This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to lower the front of my wd-45 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to lower the front of my wd-45 ?
    Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 9:44am
Wanting to lowere the front for pulling how do others do it? My tractor is a tricycle front.
Sponsored Links

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 9:57am
smaller front tires and wheels or taller back tires . your really not worried about height you should be concerned with the degree of rake.

Edited by mlpankey - 30 Mar 2013 at 9:58am
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 8:59pm
Put smaller 15" rims off a RC and 4.00x15 tires on. Worked well on our WC. Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 6:10am
  A set of 38" rears will do it, I got a new set of rear wheels to go on mine, adapters should be done mid week, I will post a pic when I get everyhing mounted.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 7:20am
rc fronts 5.00-15 and 15.5-38 rear.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 8:08am
Here's a pic of my WD-45 with some free 15.5X38 tires I scored, I cut the 9 bolt pattern out and welded an 8 bolt repair center in, the regular 5-15 fronts.

"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
firephight View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 9:25am
Who sells repacement Rc rims? can't find them any place. I was thinking about having a set of " c " front hubs machined to fit the wd front spindle or have the spindle turned down to fit the smaller hubs
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

Here's a pic of my WD-45 with some free 15.5X38 tires I scored, I cut the 9 bolt pattern out and welded an 8 bolt repair center in, the regular 5-15 fronts.

what were these rims originally on?
The Other Orange View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 2:29pm
Do you know how much more the wide front weighs over the narrow?
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 2:37pm
a massey harris tricycle front end doesnt way much at all in under one
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

That was a useful post, thank you for contributing to the forum.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Ihateillinoisnazis Ihateillinoisnazis wrote:

That was a useful post, thank you for contributing to the forum.
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 7:52pm
 The front weights are 120#  for the early wc 180# for the wc -wd ones. and 320# for the wd45 ones a wide front is 350#  the bloster for a wide 3 bolt is 130# a corn picker narrow front to bolt onto a wide is 57# with the hubs. I have the light one on mine. But have a 4 bolt bloster to fix up and put a corn picker conversion on it. Just to look trick since I've only seen 2 like that ever.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:04am
Firephite,
those rear wheels were some light pressed steel 9 bolt wheels that have been on the farm here forever used as duals on a small tractor for seeding.  The centers were torn up, and I had bought a real nice set on an auction so I used the junky set for the Allis and moved the centers for a 60" tread spaceing when put on the WD-45 and welded the 8 bolt repair pattern in.  They are from a John Deere, but I don't know what.  A trip to the sandblaster and the tire shop, some new tubes, switching 2 pairs of tires and a pile of my time. 

I never weighed the fronts, but I know the narrow front I took out of the WD-45 is HEAVY.  That tractor pictured weighs about 3800# with no weights and a 190# driver on it.  Nothing's stripped off, and just a little added weight for the front and center weight brackets.  We don't have much around here for light classes, most places start at 4500# and up, once in a while there's a 4000#.  The tracks are hard enough that you need to add the weight to the front anyway. 

Edited by wi50 - 02 Apr 2013 at 8:09am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:02am
You will NOT find new replacement RC wheels. B/C, WC/WD...but not RC. Getting tougher to find serviceable used ones. I think that there would be enough demand from WC,WD,D17 tractor pullers that someone like Miller Tire would gear up and make them. This wheel is nothing more than a B/C wheel with the larger hub hole and bolt pattern of a WC. Kip. You do have the option of after market aluminum wheels if they are allowed and you don't mind the look! Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:20am
Anyone have a picture of an early wc versus the wd 45? Where did they put the extra weight? I'll have to put mine side by side someday.
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:52am
I have an extra early front pedestal.  There is more meat around the rear of it..more solid or straight across the back.  on the early WC, the one "corner" so to speak is missing.  I have never weighed them side by side, just was told the they are lighter so I picked another one up at an auction one day.  I'll get a pic tonight...if I remember
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 11:43am
I have a 35 wc at home. If I remember I'll take a look at that. I think that there is a lot more casting on the back of the 45 pedestal now that I was looking at pictures.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 1:28pm
All of them are heavier than the massey harris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 3:42pm
rules state has to be original or aftermarket parts reproducton for that make of tractor!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 4:38pm
Well if you dont tell them they will never know it let alone look for it
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:35pm

Well if you dont tell them they will never know it let alone look for it

Maybe he's an honest man unlike you.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:48pm
He needs to walk away from pulling then if he isnt willing to work within the grey areas of rules. Rules are only as good as the tech enforcing them.however on the front end unless he rolls the drops and run his draw bar long he will end up putting every bit of weight he removes from the nose back on the nose. The only place i ever removed weight and keep it off was in the wheels and tires engine and middle (trany area) of tractor. One can be surprised what the tubes and liners in each tire weighs.
I even change the solid steering round stock out to 1/2 schedule 80 black iron pipe
One will also be surprised how rolling ghe drops keeps the nose pulled to the ground.

Edited by mlpankey - 02 Apr 2013 at 7:01pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:59pm
It doesn't seam to grey at all. "Original or aftermarket parts for that model tractor".

You're giveing stupid advice with the Massey Harris bs.

Give good advice like machining the front hubs to accept a different bolt pattern front rim. It's easy to drill a new bolt pattern in some front hubs. Probably not easy for a pankey though.
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 7:05pm
 I have never, ever felt the need to add rake to my pullers, and wonder about its real world benefits.  Just get your weights right !
 As for panky , you stay in your grey area, your grey matter is of no help here.  Most people I pull with play by the rules, and when you win playing by the rules , it should bring satisfaction, cheat to win,? what a hollow victory.... feel sorry for those who stoop to that.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 7:07pm
Theres not a tech man around looking at front pedestals. If you read the post above your last you will see that its pretty much useless to do and if your going go and do it you might as well get the maximum weight reduction for effort and thats simply a massey harris pedestal .time you fabricate the plate to hold the factory wd correct front weights its covered where no one can tell

Edited by mlpankey - 02 Apr 2013 at 7:17pm
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 7:36pm
Mitch, I'm only gonna say this once, don't encourage others on this forum to be deceptive, or cheat.Only loosers who are wanna be winners would justify it as OK, and its not. 
 Mr Moderator has warned  against lieing, and other things unacceptable here,   take heed.

Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 7:46pm
Mitch knows more about lying and cheating. But nothing about winning.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:07pm
He said the rules said it had to be original or factory replacement for that make of tractor.so if we want to be honest rc wheels would be cheating cause they were used on a rc and not the make of tractor model he is running. How technical.on a technicality are we going to make of interpretation. Its pretty hard to cover up a change in wheel size

Edited by mlpankey - 02 Apr 2013 at 8:16pm
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic