This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much will aHD5G Lift ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongo56353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much will aHD5G Lift ?
    Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 6:08pm
I have a potential  buyer for my HD5G Loader  .. I cant find a spec. on how much
it will lift .. He wants to load rocks with it  .. I has two large weights on the back of the
machine .. Any Idea in LBS what it can lift .. Thanks Mark
Sponsored Links

Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 6:24pm
Norm Swinford book lists it at 1 cu yard and 16,200 lb shipping weight.  All the specs are not listed  for the HD5G but a 1 yd machine should be good to 5000 lb lift, quite a bit more to tip,  someone may have a manual out there.   If it is AC, this is the right place to get your answer.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 6:25pm
i am sure it will load rocks. i do not have an exact spec for it but i think it is a 1 1/2  yard bucket.  it will load rocks  or dirt no problem
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 6:50pm
Well,  hydraulic pressure is only about 1000-1200 psi, so with 2, 5.5 (I think, maybe 6) inch cylinders  that would be about 47 square in (or 56 for a 6 inch cylinder) times 1000 psi, which is about 47,000 pounds. However, the mechanical linkage is such that I'd guess that your lifting capacity is about 40% of that, so, it seems to come out to about 9-10 tons. Does that seem right to everybody?
Looking at the pic, I might be a little high on my 40% guesstimate, maybe more like 25%, so maybe 5-6 tons

Edited by LouSWPA - 15 Feb 2010 at 6:54pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 7:15pm
It may be able to pressure in at greater than 5 ton but a 1 yard bucket heaped to a yard and a half of clean white rock is only at 2 ton, white rock 1" minus or tailings is a little more and may go 3 ton but you can't fit 10 ponds in a five pound sack no matter how hard the wife tries!!
wayneIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayneIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 9:37am
I've lifted 3000# with mine using a chain over the cutting edge of the bucket, the crawler will tip and balance on the front truck roller and the idler, but not try to rock any farther with the weight.  The crawler only has 1 counter weight on the rear.  Previous owner claims that he used it to move a full 1000 gal. lp tank, but I think he had the chains hooked on the rear of the bucket going straight down to give the cylinders more mechanical advantage.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 4:35pm
I would bet it can't lift more than half its weight at the bucket center when arms are at max reach (forward).  That would be close to the 8000 lb if the operating weight is close to 16000 lb.   It should be tip limited, not hydraulic limited.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 4:49pm
I went back to Norm Swinford book, he does list some spec for the larger HD6G to get you in the ballpark.  It is 21000 lb ship wt,  12300 lb tipping load, 7900 lb lift capacity, 1.5 yd bucket.  I am thinking someone out there may have a spec book.  CAT published a lot of specification books to use for estimating jobs,  maybe Allis did that as well.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 5:07pm
Standard bucket is 1 yard, I loaded with it and heaping the bucket with black dirt would be 1 1/2 yards , will lift it to full reach with no problems , weight at about 3000 lb. Loading stumps and such with large dirtball, a 6 ft stump seemed to overcome center of tip point first but the machine would still lift it. 
 I have picked up items to a height of 4 ft weighing over 6,000 lb. At the lower stroke or below the center line of the track top I have pried out cement footings and such using leverage of machine drive and hyd lift of over 15,000 lb.
 The loader arm lift will pich up enough weight that the curl cylinders will not rotate bucket back level.
 Then also the pressure of the pump if the wear plates in the gear pump are worn will be less. I know i use to be able to kill engine with hyd pump if cylinders were full stroked , and the relief valve did not open soon enough. I have the HYDRECO pump on mine, early units used a Vickers pump.  Pump capacity is 32 GPM at 1800 RPM
 Scrapped a few cars (full size 70's) where I picked them up from side, with chain back to bucket through roof so width of car was in front of bucket and loaded onto trailer. If i picked them up length wise with front or rear in bucket the counterbalance made the machine a little tippy.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 16 Feb 2010 at 5:15pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
acisbest View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acisbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 7:31am
I have and HD6G without a rear weight. I've had solid rocks as big as the bucket in the bucket... I was riding on the front truck though... I've always been able to lift anything I could get into the bucket.  I  vaguely remember looking the load up and recall 7000 lbs as the limit... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic