This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD3 rear end question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD3 rear end question
    Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 8:14pm
I'm on to my next project with ol' Alice and I have a few questions before I get too far: Is there an "axle" that connects the rear sprocket to the ring gear cluster? Forgive my lack of proper terminology; I'm used to working on cars. The reason I ask is because I can turn the left sprocket by hand. I took off the sheet metal that covers the brake band housing and can see things turning when I rotate the sprocket. When the dozer is running, it only wants to turn left because only the right track has power to it. I'm wondering if anyone has experience in this department and can point me in the right direction. My guess is that if there is indeed an axle, it is broken or the ring gear limited slip cluster needs to be rebuilt.

Next question: When I separate the dozer to remove the shuttle clutch pack and roll it back on the sprockets, is this thing going to be fairly balanced or do I need a dozen friends here to help hold things from flopping around? My hope is to separate it and just roll the rear end back a foot and rest it on blocks so I can get to the shuttle clutch.

I really appreciate everyone's opinion and look forward to reading your responses.
Don
Sponsored Links

RichinWis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinWis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 9:36pm
The reason your crawler only wants to turn one direction, is usually because a steering clutch is stuck. They are located in the housing where you took the sheetmetal cover off.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 4:39am
if it only turns left, you are correct that something is broken. if the steering clutch was frozen, it would drive straight and turn right as that side would disengage. sounds like a broken something to me. i recommend getting a parts or service manual so you can see the insides before you go further than you have to. there are gears in the final drives, not a limited slip like a car. i have seen the turning clutches for sale for an h3 and they look like a car clutch and pressure plate. could be your clutch lining is shot or out of adjustment. i would hate to see you take it all apart for an adjustment. others more familiar with h3 will provide insight i am sure.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 7:58am
Unsure how close H3 is to H4 / on H4 the ring and pinion gears are solid to a drive housing, no spider gears. A axle shaft is indexed to this set but the carrier has a hollow center so Axel shaft slides into it so clutch pack is disengaged from gears.
 If turning the sprocket turns the clutch housing and drake drum, it should also turn the ring gear unless clutch is bad or the intermediate axle is not engaged.
 As far as balance on rear housing , I would block it onto cart or use a floor jack under it to move it back and not manhandle it.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 9:25am
I got my to shuttle clutch by taking out the motor and torque tube. But I was also rebuilding the motor. It is very heavy and you need to prop it when rolling it back. The sprocket is bolted to the axle, axle splines into the bull gear, bull gear meshes with the pinion gear, pinion gear bolts to steering clutch drum, steering clutches splines to snub shaft, snub shaft splines to ring gear. You shouldn't be able to turn the sprocket by hand. When you do, does the snub shaft turn? If it dosen't, its steering clutches.
1961 H3
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 10:23am
My H-3 stopped driving on the one side years ago. There is a spring loaded clip that keeps the axle from sliding out of the steering clutch and back into the the housing that holds the crown gear. That clip is disingaged and axle is slid into the center to lift out the steering clutch. Take the back cover off and be sure the axle is slid out and engaged into the steering clutch. The rear end is really a spool and has no spider gears.
donw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 2:11pm
Thank you all for the responses so far. My manual has been copied so many times that it is hard to tell from the pictures what anything is... The sprocket turns by hand and is turning the steering clutch but is not turning the gear pack inside the center housing of the final drive. I'll pull the cover tonight and look to see if the shaft has worked it's way out of the splines. Keep those suggestions coming!
Don
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 4:16pm
previous post is correct, no spider gears, differential, etc. think of it as a spool, much like racing rearends.  Both axles out of spool are turning same, using clutches, one on either side, to go or no-go sprockets.

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 04 Feb 2010 at 8:47am
donw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 7:19pm
Kip and I spoke on the phone and he mentioned using a flashlight to peer down behind the steering clutch pack to see if I could see the axle turn. It appears that the axle retaining clip fell off or broke and allowed the axle shaft to work back into the center housing gear assembly (rear end). It's worked its way back into the rear end so far that I think I will need to take off the left side brake compartment. I don't know how else I can convince the axle shaft to move out into the steering clutch pack. Any suggestions? Here's a picture of what I was looking at earlier.
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 1:13pm
Use a strong magnet to see if it will pull it back out. If it floated in, it should be able to pull it back easily. You're gonna need that snap ring to hold the axle. It should be put into the middle hole.
1961 H3
donw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 7:58pm
I wanted to post an update. I was able to remove the fork that slides the throwout bearing, allowing me to slide the throwout bearing far enough to get at the axle shaft if that makes sense. Thank you everyone for your help on this. Hopefully this helps someone else as well.
Don

donw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 8:01pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic