Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garden seeder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garden seeder
    Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:13pm
Any of you guys have an opinion on garden seeder? Id really like a planet jr I though I had one bought this summer but the guy backed out on me. There not common around here most of them I find shipping will cost more than the planter. So iv been looking at new ones the ones iv found are little plastic things that don't look very sturdy. But I have found a pretty decent looking one made by hoss tools that will fit on my planet jr push plow, but I'd really like to here some from someone that has used them.
     Thanks Wil
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:21pm
I don't own one,but the Hoss look real well made. I have a plastic and aluminum one works pretty good.
Liberals should know this by now. Voting for Obama the first time was ignorant, voting for him the second time was just stupid.
Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:54pm
Earth way are the ones Iv seen iv watch YouTube reviews on both it seams to me like the earth way you have to hold everything just right to get it to work. But it almost half the price too. I'm cheap so I like that but iv also go myself into stuff I was less than happy with by being to cheap.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:59pm
I have an Earthway. It's plastic and alumanum I've used it for more than ten years. It came with Six seed plates and does a good job of planting. The seed bed needs to be pretty smooth for the side marker. It'll plant in as rough a garden as you can push it through. I don't have the fertilizer side dresser but have been thinking of getting one. My daughter has been planting with it since she was 10. I'm happy with it and it's about $40 Cheeper now than when I got mine.a planet Jr. Is heavier and better but I couldn't find one a a price I could afford.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:10pm
It takes me 10 minutes to put 10 50' rows of corn in every year and it usually skips about 5 seeds in the whole plot. Fleet farm had the Earthway planters for $89 when I was there last summer.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:24pm
5   One row allischalmers corn planters listed on EBay seller sweetfarmequipment. Free shipping only $685 each. I'll keep using my cheep plastic one.
Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

It takes me 10 minutes to put 10 50' rows of corn in every year and it usually skips about 5 seeds in the whole plot. Fleet farm had the Earthway planters for $89 when I was there last summer.

That what I'm finding about the planet jr too. I just recently found out too that a 300 or a 300a was the better of the planet jr too wich iv not been able to find at all. The hoss planter has a heavier looking frame but all the seed handling parts are plastic too so it make me think that part of the hoss and earth way are pretty neck and neck.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:32pm
I have an Earth Way planter, but I would like a Hoss unit. 
My Earth Way is decent, but if the soil it too soft, the wheels sink in. If it's too hard, the drive wheel (being in front it doesn't have much weight on it) will either slide or the trench opener won't dig in deep enough. Consequently it will drop the seeds too shallow, and usually the covering chain and press wheel doesn't do a good job of covering it up. 
If the drive wheel was the rear wheel, I think many problems would be solved. The way it is designed, to put pressure on the drive wheel, you have to sort of tip the planter forward, thus taking pressure of the press wheel. 
The Earth Way comes with a kickstand to hold it upright when not in use, but from my experience, unless it's a perfectly flat surface with no breeze, it doesn't work very well. 
Also...you can't ever empty the hopper when seeding with an Earth Way, unlike the Hoss units. 

If I could go back in time and start over, I'd spend the extra money get a "heirloom quality" Hoss. Either the seeder attachment or (probably) the garden seeder (stand alone unit).
1942 B, 1948 G, two 1950 All-Crop 60As, 1958 All-Crop Super 100, 1975 860 Cotton Stripper
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 5:02am

Looks pretty sturdy, compared to  the earthway...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic