This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front End Loaders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front End Loaders
    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:50am
Ladies and Gentlemen I got the horrible news yesterday that one of my friends had died while using a front end loader.  I cannot tell you the memories it brought back to me.  
I can immediately remember four very valued friends and customers who died when I was still in the business - prior 1962 - with front end loader accidents.  I thought with the advent of Roll Over Protection Systems (ROPS) that this accident had been eliminated.  
To all my fellow forum members please when using a front end loader or similar implement please be VERY CAREFUL  Remember your basic front end loader actions - as the lift goes up the center of gravity rises too.  A chuck hole can roll a tractor.  If you have the ROPS system be certain it is properly used.
I do not want to lose any more of my valued friends.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:13pm
sorry to hear about your friend Bill. prayers to their family. you are so right about the loaders, and I still see some being used on the tricycle front ended tractors...I just cringe...since most of them belong to the city bots that grace our countryside. we're just waiting to see the emergency vehicles going to their places. wide front ends are better, but as bill says, they are/can be just as dangerous if not operated properly! ya'll stay safe!
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:49pm
I was at a Deere Dealership and noted the smaller and larger tractors with front end loaders and NO ROPS.  Don't we ever learn.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:24pm
Bill, so sorry for your loss! God Bless! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:47pm
Sorry to hear about your friend Bill.  How old was he?  Just because we've been doing it forever, we all still seem to get lax and forget about the hidden dangers of operating these machines.  We are all guilty of it and until we really sit and think about what we are doing, accidents are going to continue to happen.
Yes, everyone, be careful out there and think before you do something dangerous and especially something new to you.  It only takes a split second.
Prayers go out to the family and friends and you Bill.  Like you say, we don't need to lose any more valued friends or family.
Be safe, not sorry.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:13pm
The physics of operating machinery gets very complicated, very fast, and we do it so often that in short order, the machine becomes an extension of our bodies.  We then focus more and more on the task we're doing, and forget the little gotchas that can turn really bad.

The scary scenario which I recall... but fortunately turned out okay due to quick thinking... was a guy operating a skid-steer, fully enclosed, on a jobsite across the street from my training location in downtown Boston.   There was a hole on the site that had about 6 feet of water in it.  The hole was apparently undermined a bit on one side, He got a bit too close to the edge while backing and turning, ground collapsed and tumbled off the ledge, down into the water.  the two side tires were visible, the rest (including the cab) was under.

Quick thinking of a crane operator with a free hook, swung over, and one of the others jumped in, hooked a hard part, and hoisted the machine up, laid it on it's side... they broke the window, let the water out, and he was thankfully still alive.  Took a while to get it righted, and the boom down to open the door, but alive.

Had it had an 'open' ROPS, there was a chance he could have been able to slip out from the side.  With NO ROPS, it would probably have pinned him.  With the glass, the cab filled slowly enough that he had a chance to take a deep breath, and his co-workers were fast in responding.

The really serious concern for agricultural accidents nowdays, is that so much farm work, being mechanized, occurs by a farmer all by himself.  This obviously means there's nobody else around to get hurt by a running machine, but it also means that if something goes wrong, the operator might not have a sight-line to appearing problems, and worse yet, if something goes wrong, there's nobody to jump in and help.

When I hear about these accidents, I look around me and see old tractor guys, that if they were to have some simple little problem... pants snagged on a sharp corner, boot sole stuck alongside a pedal... and they wound up dumped over against an embankment, they'd be alive, but how long 'till someone found them?

We can't eliminate danger, we just hafta do the best we can to see it before it happens... and plan for things to go wrong... and be careful.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
ksbowman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:54pm
I was an Ironworker superintendent in my earlier life and during safety meetings every Monday I would bring up a reminder to the crane operators. If you start getting light while booming out with a piece (beam, column or bundle of decking) Immediately boom up and lower your load till you rig becomes stable. Fast forward a few years ago I was moving brush. I picked up a compressed bundle of brush, started forward and the up hill back wheel started coming off the ground. I quickly started dropping the bucket and the wheel came back down and stabilized the tractor. Glad my own info in the safety meetings was heeded.  
Steve A View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:35pm
Sorry for your loss, Bill.
Would it also be safe to add the wider the stance of the tractor--within reason-- the better the stability? Spin out rims are handy for that, and I like to put on the back blade when I'm moving a heavy load. The old narrow buckets from the 1950's didn't hold as much, but didn't put weight so far out at the edge of the tip point compared to most of the newer small tractors.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic