This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shuttle Clutch R & R

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shuttle Clutch R & R
    Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 8:12pm
Not rest or relaxation by any means! I removed the shuttle clutch today because I was having an issue with the machine not wanting to go backwards . Things came apart fairly easy but everything is so darn heavy... I used some allthread rod to help keep both halves of the machine in some sort of alignment. The throwout bearing needs to be replaced and I found one of the large C clips laying at the bottom of the case all beat up(shown in the bottom picture). It looks like one of the previous owners got a good deal on shims because there are more in there than is needed. After I took the shuttle clutch apart, I compared what I have to what my manual says I "should" have. The manual says I should have 4 disks in the low (front) half of the clutch and 3 in the rear half. I have 3 in each half. Anyone know for sure how many clutch disks I'm supposed to have and also what the spring length is supposed to be for each half. Thank you much!
Don
Sponsored Links

Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 10:07pm
The shuttle is shimmed during assembly. I would suggest using the maintenance manual to  reassemble it. 
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 9:41pm
Don, From memory only.  The shuttle assembly or the hi low range assembly must keep the length exactly the same at all times.  Therefore is a shim is removed from one clutch one must be replaced in the middle so that the lenght is exactly the same. 
I believe this has something to do with the linkage intregity.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
donw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 11:15pm
an update:
These are such nice machines to work on. I rebuilt the shuttle with 3 clutches in each half of the shuttle and adjusted it like the book says. Works like a champ! I admit it looked pretty daunting to imagine splitting this thing in half, but it was pretty easy. I've been pushing dirt for the past week.

Now on to gathering the parts to rebuild the diesel engine...

You are right in that the sum total of shims need to remain within the shuttle but the individual shim locations can have different thicknesses depending on where they are needed in relationship to the thickness of the bellville washers located within the pressure plates.

Don
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 7:39am
Don: Good to hear you got the Shuttle back together and working fine.  Keep up the good work.  Can you post a pic of your litte H-3 beauty?
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 11:44am
Glad to see you got it running Don. They are of a simple design easy to work on. Mine is still apart in the garage. Have been waiting for my free welder to come over.
1961 H3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic