This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD4
    Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 6:59am
I just bought a HD4 crawler. Don't have a manual so I'm learning by looking. There is a oil fill cap and dip stick under the floor that is very low on fluid, doesn't even read on dip stick. What is this for and what kind of oil do I use for this.
Sponsored Links

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 11:13am
THEY BOTH ARE FOR THE TORQUE CONVERTER FRONT PART OF TRANNY. I USE DEXTRON III IN MY HD4. IT IS BASICALLY AN AUTOMATIC TYPE TRANSMISSION FLUID. I BUY IT AT WALL MART FOR AROUND 12 DOLLARS A GAL. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 12:07pm
Type A, suffex A - check when hot  Should have some directions stamped into stick 
 Some are check with machine running - (cant remember if my H4 was that way or my 715B)
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Brainb1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 1:10pm
I have another problem. When the Gentleman unloaded the machine he stopped to change gears. Now the machine won't move forward or reverse. I have tried shifting everything. Nothing works. The only lever that will not move is the lever located by my left heal. Any Ideas?
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 6:09pm
COULD BE THAT THE PRESSURE TO CLUTCH PACK WAS LOST DUE TO LOW ON TRANSMISSION FLUID. ONCE YOU FILL IT TO WHERE IT SHOULD BE, IT SHOULD WORK OK. 
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 6:59pm
I think I have a original AC HD-3/HD-4 manual if your ready.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 7:20pm
Down between your legs under the seat is a 3 speed transmission box - on your left hand side on machine is the fwd/rev lever for the shuttle clutch which is hyd controlled .
 It also has neutral position - this lever should feel like there is a detent position in each movement .
 IF fluid is low it could be reason - it lost power to clutch pack and to finals

And when it does move - welcome to many hands and crossed foot mayhem with the 4 controls - brakes end up being used with one foot only and you will end up put of hands as you try to control bucket or blade and the throttle and fwd and rev. 
 DO NOT change direction at full throttle or you will soon have final drive parts you will be searching for . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Brainb1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 7:14am
Hey Chris, I have looked for a manual and found some reprints for around $40. If you have one what would you charge me to it?
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 7:29am
I have [ will confirm today ] original AC HD-3/HD-4 service manual, no parts book. I would take $40 for it, it is in a generic binder, but pretty sure it is bound so you could remove. Ive never had a use for it, but looking over it has all info required If i remember correct. 
cmsmoke View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsmoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 6:03pm
I ran a 1966 HD4 for many years and others ran the same machine before and after I did. We never throttled down to change directions and never had an issue.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 6:51pm
$1200 for the bull gear / $400 for the drive gear ,  20 + hours to replace , machine case if bearings hatch $400, axles $300, that is IF you can find anything besides used and worn parts . In fact that is used parts price I ended up paying to repair one side of my HD4
 Wonder if it's worth it to take a couple seconds to use decelerator or throttle down . 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 17 Apr 2014 at 6:54pm
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 7:30pm
I AGREE WITH COKE. SYSTEM IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR FULL THROTTLE SHIFTING. SOONER OR LATER IT WILL BREAK SOMETHING.
cmsmoke View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsmoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 8:23pm
There was no decelerator on this machine. It was a bucket loader with the weight pack. Say what you want, but it was bought new by the company I worked for. I ran it for 7 years starting in 1978 and it was around for many years after that.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 8:28pm
The HD4 is a pleasure to run with a decelerator pedal.I put one on my machine, I would never go back to using it without one. Shifting at full throttle is jerky to the operator and hard on the machine, or any machine as far as that goes. JMHO Tracy Martin
cmsmoke View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsmoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 8:51pm
There are plenty of machines out there that were meant to shifted at full throttle. I agree that throttling down would be easier on it, but you will have to show me in the owners manual where it says, you must. The only thing I ever did was make sure the machine was stopped before changing direction, if it won't handle that, then those parts will more than likely fail under load regardless.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:55pm
To each his own. I know for a fact each and every component of the driveline/drivetrain/transmission/rear end will last longer, if the engine is idled down before changing directions. Now, you go ahead and do what you want.
cmsmoke View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsmoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 8:03am
We can go the other way on this to. Heat is built up in the torque converter and shuttle every spool up. Throttle linkage will last longer if left alone. The engine and components such as governor weights will last longer. Lets not forget the extra step on the operator. The shift never was harsh as long as you stopped before changing. Tell me why the decelerator was optional on the loader model. Like I said... show me in the operators manual where it says you must. Speed gained by not having to throttle down was a sales pitch by many of the manufacturers and they put modulators in the shuttle to add lag and smooth the transition out. The HEF forum has a discussion on this as well. You are correct, to each his own. The fact remains that it wasn't the original design intent of the shuttle on the loader model HD4.
BStone View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 1:03pm
Have you heard about the kit to fit the AC 6060's on the crank shaft? Made after AC figured out the flaw and the machine was already produced and it wasn't in the original design of the machine? Some dozers came with them and some decelerators were added.No ones saying they can't be ran without decelerating....it just makes it operate smoother and last longER.
stan ures View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan ures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:15pm
Randeleky if you have not sold Manuel my old dad can sure use it
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 9:35pm
If you will PM me your e-mail address , I will try to send a copy of HD4 manual electronically. Randaleky
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 1:44pm
A few decades ago I had a H3 loader/backhoe, my first experience with a crawler tractor. I always ran it close to full throttle when back-filling trenches. I was very careful about feathering the forward/reverse clutch pack so that there was no shock to the final drives. I never ever had any issues with the final drives
Jack of all trades, master of none
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 2:00pm
Well guys you are paying the bill so run it the way you like.
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 6:58am
Originally posted by cmsmoke cmsmoke wrote:

I ran a 1966 HD4 for many years and others ran the same machine before and after I did. We never throttled down to change directions and never had an issue.

You were lucky!!!!! We sold them and final drives were weak and trouble in them!
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic