This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Found at the farm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found at the farm
    Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:36pm
I thought this was kind of neat. I have walked under this thing for almost 50 years, couple of months ago I notice the marking on the bottom. Thought it kind of cool to have another piece of AC stuff. One I didn't even have to buy!
Sponsored Links

BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:00pm
Still working I assume.
So that is a 50 year paint job? Anyone know what kind of paint they used for electrical transformers?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:36pm
maybe epoxy ??
I figure 2-3 hours  and someone here will post the original specsheet for that transfomer along with test data........Smile
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:50pm
A lot of the real early pots like that where painted with an oil base epoxy paint for weather resistance. I believe a lot of our transformers at work are powder coated now. That ole' bugger probably has PCB oil in it. If you see it leaking, better report it so the local power co. can change out the pot. I was just in one of our substations repairing a truck that broke down in the sub and glanced over to see a rectangular sign on one of the large units that said "Allis/Siemens". I thought... pretty cool....
Steve@B&B

Mike- I just noticed your in Newton, IA. The power co plant I work in is in Newton, NJ.! LOL!

Edited by Steve in NJ - 14 Aug 2019 at 4:52pm
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:51pm
Well get a load of this, I snapped this picture North of Newton KS.

Maximum use of available resources!
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:17pm
Mike I'm guessing the pole and transformer are close to 70 years old. I think your power company has got its monies worth.  JW your picture if of a voltage regulator. I bet it works as good today as it did when they hung it 50 years ago.    Tim  

1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
irlbeck A-C'S View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irlbeck A-C'S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:48pm
The pic JW posted is a Voltage regulator. It steps voltage up or down as load on the line increases or decreases.
On the cross arm above it there are 3 switches, source(in) load(out) and a bypass(one that is open in the middle) To bypass the regulator it MUST be stepped up or down into the neutral position. Meaning the voltage incoming is the same as voltage outgoing.
If it is not in neutral when bypassed it will explode..... The round item just above and left of the AC symbol is a dial that you watch when you step the device up or down to zero. A light in the panel then comes on along with the dial being on N indicating neutral...
Just a little useless info to pass along.

I love seeing all the AC stuff still out there working today.
It's good equipment..
B,C,CA,(2)WC's,(4)WD's,(2) WD45'S, 45Diesel, (2)D12'S Series 2, D12 Hiclear,(2)D12 Series 3, HD3, D17NF (3)D17 Series 4 Diesels, M-100 Grader,8550,A few Lawn tractors lots of other AC stuff    
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:22pm
There was a big AC transformer on the ground at the original AE Staley in Decatur IL.(now Tate & Lyle) Haven't been there for a few yrs but I imagine it's still there and working.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 6:40am
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

Well get a load of this, I snapped this picture North of Newton KS.

AC used to be the biggest supplier of these units in the country.... so I'm told. Used to see them all over my area but then the ice storm of '91 hit and took most out. There are a very few still left here.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:53pm
Sounds like quite a few of us work for power companies.

The substation transformers in Versailles Mo are AC.

The turbines and generators at Bagnal dam Lake of the Ozarks are AC. There is a placard on the side of the turbine housing that says made be Allis charmers. 2500 HP at 112 RPM. If I remember correctly. I know it’s 112 RPM. May be off on hp.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irlbeck A-C'S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:29pm

How is this for a little AC horsepower...
Just a little over 39,000
B,C,CA,(2)WC's,(4)WD's,(2) WD45'S, 45Diesel, (2)D12'S Series 2, D12 Hiclear,(2)D12 Series 3, HD3, D17NF (3)D17 Series 4 Diesels, M-100 Grader,8550,A few Lawn tractors lots of other AC stuff    
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:14pm
some big AC stuff...  at about 4:15

Years ago, we were able to take a tour similar to the one in the video.
After 9-11, those areas were off limits.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 5:00am
Craig are your control box's mounted to the reg like in that picture. Ours aren't, we don't want the line man fooling w/ it. lol  Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 8:38am
There seems to be several Newton residents here.

2500 HP at 112 rpms, that is some serious torque!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 1:27pm
Take the 39000hp at 90rpm if you want to talk torque!!!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Missed that! How big of a shaft would it take to transmit that?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irlbeck A-C'S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:53am
It's been a while since I looked at those turbines. There were 3 AC turbines in the hydro plant. The shaft was feet in diameter but don't know how many.

Tim our regulators are mounted on a plaform between poles. A few on the pole itself. Most panels are mounted eye level when standing on the ground. Eye level for most. There are a couple of shortys in the workforce....lol
I have worked on some regs that had a small can on the side. You unlatched it,turned the knob and watched balance beams line up to get it to neutral. That was some really old stuff.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 4:54pm
Mike said: 2500 HP at 112 rpms, that is some serious torque!
  - 117232 ft-lbs.  Bagnal dam has eight generators with a maximum capacity of 215 megawatts... that's 288319hp... or 36,039hp per generator... so the turbine you're noting is clearly just a little auxiliary power turbine (for powering lighting and controls, not feeding the grid).   Bagnal has 90ft of hydraulic head, that's 38psi...  how fast do the 8 MAIN turbines spin?  we can calculate a whole lot from that...

Steve said: Take the 39000hp at 90rpm if you want to talk torque!!!
   -That's 2281702ft-lbs.  At 49ft head, that means 21.2psi water pressure on 750 square feet of turbine surface area.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
woodsman89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodsman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 6:55pm
a few years ago on a tour of the cement plant in Mason City, Ia. I seen the bearings that the kiln rides on were AC. They're 3 feet in Diameter and the kiln at the time was a foot away from them because it was cold. When heated up and running it swells out to them.
If I remember right the main bearing of the Queen Mary prop. shaft is AC.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:28am
Thanks Dave for the calculations, that is a LOT of torque!
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Mike said:
2500 HP at 112 rpms, that is some serious torque!
  - 117232 ft-lbs.  Bagnal dam has eight generators with a maximum capacity of 215 megawatts... that's 288319hp... or 36,039hp per generator... so the turbine you're noting is clearly just a little auxiliary power turbine (for powering lighting and controls, not feeding the grid).   Bagnal has 90ft of hydraulic head, that's 38psi...  how fast do the 8 MAIN turbines spin?  we can calculate a whole lot from that...

Steve said: Take the 39000hp at 90rpm if you want to talk torque!!!
   -That's 2281702ft-lbs.  At 49ft head, that means 21.2psi water pressure on 750 square feet of turbine surface area.

Dave I’m sure your right about Bagnal. I didn’t remember the hp but I can tell you with certainty that it was 112 rpm. I don’t know why I remember that and not the hp but I guess that’s the way it goes. It’s probably been 12 years since I was there.

Edited by wekracer - 18 Aug 2019 at 10:45am
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

That is 2,282,000 ft/lb of torque Cool

Perfect for my D17!!!
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 12:09pm
That business made Allis serious money back in the day , there was an Allis on ground transformer thing down in the bottom by Rich Fountain , last year they brought an 80 ton crane in and special under slung trailer to load it and haul it out,, must have been a heavy rascal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic