutches are also stuck. Not sure how bad, i guess new brakes and a workout to see. Its been sitting several years with periodic starts and a drive back and forth to keep everything moving. Its too bad the lack of brakes made keeping the clutches free impossible. I shall need to fix the track adjuster on the left side as well, it went out and they welded a shim in there to finish the job. The final seems to weep a little oil on that side as well, not a major leak but something i'll see about fixing. Need to get the service book and see how big a job that is. Overall a very nice little bugger at a price i can't complain about. Now if only the snow would leave so i can have this thing dropped off and start to get her ready for some fun time.

Edited by scooter01922 - 16 Feb 2015 at 8:52pm
Sponsored Links

albatros_3 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albatros_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 8:57pm
Congrats and welcome! That is one nice looking machine!

I wished mine looked that nice. I picked up a 653 this last summer and it needs new steering clutches and brakes. I need to finish rebuilding the steering clutches, but it's just been too cold to work out in the barn. Mine were pretty tough to get out as it seemed every pin was seized since it was sitting for a few years and water got into the housings. Once it warms up, I'll finish the clutches, change some hoses and give it a coat of paint.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:13pm
"I have been reading all i can around here ( i think i have read damn near everything back to page 42 so far...) but, hey its cold and ridiculously snowy outside so what else can i do. Its a good thing i grabbed it when i did, we just passed the 100 inches of snow mark " Well, you could be pushing snow instead of reading in the warmth of the inside... LOL
  Glad you found your way on here...and we like pictures...
 Need any info, just ask...  
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:18pm
REALLY NICE LOOKING UNIT. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:29pm
Hi albatross, this isn't my first time with steering clutches. I have a IH 500C tracked loader sitting in the driveway under a tarp because i didn't get the clutches back in before snow flew. Its about the same setup as the 653 and it was certainly fun as one of them was sitting in 6 inches of water. Those clutches are back together, just awaiting the thaw for reinstall. Well JC, i have certainly been giving my old JD 400 backhoe a heck of a workout on the banks. Have them piled about as far as i can go up and pushed as far back as one can on an old 2wd tractor. I will certainly say the old gal does a good job though. With the darned wind we seem to have constantly its a battle to stay outdoors very long. I think mother nature got our weather mixed up with someplace arctic... Oh, and thanks for the compliments, she really is a good looking unit. I shall share lots and lots more pics once she gets home.

Edited by scooter01922 - 16 Feb 2015 at 9:30pm
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:34pm
That has a UniTool cage on it. Those are pretty neat. I have one I modified , as the mounts aren't the best for pushing trees. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:40pm
Interesting, i have seen pics with 2 styles of cage. I'm just glad it has something on there. My current dozer is a T340 international and it has nothing. Thats finding a new home and this is the upgrade :-)
kinghunter View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 10:08pm
can i ask what one of them weigh? i would like to get a dozer with a 6 way blade someday. 
would like to keep around same size as my hd6 or anything smaller then a hd10 but has to be allis.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 1:06am
Nice looking machine, too bad it wasn't ready to go before the your area began to look like the Arctic.  I see it was in the 30's (above) in Fairbanks, AK today!   Good luck on your project and welcome to the forum!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:44am
King, the book says it should be about 12K as it sits. You can't find much in a newer-ish machine under the 10K mark. Various things can be had with the 6 way but without any kind of cage just below if you look into something in the 60's. My t340 is about 9K with no cage and was the smallest dozer IH made. In allis, it looks like the 653 is the way to go for small and newish. On a side note, 30's would have been nice the last few days. Highs just barely edging into the teens with brutal winds and lows of -5 or so at night. I think today we might hit 20......
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 3:44pm
One quick question while i wait for the service book to show up. Is the track adjuster rebuild procedure on these about the same as any small crawler? I (thankfully) haven't had to rebuild one yet but from reading on other small crawlers its pretty straightforward and cheap to accomplish. I'm hoping its the same case with these.
B52FXR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B52FXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 9:35pm
I just purchased a 653 and have no idea where to begin.......... I have to put a new injector pump on it because it is missing.........I can jump the soleonoid on the starter but wont turn over with the key. I am mechanically inlined but I don't know anything about these dozers at all.........but I SOOOOOOOO want to learn. Have owned a WD, 220 landhandler, D-17, 185, and now this 653. Any advise or help will always be appreciated. God bless to all here in the forum.
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 10:08pm
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 7:33am
I bought an h4 last year. basically the same as the 653. From experience the 1st thing I would do is check the final drives for oil. I had to replace my left side. not cheap and not to hard to do. I replaced my brake bands and had to pull both steering clutches. Just have to remove quit a bit of stuff to get to them. I had to take both track adjusters to the machine shop to get them freed up and they chased the threads so there good and free now. I had to remove my tracks to get the adjusters out. Randall and coke here on the forum can help you a lot as they both are very good on these. Good luck and just ask questions here on the forum as people will try to help you. norm in missouri
B52FXR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B52FXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 10:24am
I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me the part # straight off the fuel injection pump on your 653 dozer. Mine is missing and the 7402-3200 pump # Allis Chalmers list does not help me with injection pump sites. Thank you and your dozer looks nice. I have  to get mine running before anything else, but I want to see it up and going. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 11:07am
Should be a safety switch in the starter circuit so it will not start in gear - was missing on my HD4 and a few times when forgetting to shift to neutral a lurch forward was felt. 
 Rear seal on finals is a easy fix , well almost as axle is held in with clip on inside rear of housing . Look at speedy sleeve and lip seal to replace worn area , I bought a welded up axle to replace one i broke - bad choice as i broke 2 more ones that had been welded up for repair or worn seal surface . 
 Only problem on doing clutches is getting the spring clip on axle out of detent that holds it in place - use a wire looped on axle so when pushing it into shaft you can fish it out easily . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by B52FXR B52FXR wrote:

I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me the part # straight off the fuel injection pump on your 653 dozer. Mine is missing and the 7402-3200 pump # Allis Chalmers list does not help me with injection pump sites. Thank you and your dozer looks nice. I have  to get mine running before anything else, but I want to see it up and going. 

My 653 won't be home till friday, just got the snow melted back far enough to have a place to put it. Then i'll gladly get you the info, the pump is a fresh rebuild and nice and clean so should be easy to read.
B52FXR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B52FXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:08pm
Thank you so much...................I am VERY anxious to here it just sit there and run. Again thank you soooooo much. Have a great week and God bless!!!!!!!!!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 5:06pm
Just a FYI, looks like its going to be more like saturday before the machine gets home. Started a new job this week and its BUSY, putting in 10 hours a day at the moment and utterly worn out but happy i'm getting paid. Once its home i'll post that info.
B52FXR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B52FXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 8:28pm
No problem at all. I am thankful to have a site like this and other folks that are willing to help each other out with these kinds of things. I am looking forward to hear it run and push a little dirt.............maybe make a small pond on my place. I dug my currnent pond with an Allis Chalmers 220 landhandler and an 8 ft. Waldon blade. I think a dozer would do wondermous!!! 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:43pm
Ok B52FXR another delay.... by the time i got it safely stowed away i didn't have time to remove the side covers someone was kind enough to make the dozer at some point in its history. I can see the injection pump but without pulling that cover can't see any numbers. Not sure if i will have the time to get over there monday or not, might be all the way till wed before that happens. For everyone else, i did drive it briefly to get it parked (not that its too adventurous when it won't steer) the brakes do still have some bite to them. Will seriously slow it down and make it labor a bit so those are not as toasty as i initially thought. The steering levers have almost no resistance whatsoever and that seems suspect. The plugs in the bottom of the clutch housings are in place so thats no good, a good indicator things are probably rusted up well in there. Fortunately i do have someplace i can pull it in and work under cover once i pull the cage off it. Then i can take some bits off and see what i find.
B52FXR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B52FXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:49pm
No problem. I can wait. I have a few other projects to keep me employed until I get that P/N and then I can change my priorities. Thank you again. I do appreciate it very much.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:09pm
Thanks for being patient. For what its worth the guy i bought the dozer from had sent the pump out for rebuild several years back and remembered it being a roosa master pump just like the one on his case 580 backhoe. I know they make a lot of pumps and i'm sure they all look similar but if it really is the same as one for a case backhoe you should have an easy time finding one.
B52FXR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B52FXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 7:00am
I got the pump # straight off a pump and it is DBGFC 433-1JN. Thank you for your time. Hope to talk more in the future on these projects. 
B52FXR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B52FXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 9:42pm
UPDATE ON MY 1975 ALLIS CHALMERS 653 Dozer.
Recieved my Injector pump From Esterville Iowa a 3 weeks ago................and am awaiting my injectors......................should be tomorrow or Thursday. I have to flush the fuel system and put it all together and try to get the timing correct. I ordered my book and have been brushing up on injector pump timing ................just looking for a parts source now for the water pump, muffler, decals.................little things here and there. I do need to replace the seat and arm rests. ALot of rain.........but now.........it has turned out to be beautiful for the next 2 weeks.................I can get some more done.
B52FXR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B52FXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 6:28am
I now have my Injector pump, injectors, and main fuel lines for my 653 Dozer. All of them were cleaned and rebuilt by Central Fuel Injection in Esterville, Iowa. Thanks A Million Dave!!!!!!! They were very thorough and expeditiouis. (800) 548-9464  
B52FXR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B52FXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 10:47pm
I have her running..................... smokes like a freight train but she is running. I have to see if I need to time her...............or if I overlooked the crush washers in the head where the injectors are located. I was told that sometimes they are stuck down in the hole. Thank you all who have helped me with putting her together. More to come.
B52FXR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B52FXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:42pm
Reset the timing on the injector pump runs better but still a little rich. Only steers with the right break.................left one is very stiff and the whole machine stops when i push down on the left break. Final drive clutches on the right side weak???? Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am so proud of her. My wife calls her THE MINION! Thanks again in advance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic