This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I-40 Oil Pressure Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easygoin4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I-40 Oil Pressure Question
    Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 2:33pm
I am kind of new to tractors and have not used my new toy much, and since I have owned it never used in the winter.  She stays under cover protected from the elements.  I live in Michigan and have started it up couple times in the past winters.
Question: it was 25 degrees out and my oil pressure gauge never moved.  It is a new gauge and has wokred flawless in the fall.  Is it because the oil is cold and I know good pressure is only about 12-18lbs.  She ran fine and no excessive noise or lifter noise.

I wanted to try it out moving some snow for my boys- but w/o chains and low tread I did not have much traction.
I was just wondering about the cold and the oil gauge.
Thanks in Advance.
Chris

Sponsored Links

Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 2:41pm
How long was it left sitting since the last start? I have a WD45 that i put aftermarket guages on so i can see them. Even in warm weather it takes about 30 seconds to get a reading on the guage, cold weather even longer. I wouldnt worry about it too much.
easygoin4 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easygoin4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 2:49pm

She has not been started in over a month- but fires right up.  I love my tractor and would like to try and figure out how to run the loader like the pro's.  It will just takes time and try to find some inexpensive chains and newer tires.

Thanks Again...

JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 3:38pm
when did this oil problem start?  After a filter change?
If filter was changed, check filter base for a upright tube that goes into the filter when installed.

If this tube is missing you will have no oil pressure, new tubes are available

moisture causes rust around tube griping the filter strings and brings the tube out with the filter.  Experience.
easygoin4 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easygoin4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 3:46pm

No last night was the first time.   I have gone thru all filters,base,tube last year.  The last time she ran all was fine and probably 20 degrees warmer out.

I took it as being cold oil, and since I know they do not generate much pressure I am hoping to try it again this weekend to see if any change.  I am considering doing another oil and filter change in the spring.  She has 82 hours on it since last one.

Thanks

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 6:58pm
Try getting it good and warm. Though cold oil generates more physical pressure than warm, it moves more slowly through the thin tube to the gauge.  Generally if you have 10lbs/thousand rpm, you are good, on slow running motors.
pineyjd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pineyjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 5:23am
My I 40 only has 5 lbs in cold weather 15 in warm,going to change out tube this spring,did filter change,but no change in pressure
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 4:54pm
I have experienced vehicles not showing any oil pressure when started in cold weather but it has been much colder weather. My father took out all the connecting rod bearings when he started his tractor one winter. He had not put in lighter oil because he had never planned to start it in the winter. I had a Dodge truck with the 360 V-8 and I really had to watch the oil pressure gauge when starting it at -30 to -40 even when new with 5W-40 oil. I would then have to put a torch on the oil pan.
Jack of all trades, master of none
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic