This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abandoned HD21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:19pm
Having rescued a few from the bushes/water, I will encourage you strongly to give it a try, everyone will say it will never run again, that you are crazy etc. I have never done anything quite as large as a 21, but what an asset once you are successful. Make the deal, see if it will crank, get some fuel in it, get it started. It will be a ton of work, but don't be discouraged, be patient, you'll get it done with the help of some friends, and some blood, sweat, and maybe some tears. Good luck, keep us posted, I love this kinda stuff, Trev.
Sponsored Links

michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:35am
I knew were there was a hd19 just like that sitting in the woods on the edge of a pasture the man that owned the land said it had been abandon by its owner 40 years ago said he never came back to get it and as far as he knew it was running when parked said the man was supose to dig a water pond for him and never came back  anyway he would not sell it because it didnt belong to him so the land owner died and his son told me 2000 and haul it off but getting it out was going to be a trick so i wasent fast enough to come up with a plan so the scrappers took torches and a backhoe and hauled it out in pieces.
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:32am
Its sad to see a machine like that get mangled. I hope the 21 in question can be saved, Trev.
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 12:34am
Originally posted by TREVMAN TREVMAN wrote:

Its sad to see a machine like that get mangled. I hope the 21 in question can be saved, Trev.

x2.

good luck!
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 3:47pm
Just got back from a meeting with the owner. We met on the property where the 21 is and she walked me around the area, and at this point, it looks like it would be about impossible to move it. There are two small rivers and one creek all in the way of getting to the road.
There is one spot where the creek meets the main river (which is Elk River) where it's pretty shallow where you might be able to walk it across but the big problem is the other side is about 30' up and is very steep, muddy and unstable. Also she's not really too interested in getting rid of it and is probably wanting more than I can pay. But she said nothing's etched in stone and it's not going anywhere. So, she actually sounds like she'd work with me on this deal if I can figure a way to get it out without damaging the water flows. And, she does sound flexible on a price.
The cool thing is she was actually fine with punching a road to where ever we needed to get the thing out. I need AC Mel. :)
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 5:40pm
it got there someway, all you have to do is figure out how. maybe through a neighbor property? goo luck on the hunt.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 6:26pm
Please keep us informed on your project.:)
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 8:07pm
Dadsdozer- The way it came in has two bridges that have since been condemned and would not hold the weight of the big bad 21. Only passenger cars or trucks are allowed.

Brian S- I certainly will.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 9:15pm
Sounds like a challenging, but pure fun, project. If you do get it running, remember, you have a crawler here; they can go anywhere! Darrel
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 11:31pm

Remember trees make good bridges... and you can pull them out After you cross so you can use them at the next crossing...

These bridges on tar or gravel roads? and if gravel, how long are these bridges?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 1:31am
Hey Darrel, I had that go anywhere attitude when I got my first crawler. The logging winch on it saved me the shame of having to get another machine to get me outa the places I shouldnt have taken her on more than one occasion. A lot older and a bit wiser now, but I still like having those winches on the back, even when not logging........
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 3:07am
Aye, very handy things them wenchs ! Just need a wee bit bigger anchor to pull yourself out with a HD21 than a HD6 tho Embarrassed
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 4:18pm
Mactractor- One day when I'm feeling shameless I may post a picture of an HD11 that I got good and stuck- I hope I'm a wee bit smarter now.  Even after we pulled it out on dry ground it wouldn't move- it was like a giant lump of clay from the floorboards down- the tracks wouldn't even touch the ground!  Better to go with some caution- I would hate to see a 21 stuck like that.
Speaking of which, here's a story my old shop instructor told us:
While working on the Winnipeg floodway during the '60s, his outfit was using D9s to push load scrapers.  In one area, the footing was good on top, but like soup just a few inches below the surface.  The scraper went over the soft spot fine, but the cat went down in the cut, hopelessly mired.  From the sounds of things it was down so bad they didn't know where to even hook on to pull it- then someone suggested dynamite.
The local "blow 'em up" expert was called in- he walked around the machine twice, smoked a cigarette, and went to work.  My instructor said that after he set of the charges, the only damage to the machine was a shower of mud, and it drove out of the hole under its own power.
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Remember trees make good bridges... and you can pull them out After you cross so you can use them at the next crossing...

These bridges on tar or gravel roads? and if gravel, how long are these bridges?

Gravel. One's probably 20 feet and the other maybe 25-30 yards.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 4:39pm
http://www.ceforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3756

This is kind of off topic, but the above thread shows some pictures of the original floodway work.  Could be pictures of the outfit my instructor worked for too- I know he said they had a couple of 657s, which went to California after they were done- not much call for a scraper like that in this neck of the woods.
Anyway, wish you luck with the 21 project, if it goes ahead...
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 4:50pm
A little intermission from the 21.

AC Mel, here's that 16 that belongs to the gentleman we met at the logging conference.

He wants $6500.00 for it. He says it runs fine and everything works. Says he's kept it lubed and the manual tilt blade cylinders work good. Has the books for it too.
He doesn't care if it sells or not. If he can get what he wants, he'll turn loose of it. Says he's gonna pull it out in a month or so and power wash it, take pics and put it on Craigslist for like 10 grand. Shocked
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 1:45pm
OK ACcrazy.....this is like a good book you do not want to put down. Keep us posted on your adventures to get this old girl going again. 

Jeff
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 4:25pm
Gentlemen:  I really like this post on the 21.  I don't see many of them here in NYS.  Wish I could find one and have fun with them.  

I want to point out something I noticed in the pictures with the canisters laying on the ground.  That appears to be a three leaf plant and it could be poison ivy or poison oak.  Please be careful around that plant if in fact it is poison ivy or oak.  

I remember as a kid getting into a patch of poison ivy and laying in bed naked between the sheets with calamine lotion on.  Man I was one sick puppy.  

Just wanted to make you aware in case you did not see it.  Some folks have severe reactions to that stuff.  

Take care and keep this wonderful story on the HD-21 going!!!

Orangeman
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 7:54pm
Time to call in the Sikorsky Air Crane! Or, make friends with your local National Guard, maybe they have a Tank Copter, they can deliver the 21 over to your house...If it was only that easy! Good luck, I hope you can save this beautiful tractor, Trev.
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 8:08pm
Orangeman, thanks for looking out for us but I'm pretty sure it's not that dreaded stuff--it's too cold here. It is abundant inland though.

Jeff, Trev and everyone, thank you for the well wishes and positive comments. I really appreciate it. Smile
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 7:55am
Good morning fellas. Gonna meet with AC Mel in a few hours and show him the 21 and surrounding land. His professional opinion and sage advice on this endeavor will determine if we move ahead or throw in the towel.
I'll report back later today. 
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:02am
Surely two crawler enthusiests wont let her sit.  Big smile  I have a buda lanova 844 sitting in a parts machine.  i will gladly help with parts if you need em, i will never use them.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:24am
OK.. its been several hours.... what did he say.. what did he say.....?
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:47pm
Ok, guys we made the loop 3 hours to Eureka 3 back. Strickly a fact finding mission to see if we could help Bruce with the 21 salvage operation and to check on other ACs we've been watching over the years. The bad news is the HD20G loader very near Bruce is gone, I'm sure to scrap (was a perfect specimen) When we got back to Latonville we found that the HD16 from bruce's family had also gone to scrap. We were unable to go to check on an HD16G loader because the owners granddaughter was having a wedding related function at his house and the people that help him watch his property were unavailable beside the recent rain was to much for access problems.We are confident that we will be able to procure the 16G loader but after today's episodes we will become more vigilante

AC Mel  / AC CRAZY   The serial number for this tractor is HD21A 9435 LR we've never seen the "LR" before, anybody know?

AC Mel  and Dave   Some other things we observed is the water pump was removed, the solenoid is off the starter. The oil level on the stick is high indicating it probably has some water in it. (none of those are big problems)

This is the problem

The columns underneath could be a problem

The bridge looks pretty good from here.  In conclusion but certainly not definite  (3 hour road trip home discussion) lots of work to make it happen, a possible option would be to dismantle it with a backhoe size loader that could cross the bridges with a piece at a time.? Probably wouldn't get put back together but would still be a donor tractor, new bridges could be an option (LOL)  yes any thing to keep it from going to scrap (and they have the same problem location,location). Jurys still out on this one. We'll keep you posted (literally)

ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:15pm
I'd like to thank Mel and his brother Dave for going above and beyond helping out, what is essentially a complete stranger, (me). I only met Mel at the logging conference a few weeks ago. Mel and Dave, Thank You! You guys are awesome! These two gentleman have a very rich history with Allis-Chalmers machinery. In closing I'd just like to say I'm very glad to have met you. Smile
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:22pm
That's a spooky looking bridge...It will have to come out in pieces, a lot of work...good luck, Trev.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:29pm
that serial # puts it in early 58'.  one of the first hundred out of two thousand made that year. Sometime in 58' is when the change was made from buda lanova engines to the direct inject thousand series engines.  Perhaps the "LR" is some designation for factory equipped logging tractors,  with the rear winch, heavy fuel tank guard, and canopy?  just throwing out a guess here....

Edited by CAL(KS) - 06 Apr 2013 at 9:32pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 10:20pm
I'm with Cal on the LR designation- AC did have a HD21 "logger" model according to Swinford's book.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 10:23pm
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 11:00pm

I had posted this last year, My neighbor has this 21 was going to part it but hasn't so it is still for sale engine ran to where it is parked but steering is bad.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic